Rumour Dusty to the Suns?

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Seems to be one that's getting a bit of media coverage lately. Sam McClure went with the story this week but in the same breath wouldn't confirm if there was any substance and Jonathan Brown suggested it could be a possibility On The Couch a few weeks ago. When questioned by Nick Riewoldt if there was any substance, Brown was very coy and didn't say much at all. Do we think there's any substance to this one or is the deal to the Swans already locked in?

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Unless he's desperate to go (at less than top dollar), for a team like the Suns I'd steer clear.

I'd set the over/under for AAs left in Martin's career at 1.5 and would probably go the under, personally.

Unless you are locked and loaded for a 2023 flag, there's better value out there at the price Martin's probably going to command.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Would be a really bad move for the Suns as they are finally for the first time in their history building an organic list that seems like it is making real progress in becoming a team. Bringing in Dustin Martin, a player who has not played at his best for 2 years, who is now getting injuries and who would demand a huge salary, so much so the Suns may lose a few of their younger players just so they can have Martin for 2 seasons before he retires seems like an awful idea. It would destroy everything Gold Coast have been trying to build these last few years.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
Seems to be one that's getting a bit of media coverage lately. Sam McClure went with the story this week but in the same breath wouldn't confirm if there was any substance and Jonathan Brown suggested it could be a possibility On The Couch a few weeks ago. When questioned by Nick Riewoldt if there was any substance, Brown was very coy and didn't say much at all. Do we think there's any substance to this one or is the deal to the Swans already locked in?

If GC can get the substance, Dusty will go there.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Everyone knows that he's gone.

Dusty playing everywhere but Richmond?

“I’ve got no doubt he’ll be there next year,” Hardwick told reporters on Thursday.

“I’ve got no doubt he’ll be there next year,” Hardwick told reporters on Thursday.
Yeah, I was lying. I think he'll play for the Tigers.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Suns would be an odd pick. Are they going to win a flag in the next 2 years? Don't think so.

Swans make more sense as Dusty could be the difference.

The salary remains an issue, unless he's willing to take a pay cut, are clubs going to commit 1.3mil a year given his last 18 months?

It's not like they're going to get anything near his peak form 5 years ago.

My personal view is this is still media speculation and he will probably stay a Tiger still. I think the salary is a sticking point.

Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The Suns of 4-5 years ago may have leapt at this.

Where is the benefit for them now?

They have built a young, committed list that all look to be on the same page and all working really well as a unit. What would Dusty genuinely bring to them that they would benefit from in a premiership window that would still look to be 3+ years away? What on field hole would he noticeably fill that they wouldn't have covered with their current list in that 3+ year period?

GWT6

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2011
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Cocaine smugglers in Queensland;

ErGk9jnXIAI_lnq.jpg

Macca180

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2021
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good move for him and Gold Coast. He will enjoy himself on the Gold Coast, less notoriety and he will bring the crowds. oh and then there is the money.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The Suns of 4-5 years ago may have leapt at this.

Where is the benefit for them now?

They have built a young, committed list that all look to be on the same page and all working really well as a unit. What would Dusty genuinely bring to them that they would benefit from in a premiership window that would still look to be 3+ years away? What on field hole would he noticeably fill that they wouldn't have covered with their current list in that 3+ year period?
Jon Ralph said over the weekend that we were officially out of the running for Dusty because it was going to cost too much. However, the rumour about Buddy and Jesinta moving to the Gold Coast later this year may mean the Swans have cleared enough cap to bring in Dusty and perhaps Buddy will have a conversation with Stuey Dew if he's already moving to the Gold Coast in the off season. Who knows?

Back