Ytoojae

All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
St Kilda East
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Angels, Blazers, Patriots
"I got to speak with Dwayne earlier today, the first time in about two weeks, and I made sure to ask him what you wanted to know about your Australian stuff. He has been approached and it'll tie in with the second of the two movies that he has coming out -- more than likely they'll air the Australian ad then the movie trailer ad or vice versa. The Australian group wants to have several of their well known people copy his most famous catchphrase "If ya smell what the Rock is cookin'" and screw it up and then they want to have Dwayne do the line for the company and then push the product by saying "no, no, no get it right Jabronis can you smell what the company is cookin'". Dwayne's interested in doing it because as you know he spent part of his childhood in New Zealand and he got to see your sports when he was living there so he knows more about it than most of us do. The other thing that you asked as for them getting his permission to do it, he said that he gave them permission a while ago. He liked the idea. Again, it was something he remembered watching a little bit of when he was growing up so it brought back some memories for him. Dwayne's always sentimental"

So, there you go.

I can't confirm it from the Blues side of things (hence the 'rumour' tag, but, perhaps someone else can. However, I find the following commercial to be kinda hilarious

Chris Judd "If ya smellllllllll what The Judd is cookin'" (messes it up somehow)
Marc Murphy "If ya smellllllll what The Murphy is cookin'" (messes it up somehow)
Bryce Gibbs "IF ya smellllllll what The Gibblett is cookin'" (messes it up somehow)
The Rock "no, no, no, Jabronis, get it right. Can ya smelllllllllllllll What the Blues are cookin'" (people's eyebrow)
*highlights for about 10 seconds of CFC in 2009* "Know ya role Blues fans and get your memberships TODAY"
*membership hotline number & CFC logo => fade to navy/black*
*The Rock's movie commercial*

Hopefully they film it in time to air prior to round 1. Simple but would be the best ever AFL membership commercial.

For us WWE tragics, this will be sensational if this was to go ahead.

I'd mark out (only wrestling aficionados will know what that means) so hard, if this was to happen

Oh, Dwayne Johnson is The Rock. That ad would be pretty cool yet incredibly corny. Get him to the G in Round 1 and I'm sold! :D

What is the source of this discussion?

I too would mark out pretty hard. No better entrance, no more charismatic a wrestler as the Rock. I said at the time this marketing slogan would only work if the Rock was involved.

Whether you like WWE or not, you'd have to appreciate how hard this would be to make happen.

Please be so ... I'll be over the moon.

If this is true, that would be awesome. I originally hated the slogan, but tie it in with that ad, and thats awesome.

The source is as reliable as you could hope for from the WWE side of things. The Carlton side, well I'm not so sure of. Still, I'm very thankful that my mate was able to get the question answered.

Hopefully it pans out. A lot can happen in a few months.

On a downside, apparently the WWE is hoping to get The Rock Vs John Cena happening at Wrestlemania.

As Wrestlemania is late March / early April (I don't know the exact date for WM 2010) and the WWE would want to have Rock appear as much as they possibly can on live television in that time things could still very easily fall apart.

Of course, the WWE could just have a taped vignette once or twice with DJ overseas doing his movie stuff -- as that would still be DJ's #1 priority and to have Cena/Rock the WWE would be the ones who would have to work around DJ's schedule.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"I got to speak with Dwayne earlier today, the first time in about two weeks, and I made sure to ask him what you wanted to know about your Australian stuff. He has been approached and it'll tie in with the second of the two movies that he has coming out -- more than likely they'll air the Australian ad then the movie trailer ad or vice versa. The Australian group wants to have several of their well known people copy his most famous catchphrase "If ya smell what the Rock is cookin'" and screw it up and then they want to have Dwayne do the line for the company and then push the product by saying "no, no, no get it right Jabronis can you smell what the company is cookin'". Dwayne's interested in doing it because as you know he spent part of his childhood in New Zealand and he got to see your sports when he was living there so he knows more about it than most of us do. The other thing that you asked as for them getting his permission to do it, he said that he gave them permission a while ago. He liked the idea. Again, it was something he remembered watching a little bit of when he was growing up so it brought back some memories for him. Dwayne's always sentimental"

So, there you go.

I can't confirm it from the Blues side of things (hence the 'rumour' tag, but, perhaps someone else can. However, I find the following commercial to be kinda hilarious

Chris Judd "If ya smellllllllll what The Judd is cookin'" (messes it up somehow)
Marc Murphy "If ya smellllllll what The Murphy is cookin'" (messes it up somehow)
Bryce Gibbs "IF ya smellllllll what The Gibblett is cookin'" (messes it up somehow)
The Rock "no, no, no, Jabronis, get it right. Can ya smelllllllllllllll What the Blues are cookin'" (people's eyebrow)
*highlights for about 10 seconds of CFC in 2009* "Know ya role Blues fans and get your memberships TODAY"
*membership hotline number & CFC logo => fade to navy/black*
*The Rock's movie commercial*

Hopefully they film it in time to air prior to round 1. Simple but would be the best ever AFL membership commercial.
Dwayne Johnson. I have never head of the guy. I heard of Brian.

I've heard of Dick?

(nah seriously..)

:D

Can you imagine the s**t we'd cop if this really happened though. Next thing you know Ric Flair would be running around the G in a Richmond top screaming WOO!

im somewhat doubt they would use the slogan if the rock wasnt part of it in someway.

can't wait

It really was the only way it was ever going to make sense.
It would solidify the slogan and put a face to it.

You could do worse than having The Rock endorsing your club.
It would be a coup for Carlton and certainly restore faith in what at first seemed half baked (excuse the pun)

Why don't we just get Rhys O'keeffe (ROK) to come out and yell Can you smell what's cooking?

99.99% of the supporters would think it was The Rock.

I'd love to have Judd asking ROK to scream the slogan for a commercial before they have a quick cutshot to Rhys O'keeffe stuffing up the slogan. I'd LOL if they had The Rock coming in to shot totake the mic off our ROK and say No, no, no! You're doing it all wrong.

Then bellow the slogan.

*faps*

FWIW, this smells like bullshit.

There is no way he would do this for free. This will cost the club a f**ing fortune. I think it would be great, but seriously, how much is too much?

Just sling him a membership, that will do.

That could only truly be evaluated on membership / attendance numbers.
Marketting is a necessary evil, if you want to look at it that way.
We all look for short term gratification in order to endorse our own appointments, but more often than not the future is now.

Irrespective of what we may think of him personally, this is Jeff Kennetts forte.
He has no fear of suffering short term ridicule in order to meet long term objectives.

We have to pitch in now and do it hard to capture the our future supporters.
Not all supporters come from a family edict type basis.

CFC had a the most visible campaign last year and need to back it up in coming years, in order to attain future memberships.

There is no way he would do this for free. This will cost the club a f**ing fortune. I think it would be great, but seriously, how much is too much?

With the amount of publicity we'd generate from this, I don't think $$$$ should stand in our way of getting DJ to come out here and do some promo work. Still, how much do you really think he'd cost?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back