Dwayne Russell, clueless idiot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GO YOU CROW BOYS
Russell is one of my preferred to listen to tbh. I quite like the player history stuff and esp that he does it very well for SA boys. Gives the commentary box some balance in that respect for mine.

Not sure where people feel he is anti-crow. I've never really felt put out by anything he says. Maybe some people are too used to the crow-bias we often get??

When he constantly highlights the fact that our players are ex-victorian and would be "loving the chance to play back home"... it gets your goat after a while. And also, because he's a south aussie - he should know their bloody names. Tippett and Walker don't look alike yet you'd think they are one and the same to him.

RealSlimShady

Team Captain
Suspended
Apr 4, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
If walker watches the reply, he'll wonder whether he was actually playing. On a number of occassions, Russell referred to Walker as Tippett. Colbert was equally as bad and annoyed me how they kept referring to the Edwards mcleod dispute.

He referred to Walker as Tippett then Tippett as Walker in the space of 10 seconds.

Alecks

Debutant
May 16, 2007
Purgatory
AFL Club
Adelaide
I love listening to quartermain commentate a losing hawthorn match, you can almost hear him crying :D I think that all commentators seem to dislike the crows. They get excited when we are losing and disappointed when were winning, you can hear it in their voices.

Sep 16, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GO YOU CROW BOYS
When he constantly highlights the fact that our players are ex-victorian and would be "loving the chance to play back home"... it gets your goat after a while. And also, because he's a south aussie - he should know their bloody names. Tippett and Walker don't look alike yet you'd think they are one and the same to him.

And they probably are!!

FFS - the boys get a chance to play in front of their parents and friends who don't seem them much and we get precious about it??

Everyone makes mistakes on names.

look - he annoys you, fair enough. But he is far from a clueless idiot - he knows more about football than most of us know about internet forums.

porpoise

Senior List
Jan 13, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Russell is the second best caller going around (second only to Commetti) by my reckoning - and to most surveys on the topic. The fact he is a South Aussie is a real plus as he can usually provide some local knowledge on a player.

DOn't know why many think he's anti-Crows, I don't see this at all.

DavidSaywell

Senior List
Jul 28, 2009
Prospect
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts Man Utd
Kellie Underwood's voice is like fingernails on a blackboard. And Tony Shaw is an absolute twat

Russell is the second best caller going around (second only to Commetti) by my reckoning - and to most surveys on the topic. The fact he is a South Aussie is a real plus as he can usually provide some local knowledge on a player.

DOn't know why many think he's anti-Crows, I don't see this at all.

Everyone thinks every commentator and special comments caller is anti-their team.

The only ones who don't suffer this are McAvaney and Cometti, and they fall foul of people and polarise for being too excitable and past it.

PortBrillance

Trump Donor - 16' 20' 24'
Jul 9, 2009
TRUMP WON 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal, Adelaide City
I think he will be calling the Port v Richmond game, he will be creaming himself as its our 140th celebration match. He isnt too bad though, compared to BT and Kellie underwood

Dandy_GO

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 25, 2005
Yunnan, China
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Sunderland
I don't mind Dwayne, and I've never really understood the calls of bias. There are some pretty terrible commentators going around, but he's not one of them.

Mong

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Crows
I don't mind Dwayne usually, but I agree with the OP regarding the Brisbane game. I just watched the replay last night and he was particularly bad. Going on about McLeod-Edwards situation and mentioning at least twice and possibly three times that Blight was sacked in 99.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Let me tell you, you don't need to know crap about internet forums to be a moderator :D Everything's so nice these days with web forums, with menus and check boxes and everything. I remember using the original YaBB system, those were glory days :D

Sometimes I regret not going on with computer science, but then I see how hard my old CIS friends are working compared to me and the moment passes :p

Sometimes I regret not going on with computer science, but then I see how hard my old CIS friends are working compared to me and the moment passes :p

The stuff you learn in first year is generally obsolete by your first year of employment; all you can really keep is basic practices and the mathematics. I got out early.

finn

All Australian
May 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
norwood, adelaide uni

actually walker and tippett move in a very similar way - and with both having slightly mussed dark hair, from the front its understandable. i mixed them up as well.

in the end, do people watch and support their team or listen to commentators? I swear sometimes people are more interested in having a whinge than finding something positive - if its a real problem turn the volume down, listen to the radio or make your own commentary and discover how difficult it is.

Swans120

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manly, Waratahs
Why does he find it necessary to make ridiculously over-zealous and over simplified comments all the time?

He always claims that this one game could send team X to the finals. They can make the finals on the back of this game.

I don't think he's biased, he's just a shithouse commentator.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I like Russell. People get up in arms because he often mentions a players background and knows a few tid bits about their family. Somehow people read it as a veiled "he's going home" sledge even though he does it about players from all states.

People bag Brian Taylor too and he's just about my favourite. Oh well.

The worst team is undoubtably the Saturday night Brisbane crew with Campbell and Lynch. Somehow they make every game seem boring. Whatever token Western Australian they have at Subiaco is always rubbish too and always has been (Glendinning through Langdon through Wilson through Jakovich).

And Tony Shaw is excruciating. It's no surprise he was a poor coach.

Interceptor

All Australian
Aug 20, 2009
London, UK
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Easily the worst play by play commentator around:

-huge ego (thinks he knows everything and won't admit mistakes)
-endless use of crappy commentary cliches
-spews out worthless player triva
-continually uses stupid terms like 'spears it' and 'floats it' when 'kicks it' or 'boots it' would do just fine
-often tries to second guess umpiring decisions (to be fair, this is common)
-talks up teams' chances when they're dead and buried late in a match
-ex Port, whadya expect?

cammo84

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
People bag Brian Taylor too and he's just about my favourite. Oh well.

I really like BT - he seems to enjoy the lighter side of the game and likes to put a bit of humour into his commentary. I remember a game a couple of months back, an umpire grunted when he bounced the ball and BT kept impersonating the grunt every time that particular umpire bounced the ball again.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
I don't mind Dwayne, and I've never really understood the calls of bias. There are some pretty terrible commentators going around, but he's not one of them.

What I dislike about Dwayne is that he consistently brings up negative aspects of the Crows recruiting and uses them as a veiled crack. Little facts are okay every now and then, but it seems like every game of ours he comentates he will bring up the same s**t over and over again. An example is when Reilly has the ball he will talk for the 100th time about how the Crows took Reilly before Del Santo in the draft, or during the showdowns prior to this year he would mention the Matthew Bode trade which Port used the pick on Burgoyne. I have noticed that he has now conveniently stopped talking about how we drafted Dangerfield instead of the Brad Ebert who was an All Australian junior now that everyone knows that Dangerfield was clearly the better pick of the two.

Where the bias calls comes from is that on the flipside I never heard him say stuff like that Tom Harley was at Port before they traded him away for a draft pick that they used on Adam Morgan. The worst though is where he bleats on about the Crows picking Ken McGregor over Pavlich yet has never once said that Port took Adam Morgan and overlooked Pavlich.

Riggy1

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 7, 2008
here, there, everywhere
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS, NA Roosters, ATL Falcons
On the recent talk about BT in some of these last posts
I used to love him, but this year he has really gone over the top in the umpire bashes (or trying to point out how they ****ed up)

When he's not saying stuff like "that was a throw umpire" "he dropped it, it's holding the ball" I like him

but all these calls that makes him seem like an arrogent prick thinking he's bigger than the umpires. Just drive me crazy. I've just about cut down on my foxtel veiwing to just about include Dwayne Russell games (when it's not Adelaide I can stand him, and if it's Adelaide, I guess I have to put up with him)

cammo6556

Cancelled
10k Posts Baghdad Bombers - Sweet F.A. BeanCoiNFT Investor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Oct 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Anyone>>>>Kelli underwood>>>>Sam lane (I know she doesn't call games but she can't string a sentence together)

but Russell is in the rear of the commentator category. The game Tim lane and underwood called together this year was Nathan Thompson-esque in it's ignorance

WALL-e

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Magic, Sturt, Ravens, Duke
If you mixed Kelli Underwood and Sam Lane, you'd only have to mix in someone else who could keep up with the play and BAM, we got a female commentator.....and mix in Pendlebury's missus as well beause...yeah.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back