Opinion Dwayne Russell: Richmond offer rest of competition a lesson in style, culture

Remove this Banner Ad

no one ever said professional sport is safe, but they have been extremely well compensated for risk and hardship. Dean Kemp gotta get on the gravy train

Agree that any sport comes with risks.

Agree that NFL players have been compensated. Is it a level of "extremely well"? I dunno. I dunno how much it costs to live with, or treat, a brain injury. I dunno how well any of them understood the increased risk when they took it, either.

I'm gunna assume that you believe Dean Kemp, or any professional Aussie Rules players, who now live with a brain injury because of Aussie Rules should be compensated. But "gravy train"? At best, that's a dark choice of words, cat.

I don't care if Dwayne wrote it, or if he's a flog, or if his ghost writer wrote it. The fact that anyone wrote it and that it's now becoming more widely recognised even if grudgingly so, about my team Richmond makes me bliss out.

My kids now look at me differently...like I'm some sort of Messiah for leading them (dragging them) to the promised land. I walk a bit taller. My blood pressure, after a few years of being off the charts due to an illness is now normal. I smile a lot. I don't bite people's head off or growl at s**t that I can't change anyway.

I could go on and on and my guess is we probably all could. In some ways this team has changed my life. I am a happier person. Maybe I took it too seriously but boy do I have calm perspective now.

Amazingly it's not just because we won 2017. For me it's always been how we play. Having a red hot go. Tackling and pressure frenzy. Genuine teamwork. Solid citizens. Running through brick walls. That's how I learned to play and love the game and my team. I stood on four empty beercans at the G in 1982 so I could see and watched us fade away in the rain with the tallest forward line you've ever seen in that second half. Who knew then.

So 2017 and since then has been bonus on top of bonus. Nearly 40 years waiting and enduring was worth every jibe. We now play a game style that is so simple that anyone can see but few others can commit fully to for a whole game let alone a whole year. Without handouts and concessions. The hard way. Rattling tins and fluffing draft after draft. I guess it proves that no matter what, you have to have 100% buy in. Nothing else matters as much as total commitment to your mates. Tactics. Stars. Umpires. Luck. No, just all in.

So I hear where you're coming from Dwayne. Or whomever. And now slowly it seems does everyone. I love watching my team because I know what I'm going to get and if you want to call it a brand then go ahead. Because it's branded all over Richmond, having fun and playing footy the way it should be played, hard, fair and truthful. Honest hard working together.

I was in the habit of reacting to other teams, you know who they are, photocopying our style. Now I'm actually flattered they do because it's such a good style. A winning style. I'd copy it too because I love how we play.

There will be more recognition of the Tigers coming because they HAVE changed football - for the better IMO. They've shown you can use the tools at your disposal both on and off the field to create a culture to be proud of. A wining culture that is still humble and fun and where sacrificing for a mate to create something for all, is worth its weight in yellow (and black) again. How Australian is that.

So now I just grin all the time like the loaded dog and it doesn't matter QUITE so much if we win lose or draw because my team gives it everything, ever time. That's all I've ever asked.

Have a red hot go. Amazing how often that results in a win.

So rather than tell Dwayne he can't get on the wagon or the train, I'm gonna take a leaf out of Benny's book and just keep adding carriages and yelling "All aboard" !!

Thank you RFC for giving me a big part of my life back.

The Crows may never get over it. And I doubt Hawthorn will recover in time to overcome Melbourne next weekend

cant recall a team has gone on and won a week after losing to us this season

I think only about four teams have lost their handicap line the week after playing the Tigers in 2018. This means that teams are being underrated by the markets immediately after having played the Tigers.

As someone who is involved in financial markets this scares the s**t out of me.

When you get in a taxi and the driver starts giving you a lecture about a stock that you were in a year ago. When the local mechanic, your father in law, the barber...start giving advice. The greatest buy of all time, beautiful business model, cant lose...

SELL!.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't care if Dwayne wrote it, or if he's a flog, or if his ghost writer wrote it. The fact that anyone wrote it and that it's now becoming more widely recognised even if grudgingly so, about my team Richmond makes me bliss out.

My kids now look at me differently...like I'm some sort of Messiah for leading them (dragging them) to the promised land. I walk a bit taller. My blood pressure, after a few years of being off the charts due to an illness is now normal. I smile a lot. I don't bite people's head off or growl at s**t that I can't change anyway.

I could go on and on and my guess is we probably all could. In some ways this team has changed my life. I am a happier person. Maybe I took it too seriously but boy do I have calm perspective now.

Amazingly it's not just because we won 2017. For me it's always been how we play. Having a red hot go. Tackling and pressure frenzy. Genuine teamwork. Solid citizens. Running through brick walls. That's how I learned to play and love the game and my team. I stood on four empty beercans at the G in 1982 so I could see and watched us fade away in the rain with the tallest forward line you've ever seen in that second half. Who knew then.

So 2017 and since then has been bonus on top of bonus. Nearly 40 years waiting and enduring was worth every jibe. We now play a game style that is so simple that anyone can see but few others can commit fully to for a whole game let alone a whole year. Without handouts and concessions. The hard way. Rattling tins and fluffing draft after draft. I guess it proves that no matter what, you have to have 100% buy in. Nothing else matters as much as total commitment to your mates. Tactics. Stars. Umpires. Luck. No, just all in.

So I hear where you're coming from Dwayne. Or whomever. And now slowly it seems does everyone. I love watching my team because I know what I'm going to get and if you want to call it a brand then go ahead. Because it's branded all over Richmond, having fun and playing footy the way it should be played, hard, fair and truthful. Honest hard working together.

I was in the habit of reacting to other teams, you know who they are, photocopying our style. Now I'm actually flattered they do because it's such a good style. A winning style. I'd copy it too because I love how we play.

There will be more recognition of the Tigers coming because they HAVE changed football - for the better IMO. They've shown you can use the tools at your disposal both on and off the field to create a culture to be proud of. A wining culture that is still humble and fun and where sacrificing for a mate to create something for all, is worth its weight in yellow (and black) again. How Australian is that.

So now I just grin all the time like the loaded dog and it doesn't matter QUITE so much if we win lose or draw because my team gives it everything, ever time. That's all I've ever asked.

So rather than tell Dwayne he can't get on the wagon or the train, I'm gonna take a leaf out of Benny's book and just keep adding carriages and yelling "All aboard" !!

Absolutely spot on,great post.. I think about it a lot now and remind myself to really soak everything up and enjoy it , savour it. As you say even an annoying bloke like Dwayne Russell. A member ripping his membership up for wine says more about the member to me anyway.
But I more think about how much it must hurt some to say what they’ve had to say about us and it makes me smile.
But mostly I am determined to not take this team for granted, not to become one of those opposition w***ers and to really soak up and appreciate these heady days because they don’t last forever.
So I like you pay no heed to the pissy little things and also try to remember just how s**t we really were and how much s**t we copped. Ask a Carlton fan if they think k anyone has anything positive to say about them. Actually that’s enough reminder for me, that’s the alternative and it doesn’t seem so far away all of a sudden. * that, give me a Dwayne Russell love piece every single time.

Last edited:
sorry don't care what he says , he is still a flog

The responses in this thread (like the one above) make me a little embarrassed to be honest.

How about we show some humility and graciousness? I suggest those who’ve written these types of replies have a hard look at yourselves.

Great article to read, very much enjoyed it

That’s insulting. As a 15 year plus consecutive member, I’ll stay on thanks.

derwayne not only called us being s**t ( fair enough we were s**t)
Derwayne actually revelled in and enjoyed calling us s**t ( unprofessional and unfair
Thats why derwayne is a campaigner
Meh. That’s your interpretation. People generally aren’t being that nice when they bag a club.

Can we not just be thankful that these articles are now being written about us? It was a pleasure to read tbh. We should take it as the ultimate compliment that the club has been able to turn people like Dwayne around, rather than throw out mindless pot shots.

And thus is coming from someone that really does not like his commentary.

That’s insulting. As a 15 year plus consecutive member, I’ll stay on thanks.

Meh. That’s your interpretation. People generally aren’t being that nice when they bag a club.

Can we not just be thankful that these articles are now being written about us? It was a pleasure to read tbh. We should take it as the ultimate compliment that the club has been able to turn people like Dwayne around, rather than throw out mindless pot shots.

And thus is coming from someone that really does not like his commentary.

It was a joke mate. Relax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone who is involved in financial markets this scares the s**t out of me.

When you get in a taxi and the driver starts giving you a lecture about a stock that you were in a year ago. When the local mechanic, your father in law, the barber...start giving advice. The greatest buy of all time, beautiful business model, cant lose...

SELL!.

So what you're saying is Deeerwayne is a shoeshine boy?

Your not wrong there!
Last year going to the work's Chrissy party i had my taxi driver wax lyrical about Bit-coin investments and how they were the best thing since sliced bread!
You can't lose! Blahhh Blahh...put your money init!!! :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back