Multiplat Dying Light 2

Jun 10, 2016
WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Arsenal
Encountered my first bug last night.
An audio bug which killed all sound and let off a distorted high pitch buzzing noise.
Despite that, loving the game so far.

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
am enjoying it thus far though most of my 5ish hours have been spent dialing it in. finally settled on DLSS performance mode so i can enable the RT for ambient occlusion and global illumination @ 4K and still manage 70ish fps. lovely-looking game generally.

first-person melee is always hard to pull off (condemned: criminal origins is my fave in this regard) but the combat here seems sufficiently weighty. am seeing lots of complaints about it but i think it's decent.

have a mate in town tomorrow so we'll be checking out the coop.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
This is a blast. Still in the first area (assuming progressing the story through the metro tunnels unlocks the second map) and pushing 20 hours. Can't report on the story because I have NFI what's going on as we've been getting too side tracked just doing events and dark hollows and stuff while doing laps of the map. Still haven't completed the THV genomics centre. Got to the bottom then got wrecked by volatiles. Hoping to go back with some upgrades and better weapons but it's hard when they one shot you.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Up to the second map. A bit of the story involved in getting to it was pretty hectic lol. Definitely running into more bugs the longer we play. Nothing major but it still needs another patch or two to polish up. They are things like quest NPCs bugging out in ways but after a while you know to just guess where the next part will be and they'll fix themselves, side activities like Anomalies (mini bosses) despawning mid fight, and general multiplayer weirdness where the game simply no longer responds right.

Main quest line has a fair bit of fetch filler. Stuff like "oh that item doesn't work, go get another from this location" two or three more times. Some of the main missions really shine though. Noticing several of the dark hollows are reused quite often for fetch side quests. It's not too bad because it's an excuse to go out at night but I'm definitely to the point where I'm leaving side quests that sound like fetch to do when I'm looking to kill time.

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
the "Twist" at the end of act 1 is the most overused twist in media. you could see it coming at least half way into the first act.

Just once i would like a game or show who use the same plot point to not try an reveal it was a shock twist for the main character, like something where the main character suspected or didnt care about.

Well apparently that was too spoilery. But the Hackon twist is the laziest trope in media.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Have been saving random clips and went through them tonight. Nothing spoilery and all from first area so pretty early on. I'm well into the second map now and level 5 so these are from the first couple days with the game.

Just mostly some funny glitches, janky behaviour (anyone who has played it co-op will know exactly what's going on with the healing clips lol) and random gore that I thought looked cool at the time.

Feb 22, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City
Have been saving random clips and went through them tonight. Nothing spoilery and all from first area so pretty early on. I'm well into the second map now and level 5 so these are from the first couple days with the game.

Just mostly some funny glitches, janky behaviour (anyone who has played it co-op will know exactly what's going on with the healing clips lol) and random gore that I thought looked cool at the time.

Lots of muscle fibres twitching after death there. Haha

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Just finished the game in 56 hours. Could have spent more as I had quite a few side quests to go but with games coming out next week I wanted to wrap this up. One of my mates is up to 80 hours but is doing more side stuff than me. While I did have more side quests constantly popping up (some are just disguised parkour and combat missions though), I'm not sure how they came to the conclusion that this would take 500 hours to 100% to compete. Unless they're talking about clearing every dark hollow and convoy etc but they can't be 'cleared' and are simply locations to constantly looted for resources.

I didn't mind the story and find the different permutations depending on choices interesting. I started the epilogue after a mate and finished it before him because we made different story decisions so it played out differently.

I like how it feels like you are slowly rebuilding civilisation and pushing the zombies back as you level up your faction and turn on things like power. Really solid game. It's a bit buggy still which I'm sure will be fixed in due time, and some people I know aren't into grind (lots of the side quests are fetch this, kill that). A really solid 8/10 from me.

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm near the very end of the main story now.

I've absolutely loved it. The story, characters, choice based system and the open-world were all great, and there were a few unforgettable missions too. I got deeply immersed in the world and I love how you can pick which faction to side with.

It sucks that it's got a few bugs, and some of the trophies are missable and glitched which is a shame for those seeking the platinum. But other than that I'd probably give it a 9/10.

Cyber_punk

Doomer
Feb 16, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A few hours in, I wish the places you clear for resources would have ticks or be greyed out on the overmap so I don't confuse them with each other.

The grinding you need to do to get new weapons is probably a little too much and not a fan of having to constantly use mods to repair them.

Have died a few times on normal but never felt unfair. A lot of controls to adapt to early.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
A few hours in, I wish the places you clear for resources would have ticks or be greyed out on the overmap so I don't confuse them with each other.

The grinding you need to do to get new weapons is probably a little too much and not a fan of having to constantly use mods to repair them.

Have died a few times on normal but never felt unfair. A lot of controls to adapt to early.

Not ticking off dark zones if I cleared them was annoying me a bit too. After a while I got used to it though as I started to accept they were just places you could return daily for resources.

Cyber_punk

Doomer
Feb 16, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not ticking off dark zones if I cleared them was annoying me a bit too. After a while I got used to it though as I started to accept they were just places you could return daily for resources.

I have got a bit more used to it especially since many of them are the same interior.

Game really picked up as soon as I met Lawan. Finding it very addicting at the moment.

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I have got a bit more used to it especially since many of them are the same interior.

Game really picked up as soon as I met Lawan. Finding it very addicting at the moment.

Yeah I was finding it slightly inferior to the first one to start with but then when it opens up into the second part of the city it really soars past the original.

Cyber_punk

Doomer
Feb 16, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Alright so I just finished this so I'll post some brief overall thoughts.

-Had lots of fun with combat, which made up for a lot of it's limitations. The chase sequences and drop kicking enemies off buildings never got old.
-Liked the music, thought it caught the general mood well. Metric's "Help I'm alive" is one of my favorite songs so it was nice to hear it in the game.
-The game still has a significant amount of small bugs (for me black screens and mute voices during cut scenes or quests not triggering straight away, some teleporting, and a windmill that can't be activated) - while nothing game breaking, they do kind of add up and get pretty annoying after a while which hampers the experience a bit
-Hopefully it can be optimized more. I had to turn off dx12 because it was crashing my frames and the shadows were becoming like blocks. If Far Cry 6 can do it so can this
-The puzzles in the stations are probably about right. Any more and it would have become tedious though.
-The middle part of the game's story is the strongest - basically from when you first get chased by Waltz into the second map and the attack on the canteen. But it really falls apart in the last few missions in my opinion (I got the 'happiest' ending). Just felt like Waltz's motivations for nuking the city weren't fully fleshed out and it was more of a 'just fight me already cuz I'm the bad guy' deal.
-The outside world itself is fairly vibrant which is refreshing change in the zombie genre.
-The interiors are mostly cut and paste and all the same. Quite lazy.
-Any sequences with Volatiles were scary since they are incredibly deadly in groups. So I did get some good scares there.

I know they are adding new game plus, I just hope they add manual and multiple saving. For a game with multiple choices it's essential. Don't make me start a whole new game for that please.

Overall, I'd say it's around a 7.7. Not a classic as I was probably expecting but there's a pretty good experience to be had here and with all the updates and support the devs give it over the next few years with fixes perhaps it will become even more memorable and push into the 8 territory.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
About 10 hours in. Really enjoying it. Combat is really good and parkour is amazing.

Not sure why they have dialogue trees. Doesn't seem to impact the action at all.

Ive got a Bravia TV. This is one of the games (Rage 2 was another) where the HDR makes the colours so intesnely bright, I have to turn it off. Skin and reds such as fire turns bright pink.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
About 10 hours in. Really enjoying it. Combat is really good and parkour is amazing.

Not sure why they have dialogue trees. Doesn't seem to impact the action at all.

Ive got a Bravia TV. This is one of the games (Rage 2 was another) where the HDR makes the colours so intesnely bright, I have to turn it off. Skin and reds such as fire turns bright pink.

One of my favourite games this year.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
This 2nd city is remarkable. The movement across ist is extraordinary, and the buildings are often 'go-innable'. Not just GTA cereal boxes.

I spent so much time in the first map not really knowing what to expect by the second. The first map would have been good enough in its own right as the entire game map. The second map just blew me away. I loved the cut scene when you first go there too. I did miss the roof running from the first area as a way to get around quickly but fully upgrading the glider thingy eventually made up for it.

Back