Society & Culture Dying traditions

Remove this Banner Ad

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do people still say grace?

Only time I've ever said grace was in the presence of people born in the 1920s or earlier.

My ex's family weren't religious but still said grace every night before dinner. It's almost like an acknowledgement that the whole family is there and ready to start eating, together, like they should.

Pretty much all religious traditions in my family have died, I ate hamburgers on Good Friday this year.
Was interested in the comments about the society becoming less formal, which is completing false. Sure we don't wear suits and top-hats everyone, but in many ways we have become more formal. Things that were completely socially acceptable 150 years ago (such as picking your nose, sticking your fingers in you ears and not eating with a knife and a fork) are now socially unaccepted. People used to piss on the streets ffs.

What about table service in bars?

Did it ever used to be a thing in Aus? Pretty much everywhere I go you have to fetch your own drinks from the bar.

When I was in the US table service was everywhere.

Was awesome in America - barely had to order a drink (as they would offer more drinks when you were almost empty and when you did order they knew what you were drinking). Plus pay at the end of the day (or go back the next day and get you card you forgot to get back the night before and pay the bill along with 10% surcharge haha)

Christmas lights on every third or so house

I remember as a kid we would go out for a drive or walk out the block to take a look at the lights. Now you’ll be lucky to find more than one.

I find it the opposite. When we were kids we used to play a game who could see the most Christmas lights. They were mostly just the Christmas tree in a window and no lights outside.

These days every 5th house has their front lit up with Christmas lights/reindeers/santas etc. It used to be certain roads that had the whole street lit up but now they are everywhere (including me, I have those icicle lights on my guttering)

Do people still say grace?

Only time I've ever said grace was in the presence of people born in the 1920s or earlier.
I went to a friends place for dinner
I knew him since primary school knew he was a happy clapper and got the grace thing.
He was going to skip it but his wife put the foot down

Stadiums and stands having proper names.

You go to the MCG and you sit in the Ponsford Stand, or the Great Southern Stand. You go to the SCG and sit in the Brewongle. Etc.

I know Perth Stadium is new but it lasted 5 minutes before the naming rights were sold and today there's a Justin Langer Stand. By the time footy is back it won't be called that. There are plenty of famous WA sporting icons, having temporary names based on who is playing is tacky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back