Dylan Grimes and diving - Why the AFL needs to act

V_23

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
the bolded is exactly the argument a lot in the media made for grimes and vlastuin not being fined. the fact that it happens many times a game let alone a round, yet only those two got picked out.

eg: if vlastuin was charged, why not hurley
eg: if grimes was charged why not butler

if it was at least adjudicated consistently there wouldnt be nearly the outrage from either side of the discussion.

Fair enough. If it were up to me, they'd all be charged.

Three strikes: warning > fine > suspension

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
lol

i don't think anyone in this thread is surprised that yet again Richmond got off at the MRP.

Good on Richmond for getting the charges dropped, i am envious of the power they seem to have over the MRP. Hopefully this has brought light to the staging issue and neither of these players will do it again.
If we had any power over the MRO you'd reckon we would've told him not to fine Grimes and Vlastuin in the first place anyway. Would save us some trouble.

If we had any power over the MRO you'd reckon we would've told him not to fine Grimes and Vlastuin in the first place anyway. Would save us some trouble.

It’s an interesting conspiracy theory isn’t it? Yeah let’s get the MRO to incorrectly charge our players, copping the media backlash and death threats only to then flex our muscles at the tribunal to get the reports thrown out 🙄

Finknottle

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Is there a bigger group of whingers on here than essendon folk.

every week umpires this umpire that shutup
I'm a Geelong supporter but I was staggered by that decision to reward Grimes for his b-grade acting. C'mon people call it what it is and get the AFL to do something about it.

I'm a Geelong supporter but I was staggered by that decision to reward Grimes for his b-grade acting. C'mon people call it what it is and get the AFL to do something about it.

It got called correctly at the time as a push in the back and the tribunal correctly saw that as well. Well done Wayne Henwood.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
You only had to witness the cheers of approval across the board a couple of weeks ago when Papley was cited to see the expectations of footy fans on this stuff.

Staging, diving, simulation etc is a cultural thing... it’s an absolute blight on soccer and the most widely-mocked thing about what is a great sport.

People’s expectations are strong on this stuff and if the AFL don’t fix it, it’ll just yet another example of them totally missing the mark.

It’s plain to everybody with two eyes that Grimes threw himself forward with significant exaggeration. I don’t even bother arguing with anybody on that, it’s obvious to all including those who try to falsely argue otherwise because of the colour of his jumper. You’re not fooling anybody.

Essendon players have done it, Jetta was actually charged with it and deserved it.

Just fix it and get it out of the game. It can be done if there’s the will to do it.

Niggles

custom title:
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Must be weird to be so invested and biased to your side that you think arguing against something that clearly happened on a footy forum means anything.
Everyone knows they dived. It's just sad
Oh you are a sad little sook aren't you? It's the salty tears and teary screams like youve just let out that feed and sustain us tiges supporters. Monsters inc like. So so nutritious. :heart:

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
You only had to witness the cheers of approval across the board a couple of weeks ago when Papley was cited to see the expectations of footy fans on this stuff.

Staging, diving, simulation etc is a cultural thing... it’s an absolute blight on soccer and the most widely-mocked thing about what is a great sport.

People’s expectations are strong on this stuff and if the AFL don’t fix it, it’ll just yet another example of them totally missing the mark.

It’s plain to everybody with two eyes that Grimes threw himself forward with significant exaggeration. I don’t even bother arguing with anybody on that, it’s obvious to all including those who try to falsely argue otherwise because of the colour of his jumper. You’re not fooling anybody.

Essendon players have done it, Jetta was actually charged with it and deserved it.

Just fix it and get it out of the game. It can be done if there’s the will to do it.
no problem with that, provided its actually adjudicated evenly across all games. as has been mentioned by many, the acts by grimes and vlastuin werent the only ones in the game let alone the entire round. butlers flop was identical to grimes last year against brisbane, if not even softer, and was certainly a bigger flop than grimes on the weekend. yet its barely been mentioned.

be fair about it instead of targeting particular players and there would be much less complaining.

Just going with the the league’s top cop in Wayne Henwood. Justice has been served. It’s delicious.

Just going with the the league’s top cop in Wayne Henwood. Justice has been served. It’s delicious.

giphy-2.gif

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
no problem with that, provided its actually adjudicated evenly across all games. as has been mentioned by many, the acts by grimes and vlastuin werent the only ones in the game let alone the entire round. butlers flop was identical to grimes last year against brisbane, if not even softer, and was certainly a bigger flop than grimes on the weekend. yet its barely been mentioned.

be fair about it instead of targeting particular players and there would be much less complaining.

Target them all. I’d be rubbing out a dozen every week. It’ll stop.

Teams and just start diving and flopping every chance they get against Richmind just to see if Richmond supporters defend and encourage it then.

It’ll be subject to the MRO and tribunal system. Whatever they say goes. Fair enough?

Back