Dylan Grimes and diving - Why the AFL needs to act

Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
This is Grimes' third blatant dive in the past 12 months.

At what point does the AFL do something about this? All three were beneficial to his team. Why would any player not go for a dive when it can directly lead to a goal? It is only going to get worse, especially when diving is only cited if there the media makes a big deal of it.

Qual final against Brisbane:

Last month:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he wasn't even cited for this?

Tonight:

Disclaimer: Incoming hate coming for being an Essendon supporter. If it makes you feel better, I know we were almost certainly going to lose tonight for reasons other than the dive.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The issue goes beyond Grimes.

Early in the 3rd quarter, Riewoldt leans into an Essendon player - but he doesn't dive. He continues to compete. It was a push.

Riewoldt marks. No free.

If the Essendon player staged, or milked it, he'd have received the free.

So where's the incentive NOT to stage? The umpires look for it, and reward it. You're almost negligent as a player if you DON'T stage.

Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon

Early in the 3rd quarter, Riewoldt leans into an Essendon player - but he doesn't dive. He continues to compete. It was a push.

Riewoldt marks. No free.

So where's the incentive NOT to stage? The umpires look for it, and reward it. You're almost negligent as a player if you DON'T stage.
I agree. He was just the easiest example.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
This is Grimes' third blatant dive in the past 12 months.

At what point does the AFL do something about this? All three were beneficial to his team. Why would any player not go for a dive when it can directly lead to a goal? It is only going to get worse, especially when diving is only cited if there the media makes a big deal of it.

Qual final against Brisbane:

Last month:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he wasn't even cited for this?

Tonight:

Disclaimer: Incoming hate coming for being an Essendon supporter. If it makes you feel better, I know we were almost certainly going to lose tonight for reasons other than the dive.

Don't be that guy.

Stringer clearly gave him a push, not much in it, but don't give the ump a chance to ping you.

Focus on a great festival of footy up in the NT, not this miserableness.

Jeez guys stop picking on Richmond tall poppy syndrome much haha you hate them because you aint them Lynch is a top bloke would love a beer with him and Jack to chin wag the dynasty that is 2 in 40 years.
Solid sentence

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
errrrrr don't put your hand in Grimes back when the contest is a nowhere near?

Even though you're allowed to put your hands on a player's back?

You're saying the answer to this cancer on the game is not to address the problem itself - but instead for players and umpires to accept that Grimes is a grimey cheat and just not make contact with him??

That's extraordinary.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Even though you're allowed to put your hands on a player's back?

You're saying the answer to this cancer on the game is not to address the problem itself - but instead for players and umpires to accept that Grimes is a grimey cheat and just not make contact with him??

That's extraordinary.
ease up you know what I'm saying

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Riewoldt marks. No free.

I rest my case.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
They should just enforce the rule they have. Fine first time, suspend second time, longer suspension third time. There are obvious cases every week that don't get cited (including from Geelong players).

If they don't get cited and the umpires pay them (and how can the umpires really tell), players will keep doing it to get a free.

Richmond have to be the Most protected team in the history of AFL.

Can get away with anything

Unbelievable..

tHeY pLaY oN tHe EdGe!

Or some s**t their supporters say.

Back