The_Hyphen

You can't handle the truth...
Aug 16, 2020
Covid Central
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
lufc
The hysteria about 'diving' and soccer is all very well.....but there is a clear difference btwn being freed against, and drawing the umps attention - and an absolute faking of level of contact by rolling around on the ground like that muppet from GWS did.

Umps are smart enough to judge if a free is there as in Grimes AND Papleys case......what we don't want is players exaggerating head high contact and pretending they're shot....because it causes fights and unnecessary reports.

Was Grimes pushed - slightly
Did he stumble - yes
Did he exaggerate this - yes

Is that 'flopping' - No

And tnere you have it...should we be penalising 'exaggerated contact'? Only if your name is Papley and Clarkson doesn't like it.

Was he pushed in the back? Yes.
Did it affect the contest? Yes.

That makes it a valid free kick.

Niggles

custom title:
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Nah it was a very light shove. My mother wouldn't have flopped as bad as Grimes. Anyone without a warped sense of view can see that.
Yeah but your mother is also your father, aunty and uncle. Very unusual setup Gill

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Difficult to fathom this. I’ve yet to see or hear one neutral commentator or fan on here who thought Grimes didn’t dive.
Guess Diving season is open now.

Looked like a very blatant dive at face value. Obviously there was additional footage that the media declined to show or didn't have access to.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
View attachment 945511
So which bit never happened in your opinion? The contact by Stringer? The foot in the turf? The arm trying to spoil the ball? You got some vision that the tribunal didn't?

Evidence sucks when it doesn't fit your narrative. He didn't dive. End of.
Well look, at least Stringer did something on the weekend. Good on him for getting within cooee of the ball.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Just read that man was charged over the Grimes incident. Fancy feeling so incensed and aggressive that you have to threaten an individual playing football because of what he did. You’ve got to wonder about the priorities in ones life. To feel so much anger in the context of a football game. People need to get a life, get perspective and grow up. Let’s hope this idiot hasn’t bred.
Just need to read through any of these types of threads and you'll see there's plenty of them out there.

Because it was confirmed that Henwood was the sole arbiter in the matter. Quite strange.

Oh, you and your facts. You’re talking with an Essendon supporter remember.

Nah it was a very light shove. My mother wouldn't have flopped as bad as Grimes. Anyone without a warped sense of view can see that.

How stupid was Stringer giving that massive shove costing you that momentum. He’s a total bust of a player.

The_Hyphen

You can't handle the truth...
Aug 16, 2020
Covid Central
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
lufc
Was he pushed in the back? Yes.
Did it affect the contest? Yes.

That makes it a valid free kick.
I agree, and thats where it should have stopped. If a player wants to make a flog if himself by waving his arms around....have at it.

What needs to be policed are the 'mock' head high shots that can cause retaliation and reports.

I agree, and thats where it should have stopped. If a player wants to make a flog if himself by waving his arms around....have at it.

What needs to be policed are the 'mock' head high shots that can cause retaliation and reports.

Agreed. Faking it is a completely different think to milking/exaggerating it.

While milking it isn't a good look, and I'd prefer it was less prevalent, it's the fakes that should be stomped on.

For this reason, while neither was 'ideal', I think Hurley's behavior was worse (and more deserving of sanction) than Grimes (and I don't know why Vlastuin is even in this discussion).

So you agree it was a push in the back?

Great...So the free kick was there.

As for being 'a very light shove'...Well, it was enough to influence the contest, and surely that is the best measure of when a free should be given.

Sep 25, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
Grimes doesn't actually think people will respect him again because he got off does he? Just not sure why you would challenge that superman.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Unfashionable club, yes. Obscure player, no. What is Alex Neal-Bullen doing this week?
Getting made an example of because he is a nothing name. If it was Dangerfield or Martin I’d bet it all that neither would get suspended. Absolutely no way either would get rubbed out if the same tackle was applied with the same outcome.

Back