Dylan Grimes and diving - Why the AFL needs to act

Remove this Banner Ad

Grimes doesn't actually think people will respect him again because he got off does he? Just not sure why you would challenge that superman.
He will just do it again. The AFL have ****ed this up. They could have used him as an example and rubbed him out, hence stopping this behaviour. Neal- Bullen gets 4 weeks, he is not a name. Burgoyne basically does the same thing and gets a fine I think. It’s an absolute joke. Borderline incompetent.

I hope Grimes gets a bath tonight.

He will just do it again. The AFL have f’ed this up. They could have used him as an example and rubbed him out, hence stopping this behaviour. Neal- Bullen gets 4 weeks, he is not a name. Burgoyne basically does the same thing and gets a fine I think. It’s an absolute joke. Borderline incompetent.

I hope Grimes gets a bath tonight.

Doesn't really matter.

The players are judged in the public, what happens in the tribunal really does mean much. Regardless if he avoided a fine everyone knows grimes is a serial diver, the same way everyone knows Selwood + Lindsay Thomas are serial duckers.

The memes will roll in regardless,

Like the Thug Gary did?
Lol-toughen up- they staged -they earned the fine- not like they would miss a match-cough up the dollars, move on.

Doesn't really matter.

The players are judged in the public, what happens in the tribunal really does mean much. Regardless if he avoided a fine everyone knows grimes is a serial diver, the same way everyone knows Selwood + Lindsay Thomas are serial duckers.

The memes will roll in regardless,
100,000 Richmond members - the demographic of the public that matters most to Richmond players - see a (minimum) two time premiership player and All-Australian.

Of course there will be peanuts like you who will carry it around like some badge of honour, maybe yell some abuse if they see him somewhere,but he won’t too bothered I’m guessing. If it gets out of hand he’s already proven he is happy to refer it to the police.

I am also pretty certain that for the rest of his career and beyond the media will refer to him as a “premiership star” more than some reference to staging. It might be brought up occasionally, but Grimes will be able to gloss over it and get back to talking premierships.

Contrast that with Hird mind you... now more often referred to as “disgraced”
and associated with injecting a side he was coaching with illegal drugs.

24 posts and convinced no-one of anything. Now take your red and black butthurtand jog on. 9DB7724E-0366-4874-A88E-708EF02F8A1F.jpeg

So players shouldn't challenge penalties they didn't earn for transgressions they didn't commit because they're rich?
What’s it got to do with money? They staged -it was very clear-it’s not a big deal to acknowledge it, pay the fine, and then that’s the end of it. They aren’t the first and won’t be the last, appealing it just makes it a bigger deal that it warrants.
Its not worthy of the abuse they copped online either but that another issue.

100,000 Richmond members - the demographic of the public that matters most to Richmond players - see a (minimum) two time premiership player and All-Australian.

Of course there will be peanuts like you who will carry it around like some badge of honour, maybe yell some abuse if they see him somewhere,but he won’t too bothered I’m guessing. If it gets out of hand he’s already proven he is happy to refer it to the police.

I am also pretty certain that for the rest of his career and beyond the media will refer to him as a “premiership star” more than some reference to staging. It might be brought up occasionally, but Grimes will be able to gloss over it and get back to talking premierships.

Contrast that with Hird mind you... now more often referred to as “disgraced”
and associated with injecting a side he was coaching with illegal drugs.

24 posts and convinced no-one of anything. Now take your red and black butthurtand jog on. View attachment 946429

i dunno - pretty much everyone in this thread apart form tigers fans are pretty convinced he and vlastuin are divers.

you're more than welcome to ask around, you know, or just read the thread.

On topic of Grimes taking a dive last week....

I saw Hooker do it last night as well. Not as much mayo, but a dive none the less. Felt contact and went to ground looking at the umpire. Essendon benefited a goal from it. The first goal in their comeback half in fact.

Damn it's a horrible look for the game. I cringed watching it. Some body on body and one bloke goes to ground and looks at the umpire. Compare it to guys like Tippa who just play hard at the ball the whole time. It ain't footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On topic of Grimes taking a dive last week....

I saw Hooker do it last night as well. Not as much mayo, but a dive none the less. Felt contact and went to ground looking at the umpire. Essendon benefited a goal from it. The first goal in their comeback half in fact.

Damn it's a horrible look for the game. I cringed watching it. Some body on body and one bloke goes to ground and looks at the umpire. Compare it to guys like Tippa who just play hard at the ball the whole time. It ain't footy.

Hooker should have been suspended. Terrible look.

Hooker should have been suspended. Terrible look.

Wasn't a great look. One used a good spread of mayo, the other used what was left in the jar plus opened a new jar for the matter.

But yes, not a great look I agree. If Hooker went, Grimes shouldn't play till 2021. And I'd have no issue with that. Diving is crap

Bulldog Ryan Gardner needs to be looked at after going to ground, and staying there, from a small bump from Hawkins with just over 12 minutes of the final quarter to go tonight. I had to replay it to see if he'd copped one in the nuts, but no.

Getting out of hand.
If you are pushed in the back when launching for mark the onus shouldn't be on you to some how make it look like you weren't pushed. Stringer the slack prock knew Grimes was all over that mark and pretty well gets away with a dog act.
What would have looked different if Grimes hadn't hadnt so called dived? Would he had taken the mark ? Would he have stayed on in his line? The laws of physics don't change.

Diving is when you fall forward in a tackle to make it look like you pushed in the back .. that happens all the time and no one says boo.

Grimes pushed in the back and made to look stupid by a player that didn't even enter in the marking contest. Free kick Grimes .. end of story.

Vlaustin hit high after bravely running back with the ball into no man's land. End of story.

Disgusting episode in the History of AFL commentary and adjudicating.

Last edited:
Bulldog Ryan Gardner needs to be looked at after going to ground, and staying there, from a small bump from Hawkins with just over 12 minutes of the final quarter to go tonight. I had to replay it to see if he'd copped one in the nuts, but no.

So new rule .. if you get winded you are to continue on as if nothing has happened.

How about Dangerfield's big shove in the back just before that .. I mean the big dive from the Bulldogs player.

Last edited:
Pretty sure my view that it’s a lottery is shared by many. They get some right and some wrong. Tribunal got this one wrong.

The umpire was in perfect position.
The tribunal got to see all the evidence. But Tippy got a disallowed goal so boo and the commentators throwin their 2 bobs worth of throw away lines .
As they say if it happens on the wing ?

FESTIVAL OF RED NOW IN EFFECT: READ THE MAINBOARD RULES THREAD

So new rule .. if you get winded you are to continue on as if nothing has happened.

How about Dangerfield's big shove in the back just before that .. I mean the big dive from the Bulldogs player.
It's possible he was winded but I can't see how.

Ok which one of you aceholes is this?

Actually there's another unnamed one at the bottom of the article as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back