Retired Dylan Roberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Another round, another Sainter of the day. Looks like the tight checking presence of Carlisle and Brown combined with an injury-free run (touch wood) means he can finally deliver on all that potential. The intercept drifting is beautiful, the right boot is lethal (except for the odd scrubber), could he be on track for All Australian? He'd have to give it a shake based on present form

Hawthorn vs St Kilda

Put my thoughts into the gameday thread but got to advocate for him here, especially after a performance like that:

Geez Louise, Roberton is in the form of his career. About one out of eight kicks is a scrubber or off target or ineffective but those other seven are lethal. 600 metres gained shows how far he can roost it, he's a go-to man when we want to move the ball forward rather than sideways, plus the two goals were both nailed from around the 50 metre arc. But it's not just the kicking, his defensive pressure was outstanding, the chasing, intercept marking, that beautiful clean spoil on Gunston of all people. If he continues in this vein, I will burn down AFL House if they overlook him for All Australian selection (metaphorically speaking, AFP, metaphorically speaking).

Last edited:
St Kilda vs. Western Sydney

Maybe not as spectacular as some games in recent weeks but still a pretty fair effort, evidenced by mentions from Steven and Billings in post-game interviews. A massive 19 kicks to 1 handball, given the number of hospital handpasses dished out through the night that's a significantly pleasing ratio. 6 marks, 4 tackles and a goal also makes for a pretty fair effort, I never get tired of watching him launch from 50 because I know exactly where it's going. 85% disposal efficiency is further proof how well he uses it, combine that with a 19:1 kick to handball ratio and you know that he's moving the ball efficiently and effectively. Haven't seen his metres gained stat yet but you know it's going to be a big number because that's what he does.

St Kilda vs. Western Sydney

Maybe not as spectacular as some games in recent weeks but still a pretty fair effort, evidenced by mentions from Steven and Billings in post-game interviews. A massive 19 kicks to 1 handball, given the number of hospital handpasses dished out through the night that's a significantly pleasing ratio. 6 marks, 4 tackles and a goal also makes for a pretty fair effort, I never get tired of watching him launch from 50 because I know exactly where it's going. 85% disposal efficiency is further proof how well he uses it, combine that with a 19:1 kick to handball ratio and you know that he's moving the ball efficiently and effectively. Haven't seen his metres gained stat yet but you know it's going to be a big number because that's what he does.

521 metres gained - very nice

Definitely been missing his buddy Webster over the last couple of weeks, struggling with the attention. Needs to back himself and roost it forward more often, seems a waste for him to handpass or short kick backwards

Don't you hate it when life gets in the way of player advocating?

St Kilda vs Gold Coast

First opportunity I've had to see Robbo live this year and from the stands it didn't look like a great game. Had trouble holding marks and while there were glimpses of that beautiful kicking boot he was also responsible for a few howlers (literally, I howled and in the practically empty stadium he might have heard me).

Still, a win's a win and looking at the stats he did pick up 20 disposals with a lovely 4 kicks:1 handpass ratio. He did hold 7 marks but there were a few contests when he had the sit and should have pulled them down. Didn't trouble the scorers today which, with the way were kicking, was a bit of a double-edged sword.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda vs Richmond

Second time I've seen Robbo live this year and funnily enough didn't notice him as much, although that could be because of the whole team's dominance. Didn't realise he had 20 disposals at 100% efficiency, outstanding effort. Highlights include a lovely desperate moment in the third where he lunged and snatched the ball away from an unsuspecting Richmond player and late in the fourth when he caught an unsuspecting Dustin Martin in a tackle, Gilbo arrived to reinforce, Martin tried the 'don't argue' and got pinged holding the ball.

So read today that Robbo and the club are a fair way apart on pay figures, and the Hawks are offering over $100k more a year, anyone else hear this?

So read today that Robbo and the club are a fair way apart on pay figures, and the Hawks are offering over $100k more a year, anyone else hear this?

I hope they sort it out as he's become so important to our team with Webster as well . The two of them provide so much run from our backline we can't afford to lose him .

Where did you read this? No chatter on the Hawks board, quick Google search didn't bring up anything

Robbo earlier in the year

7531329f6f500d0a47cc1722d83c66da.jpg

b628ce97d2147d4ed298fcfcd99ade96.jpg

St Kilda vs Wet Toast

Yesterday was a classy game by Robbo and a vital one. He was lowering the eyes a bit more, 339 metres gained well down on his season average of 492.74, but his defensive work was absolutely superb. No shortage of one-on-ones and plucked 8 marks, 4 contested, the highlight a vital grab in the dying minutes to send the ball flying back out of defensive 50. Three rebound 50's, ranked 2nd in the competition.

Lock him up already Sainters.

My boy's at the club for four more years. Never in doubt (my recent silence is more due to finding one of those 'life' things I'd heard about rather than doubt, honest!)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back