Retired Dylan Roberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Who would've made the decision to for him to play in 2014 when at times he was clearly injured?
Yeah you would think we knew we were going to finish near the arse end of the ladder and probably werent too concerned with it because of the draft pick.
So i find it odd to believe we would be desperate to play him if he wasnt righto_O
You would think the Ball/Kosi mistakes are well behind us??

Who would've made the decision to for him to play in 2014 when at times he was clearly injured?

Was thinking the same thing. Might have been one of those peer group/coaching pressure things where they got into him psychologically "Youre a professional football player and you need to learn to play with injuries" etc etc.

I'm just speculating but these things still happen at footy clubs.

Sam Fisher: 191cm 94kg
Tom Simpkin: 191cm 92kg
Sam Gilbert: 194cm 92kg

Dylan Roberton: 194cm 88kg
Sean Dempster: 191cm 87kg

If Robbo wants to play more of a mobile KPD role - which would be ideal - then he really wants to be more around the 92-94kg mark at his height.

Saint 'like a new player' after massive pre-season

"DYLAN Roberton is emerging as the player to watch at St Kilda in 2015 after stacking on five kilos and dramatically improving his running ability.

The change in the 23-year-old backman's size and fitness after an injury-affected 2014 has prompted coach Alan Richardson to dub him as being "like a new player".

And, fellow defender Jarryn Geary has predicted the former Docker will take on more of a key role next season with his increased versatility.

"Robbo is like a new player in many ways. His running has improved significantly," Richardson told AFL.com.au.

"He had a pretty frustrating year last year. He had an ankle that was giving him a fair bit of grief and he lost a fair degree of movement.

"He needed to be able to cope with the fact he was different because of that injury and needed to adjust.

"He's probably one of the most impressive trainers we've had, and he actually hasn't really joined in with our group yet.

"He's in really good shape and it's quite exciting to think he's almost a new player for us."
So he'd be more like 194cm 93kg then... Great! :D

more: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-03/saint-like-a-new-player

Posted this in the Preseason thread...
Saint 'like a new player' after massive pre-season

"DYLAN Roberton is emerging as the player to watch at St Kilda in 2015 after stacking on five kilos and dramatically improving his running ability.

The change in the 23-year-old backman's size and fitness after an injury-affected 2014 has prompted coach Alan Richardson to dub him as being "like a new player".

And, fellow defender Jarryn Geary has predicted the former Docker will take on more of a key role next season with his increased versatility.

"Robbo is like a new player in many ways. His running has improved significantly," Richardson told AFL.com.au.

"He had a pretty frustrating year last year. He had an ankle that was giving him a fair bit of grief and he lost a fair degree of movement.

"He needed to be able to cope with the fact he was different because of that injury and needed to adjust.

"He's probably one of the most impressive trainers we've had, and he actually hasn't really joined in with our group yet.

"He's in really good shape and it's quite exciting to think he's almost a new player for us."
more: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-03/saint-like-a-new-player

He was a very good and important player in 2013, if he could get that form back it would be a huge bonus

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was going to say a Fisher with the way he switches between attack and defence. Takes the game on more than a Dempster but i think his preferred role would be deeper to be honest. If McKenzie and Webster, Wright come along as hoped they will be the drivers on the flank

You guys expecting him to turn into a proper KPP in the future or is he likely to remain a third tall?
Third tall/rebounder without a doubt. Its more that the size of those 3rd talls have gotten bigger so being 190cms doesnt cut it anymore.

You guys expecting him to turn into a proper KPP in the future or is he likely to remain a third tall?
He also had a whole lot of filling out to do to his frame. He should of been this sort of weight early on in his career!

I watched a replay of a match toward the end of the season and he showed some good signs - cant remember which match though.

He is still a very important part of our backline going forward

I believe he can become a Key defender and not just a 3rd tall defender.
Hes very tall. Some Key defenders dont get good until they are old - look at Michael Johnson.

I believe he can become a Key defender and not just a 3rd tall defender.
Hes very tall. Some Key defenders dont get good until they are old - look at Michael Johnson.

I thought Gilbert developed his Key defender ability a lot better as he got on. Earlier on he was really only rebounding.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back