Retired Dylan Roberton

Remove this Banner Ad

This , from earlier in the year , is why i never had any doubts. Well not big doubts. Except when you flogs stirred me up a bit.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/aec7f2c44e60411d88a275da37382f96

Now that he has signed up I will say I never had any doubts at all .... phew ...lol

News wrap: Roberton signs on CH7 (8/9) http://www.saints.com.au/video/2017-09-07/news-wrap-roberton-signs-on-ch7-89 via @stkildafc

1a803634af2135744af085256989a9c4.jpg

Last edited:

Gees BT, making me look bad

Don't worry mate I have a lot of spare time on my hands so I'm happy to help out . If I could have done it under your name I would have . One of the ops actually asked me to help out because some people were too busy to update , I've enjoyed doing it .

I admit I have got carried away by updating before advocates have had time to Sometimes but that's life , sorry if I annoyed you .

Last edited:
Dylan Roberton has been rewarded for his sensational season, finishing runner-up in the 2017 Trevor Barker Award.

Roberton, who recently re-committed to the Saints for a further four years, was included in the All-Australian squad for the first time this season on the back of remarkable consistency.

Five years after arriving at Linen House Centre from Fremantle, Roberton made a flying start to the season to quickly emerge as one the best rebounding defenders in the game.

The Dandenong Stingrays product featured prominently in the votes in six of the first seven games to lay the foundations for his highest best and fairest finish.

The 26-year-old averaged 23.1 disposals, 6.2 marks, 5.6 rebound 50s and 464.2 metres gained across 22 appearances in 2017.

While he often found himself among the best players, Roberton’s finest performance was perhaps in the Round six demolition of Hawthorn.

With two long-range goals and 29 disposals, he was the standout Saint on a memorable day for the club.

Where he polled his votes:

Round 6 v Hawthorn (15 votes) – 29 disposals, nine contested possessions, six rebound 50s and 599 metres gained

Round 4 v Collingwood (11 votes) - 32 disposals at 90.6 per cent efficiency, 595 metres gained, 12 marks and six rebound 50s

Round 5 v Geelong (nine votes) – 28 disposals, 11 rebound 50s, nine marks, six spoils and 559 metres gained

Round 20 v West Coast (nine votes) – 20 disposals, eight marks, four contested marks

Dylan Roberton was lucky to escape with every part of his anatomy intact after a freak incident yesterday.

A harmless game of indoor cricket after training has turned to pain for Roberton with the defender copping a blow to the groin.

In a somewhat unbelievable accident, Roberton was felled by a tennis ball, requiring a trip to hospital to repair the damage.

General Manager of Football Performance Jamie Cox said he was both very lucky, yet unlucky at the same time.

“To cop such a blow in a harmless game of cricket is very unlucky, but thankfully, he’s okay and will be back on his feet in the next few days.”

“Dylan has returned to pre-season training in fantastic shape, so a short break won’t hold him back for too long.”

Dylan Roberton was lucky to escape with every part of his anatomy intact after a freak incident yesterday.

Lmao , he got hit on the nuts with a tennis ball while batting to a slow bowler lol.

It was a slower ball that got Dylan Roberton.

Shane Savage had thrown down three lightning bolts that moved a bit off the seam and Roberton was expecting more of the same.

Instead, the change of pace surprised the dashing defender, striking him in the crown jewels in a moment that will be written into St Kilda pre-season folklore.

Roberton, 26, had surgery downstairs and missed the last couple of weeks of 2017 before returning to the main group on Wednesday.

“We had about five minutes to kill before a meeting, and as we normally do we muck around to fill in the time,” Roberton told the Inside St Kilda podcast this week.

“We were playing a bit of cricket and the bat we use is a mini one that Jack Lonie brings from home.

“Sav is a pretty handy cricketer and the three balls prior to it he was making the ball do a bit and sending them down real fast.

“I finally got my eye in and he decided to send down a slower ball and I was expecting another fast one and it got me where you don’t want to get hit.”

While many of his teammates only had to care for themselves over the summer break, Roberton and his partner, Amy, have three young children, so the holidays are a bit different to most.

“It’s getting a lot better now because they are able to get up and run around and do that sort of thing. There’s been a lot of playing in the pool this summer, which is good fun,” he said.

“Our eldest is off to school at the end of this month, so we’ve got a couple more weeks left with him and then he is a school kid.”

Can’t wait for 2018 season.

St Kilda leader Dylan Roberton says Jimmy Webster and Shane Savage have elevated their leadership over the summer to help fill the void left by retired great Leigh Montagna.

In a year where he was included in the leadership group for the first time, Roberton also produced a career-best season, finishing second in the Trevor Barker Award as well as earning selection in the All-Australian squad.

But with experienced leaders like Montagna and Sean Dempster departing the back six in the past 12 months, Webster and Savage have taken their leadership to the next level this pre-season.

“Guys like Jimmy and Sav have really stepped up a bit in terms of their leadership,” Roberton told the Inside St Kilda podcast this week.

“Joey used to tell them where to go, but now that he isn’t here anymore, they’ve become loud and aggressive with their voice which is great for our defence.”

Roberton back on track after Savage attack

Roberton said new Senior Assistant Coach Henry Playfair has made an impact in the first few months of his time at Linen House Centre through his ability to educate the defenders.

“He’s a really impressive person. He brings a different dynamic to the coaching group, where the other coaches are more larrikin types,” he said.

“He’s a really good teacher; he’s able to pass on the knowledge easily. I think that’s the best thing about him because every time you have a meeting with him or out on the track you’re really learning from him.”

Just over two months remain between now and St Kilda's opening game of 2018 against Brisbane at Etihad Stadium.

Can’t wait for 2018 season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda defender Dylan Roberton is hopeful of missing just one week as he continues to undergo testing for an irregular heartbeat that prompted his on-field collapse against Geelong.

Roberton sparked concern among his teammates and the wider football community when he fell to the ground in the second term of the loss to the Cats. The father of three later reported dizziness and having a blackout.

The 26-year-old was sent to Epworth Hospital while the game was still in progress and was released on Monday. He hopes to miss only the clash with Greater Western Sydney this Saturday at Etihad Stadium.

"This week I'm ruled out, just as a precaution. I'll do all the testing and then hopefully, back on the track next week," Roberton told reporters outside Epworth Hospital on Monday.

Despite the worrying scenes, Roberton wasn't overly concerned.

"It was a bit of a scare, probably more so for family and friends. I was fine straight away," Roberton said.

He will undergo more tests in Melbourne this week, including an MRI, and has seen the incident only a couple of times as his phone has run out of battery. He didn't bring his charger, not expecting to stay in Geelong for so long.

Roberton's recollection of the incident is hazy.

"I just remember watching the ball go up and getting dizzy but that's about it," Roberton said.

Football manager Simon Lethlean predicted the backman's lay-off could be slightly longer when speaking to reporters at Moorabbin on Monday.

"In the short-term, he'll have a number of different tests and each of those results will dictate where he goes thereafter," Lethlean said.

"There'll be no exercising in the meantime, so at least a one or two-week lay-off and we'll see how it is."

Like most clubs, Saints players take wellness surveys twice a week and Roberton had not given medical staff any reason for concern.

"There's been no signs that this was coming. Hopefully it's a one-off event and we don't see it again, but nothing would have led us into thinking this might be occurring," Lethlean said.

Coach Alan Richardson visited Roberton on Sunday night after the clash against the Cats. The backman was feeling well and in the immediate aftermath of the incident, he was not overly concerned.

"He's a pretty relaxed character, Dylan, so I think he headed off the ground and told a few that he was feeling a bit dazed and bleary-eyed. You don't get much more from Dylan about that sort of stuff," Lethlean said.

"He's a pretty casual, professional guy and I think he'll deal with it accordingly."

Richardson said on Sunday that Roberton's teammates were "anxious" to learn of his wellbeing at half-time after he left the ground in the second term.

"From all reports he's alert, he's eating, certainly for the family members that are home, from all reports at the moment he's doing well," Richardson said post-game.

"One of the line coaches in particular, (backline coach) Henry Playfair, let me know the backs are really anxious and just want to know about one of their mates (at half-time). It was pretty important we got that information to them."

Concerned Saints players rushed to Roberton after he fell before the 26-year-old regained his feet after being assisted by two trainers.

He was able to walk unaided to the interchange bench where he was checked and then taken to the rooms and later hospital.

"It was obviously a bit of a shock, shocked a few of his mates," Richardson said.

"I've never really seen anything like that, my thoughts immediately go towards the player.

"You're trying to get feedback reasonably quickly and there's not a lot of answers come back your way particularly when he goes off to hospital.

"It was really comforting once we were able to get some feedback that he's OK now."

Geelong coach Chris Scott shared Richardson's concerns for Roberton, a player he had previously coached in his time as an assistant coach with Fremantle.

"It wasn't good. We actually saw it live. It's not often you're talking to your bench about getting our doctor out there to an opposition player," Scott said.

"It looked terrible and, knowing Dylan personally having coached him at Fremantle, adds another dimension to it.

"It was very concerning and I think you could see the players reacted too.

"They thought there was going to be a big hold-up in play and I was surprised he came off so quickly because it looked ugly.

"The St Kilda guys had it covered and it was more that someone got out to him really quickly if time was the essence and it appeared to us that it was."

Go Saints

St Kilda defender Dylan Roberton has begun a three-month monitoring period to examine the cause of an irregular heartbeat that surfaced in Round 4.

Last week, Roberton had a device implanted to monitor his heart rate over the next three months.

"I've had a little device implanted in my chest which just feeds in what my heart's doing to the doctors and their computers, so they'll be able to pick up what's happening," Roberton said at a press conference on Thursday morning.

"We're still not sure as to why it happened so I'll still be out for the meantime."

While doctors believe there is only a minor chance of the issue reoccurring, all precautions need to be taken before he returns to full training.

"I probably won't get back again this year, but I'm hoping at the end of these three months to get back to exercise and hopefully finish off the year back training with the boys."

See all the latest injury updates

Roberton will be assessed regularly over the upcoming period before having further tests to determine if things have returned to normal.

"Obviously the heart's a pretty important organ to the body," Roberton said tongue-in-cheek.

"Understandably, they've taken all the precautions, so I just have to miss a bit of footy.

"We're hoping everything goes well, and with all this testing over the next three months, I'll get the all clear."

Roberton and his partner Amy have three young children, who the 26-year-old said have been at the forefront of his mind since the incident.

"It definitely does (put things into perspective)," Roberton said.

"Footy means a lot to me but obviously being healthy and being there for my kids is the most important thing."

While he awaits the outcome of the testing, Roberton is permitted to complete light exercise and is expected to take on an off-field role to support his teammates on game-day and during the week.

"We’ve presented him with a whistle. He's a coach from this day forward, for a little while anyway," senior coach Alan Richardson confirmed.

Roberton has already studied a Level Two AFL Coaching Course, and Richardson expects the defender to revel in his interim position.

"He's got a great footy brain, Robbo," Richardson said.

"He's got really good relationships with the boys and we've got some young defenders coming through, so that's going to be his lot for a while."

Get your Halo On for 2018

The 2017 All-Australian nominee will be sorely missed in the Saints' backline though, and Richardson is eager for the classy backman to return to full health.

"We're really hopeful and optimistic that at the back of these three months he gets the all clear, and we take the whistle back and he puts his footy boots back on."

Roberton will watch on as the Saints face the Demons this Sunday afternoon in a must-win fixture for the home side.

Go Saints

Having a heart issue is a very tough situation for Dylan . I assume the doctors have said he won’t be at risk if he plays on in the future . We have our fingers crossed for Dylan as he has become one of the leaders at our club.

Go Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back