Retired Dylan Roberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, he did have to take KPDs but he was definitely more suited to taking a third tall and using his pace and agility to give us some run in the back line. Similarly, Robbo matched up well against Darling a couple of years ago when we didn't have much choice, but his strengths still lie in his running ability, imo.
Matched up well? I was at the game in a pocket Darling was leading to and he got the raw end of a lot of umpiring decisions. Roberton played gallantly but wouldnt say he matched up well on him. Jack was always threatening.

Not sure we want him to bulk up too much. His strength was his line-breaking skills, rather than playing tight on his man defensively. I see him more as a Gilbert type than a Fisher. Not sure he has the one-on-one skills to be a true key position player, but I could be wrong.
This. Will be interesting to see how this works out. Could be another Gwilt situation though, where he bulks up to play key position, but ends up not really being good enough in that role and it becomes seemingly forgotten that he was really good in other roles before really bulking up.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-27/whos-ripping-it-up

Who's ripping it up? Which players are 'training the house down'

Jack Newnes has been a dominant performer on the track for the Saints this summer. :)

Defender Dylan Roberton is another who is impressing, with the former Fremantle backman adding size to his frame in a bid to fill more of a key position role next season after an ankle injury last pre-season affected the way his year panned out.

thats impressive re dylan, as he had problems with his ankle, and some of us thought he was gawn.

This. Will be interesting to see how this works out. Could be another Gwilt situation though, where he bulks up to play key position, but ends up not really being good enough in that role and it becomes seemingly forgotten that he was really good in other roles before really bulking up.

Good for him. Is he adding another string to his bow or is KPB better with the ankle? Anyone seen him one on one?

One thing about Bob: come hell or high water, he will give every last shred of himself to stay on the list. He will do whatever the coaches ask, give everything he's got, leave no stone unturned. This is his dream: to play footy close to home with his family. He really appreciates the gift that the Saints gave him in taking him in after the mess that was his time at Freo.

In a lot of ways, I see him as the new Blake on the list: not so much in terms of versatility or playing style. Just in terms of work ethic, dedication, etc.

there was talk that his ankle injury was so bad, he would never get back to his 2013 form. anyone know whether this was true?

Better kicking Gilbooooo?
Would be nearly top 5 at our club going forward if that's the case! Gilbert very stiff two years running to miss AA IMO. Is there a genuine belief he can be very good or just a bit of summer brewskie action?

Would be nearly top 5 at our club going forward if that's the case! Gilbert very stiff two years running to miss AA IMO. Is there a genuine belief he can be very good or just a bit of summer brewskie action?

Check out my review of his 2013 season on the first page. Dyl was very good. Can we call it second year blues for his second team? Combined with what was reportedly a pretty bad ankle injury, his 2014 season wasn't one to remember.

I think 2015 is an important year for Roberton, but I reckon he's got the talent to play off our half back line in the future. We are adding more competition for that spot every year though. He'll need to grab his opportunities when they come his way next year.

Can't it be both.....? ;)

I think he can play a similar role to the one Gilbert played under Richo this year where he maybe takes the more athletic forward or third tall and hurts them the other way when he can, but with better kicking. Might not push for AA in that role like Gilbert did in 09/10 but it will be extremely valuable to the team.

Gilbo's always copped a bit of shite about some wayward kicking and an inability to delete photos :oops:
But when he's on song he is an awesome linebraker with his run & carry with a long kick. Players like him are great for clearing the defensive zone.
But i gotta admit ive got fears about that foot not coming good again:(
If Robbo finds form again it will be a massive bonus for us going forward.

I think it's pretty important that Roberton adds that string to his bow. Out of contract next year and ankle or no ankle he was pushed out of the backline by Webster and Wright. Now there's Savage back there, Geary coming back and McKenzie coming through, he needs to add something different.

Check out my review of his 2013 season on the first page. Dyl was very good. Can we call it second year blues for his second team? Combined with what was reportedly a pretty bad ankle injury, his 2014 season wasn't one to remember.
I think it would have been mainly due to his ankle, which was meant to be a very serious injury. He apparently had to pretty much learn to walk and/or run again, after having had the ankle fused (whatever that means). Apparently Brock McLean had a similar injury/operation years ago and I dare say that was the thing that derailed his career to a fair extent and it's been said that he said it took him two years to get over the operation/injury and get close to or full mobility back, so I don't think we ought to underestimate how much it would have affected Dylan this year.

And Dylan was indeed very good in 2013. stkildathunda kept on telling us late in that season that he had an issue with his ankle (if only the club had done what he suggested and stopped playing him :() and his form did drop off late in the 2013 season (probably due to the injury), yet in spite of that he still came top 10 in our B&F, from memory, so that shows us just how well he was going prior to his ankle evidently becoming an issue and his form dropping off a bit.

If we were to have Robbo back in 2013 form, Gilbo, Fisher and Geary fit and firing, Dempster continuing to do his thing, Delaney continuing on as he did for most of this past year, Savage continuing to be as damaging as he was when playing back for us and the likes of Webster and Wright improving and getting fitter/stronger, you'd think it would make a massive difference to our team and competitiveness.

That could still be a genuinely good quality backline and one that of course has plenty of depth and competition for spots (the 9 I've named there are all legit first choice options and then you've got the likes of Newnes, Shenton, Bruce, Acres, Ray, Murdoch, Siposs, Mckenzie, Goddard and Simpkin as other potentially strong options there over the next couple of years).

Last edited:
I think it would have been due to his ankle, which was meant to be a very serious injury. .
Yeah ankles or foot injuries can be so hard to manage and get right cant they. They cop an absolute flogging each week being the only two parts of the body with continuous contact to the ground.
( unless of course your a bit clumsy like Kosi and you head is probably making the most contact:p)
lets hope we can get Robbos ankle ok. We drafted him cos we think he has a lot of promise and hes in a great age bracket for us.
it would be a shame for him and us if the injury derails his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan is in my top 5 'most interesting saints to watch' for 2015.

Clearly at the cross-roads of his career. Terrific 13 but terrible 14. Also has a huge opportunity to be a long-term 200 game player. Gwilt gone. Fisher and Dempster at the very end and I am almost ready to write Gilbo off. So really could go either way with Dylan. I know his ankle was a hindrance so very interested to see how he goes this year. Hes tall and skilful and can run.

My 'most interesting' Saints for 2015.

1. Spencer White
2. Jack Steven
3. Dylan Roberton
4. Tim Membrey
5. Blake Acres
6. Thomas Lee

I think it's pretty important that Roberton adds that string to his bow. Out of contract next year and ankle or no ankle he was pushed out of the backline by Webster and Wright. Now there's Savage back there, Geary coming back and McKenzie coming through, he needs to add something different.
Yep fair call. He cant make a career as just a running flanker. Needs to be able to also play on talls and hold down a key defensive post - espeically with Dempster and Fisher at the end. As you mention Savage, Webster, Wright all options running it out of defence. We have plenty there.

I chatted to him at an open training, and asked him about the ankle, questioning him on why he only kicked left foot through the entire training session. He replied that he'd manage the foot through the week (ie no kicking on it) until game day...must've been pretty bad

I chatted to him at an open training, and asked him about the ankle, questioning him on why he only kicked left foot through the entire training session. He replied that he'd manage the foot through the week (ie no kicking on it) until game day...must've been pretty bad

was during the 2014 season that you asked him? i wish you could've asked him why he didn't just rest it until it was completely better.

was during the 2014 season that you asked him? i wish you could've asked him why he didn't just rest it until it was completely better.
Yeah, was at the open training at Moorabbin before the Carlton? Game in august

I think it would have been mainly due to his ankle, which was meant to be a very serious injury. He apparently had to pretty much learn to walk and/or run again, after having had the ankle fused (whatever that means). Apparently Brock McLean had a similar injury/operation years ago and I dare say that was the thing that derailed his career to a fair extent and it's been said that he said it took him two years to get over the operation/injury and get close to or full mobility back, so I don't think we ought to underestimate how much it would have affected Dylan this year.

And Dylan was indeed very good in 2013. stkildathunda kept on telling us late in that season that he had an issue with his ankle (if only the club had done what he suggested and stopped playing him :() and his form did drop off late in the 2013 season (probably due to the injury), yet in spite of that he still came top 10 in our B&F, from memory, so that shows us just how well he was going prior to his ankle evidently becoming an issue and his form dropping off a bit.

If we were to have Robbo back in 2013 form, Gilbo, Fisher and Geary fit and firing, Dempster continuing to do his thing, Delaney continuing on as he did for most of this past year, Savage continuing to be as damaging as he was when playing back for us and the likes of Webster and Wright improving and getting fitter/stronger, you'd think it would make a massive difference to our team and competitiveness.

That could still be a genuinely good quality backline and one that of course has plenty of depth and competition for spots (the 9 I've named there are all legit first choice options and then you've got the likes of Newnes, Shenton, Bruce, Acres, Ray, Murdoch, Siposs, Mckenzie, Goddard and Simpkin as other potentially strong options there over the next couple of years).
If I remember rightly, you could see that Robbo was visibly favouring that ankle for the last few games of the year in 2013, & I'm pretty sure he completely ****ed it again in the final round of the year (the great Kosi/Blake/Milne farewell game) against Freo, when he rolled the ankle & struggled to get off the ground unaided. He hasn't been right since that & also copping that bump to the head late in 2013 too. He seemed very Kosi-like at times last year IMO, ie: unsure of positioning, spacial awareness & peripheral vision was seriously lacking. The combined effects of that heavy bump to the head plus a chronic ankle injury is enough to knock anyone around for a while. I hope he comes back better than ever, and stays 100% fit so he can get back to that early-to-mid 2013 form

Last edited:
Can't it be both.....? ;)

I think he can play a similar role to the one Gilbert played under Richo this year where he maybe takes the more athletic forward or third tall and hurts them the other way when he can, but with better kicking. Might not push for AA in that role like Gilbert did in 09/10 but it will be extremely valuable to the team.

Yeah, let's hope so. I did find it odd he continued to play.

Dylan is in my top 5 'most interesting saints to watch' for 2015.

Clearly at the cross-roads of his career. Terrific 13 but terrible 14. Also has a huge opportunity to be a long-term 200 game player. Gwilt gone. Fisher and Dempster at the very end and I am almost ready to write Gilbo off. So really could go either way with Dylan. I know his ankle was a hindrance so very interested to see how he goes this year. Hes tall and skilful and can run.

My 'most interesting' Saints for 2015.

1. Spencer White
2. Jack Steven
3. Dylan Roberton
4. Tim Membrey
5. Blake Acres
6. Thomas Lee

Great concept. I was thinking about this the other night. Not the 'best' list, but a most intriguing list. Like your 1,4,5,6. I'm also interested in Hickey, Ross, Markworth, and very interested in D Mac, despite his first year. And can't really ignore Webster and Wright. So nearly half the list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back