Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

• Carlton

Votes: 182 39.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 146 31.9%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 71 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So much defending of this trade by Essendon fans.

Throwing in Caldwell, Bryan, mosquito…anything to make it look better.

The question to all the Essendon fans, after 3 years - are you happy with this trade? Bearing in mind you gave up 2 x first rounders and are paying him a heap of money.

yes, he was great first couple of seasons and is a consumate professional who sets off-field standards. There were five players in that EF coming off limited preparation - Dunkley, Treloar, McGrath, Caldwell and Shiel. They were all terrible.

Shiel will be an important cog in what is shaping to be a really good midfield.

plus the melts from Carlton fans when we got him we’re almost as delicious as the melts from Carlton fans when Dodoro bent you over for Saad

yes, he was great first couple of seasons and is a consumate professional who sets off-field standards. There were five players in that EF coming off limited preparation - Dunkley, Treloar, McGrath, Caldwell and Shiel. They were all terrible.

plus the melts from Carlton fans when we got him we’re almost as delicious as the melts from Carlton fans when Dodoro bent you over for Saad
An important cog or a spare slightly less shiny cog in the back of the storeroom if you have run of cogs?

An important cog or a spare slightly less shiny cog in the back of the storeroom if you have run of cogs?

It doesn’t really matter, what matters is that we have a good midfield for the first time since Misiti retired.

Shiel is arguably 4th best behind Parish, Merrett and McGrath and may be overtaken by Caldwell, Langford, Cox or Perkins in the future. Stringer pinch hits at the centre bounce.

It’s an enviable position to be in really and I can see why supporters of clubs like Carlton and Hawthorn who have limited prospects in the short term would be jealous

So much defending of this trade by Essendon fans.

Throwing in Caldwell, Bryan, mosquito…anything to make it look better.

The question to all the Essendon fans, after 3 years - are you happy with this trade? Bearing in mind you gave up 2 x first rounders and are paying him a heap of money.
I'm fine with it, the question is, why are you so uppity about it?

Do you want to talk about the melts Essendon fans had when Saad said he wanted to go to Carlton? Now they were delicious!!

I'm fine with it, the question is, why are you so uppity about it?
Not uppity. He’s halfway through his lucrative 6 year contract. Good time to review the trade. Particularly since you’ve got 3 more years being paid the huge money.

Not uppity. He’s halfway through his lucrative 6 year contract. Good time to review the trade. Particularly since you’ve got 3 more years being paid the huge money.
Was injured most of the season, if he has a full season next year and goes backwards then it will not be great.

Much like Cripps I guess

(unless all you want to talk about is draft picks, rather than actual output)

Was injured most of the season, if he has a full season next year and goes backwards then it will not be great.

Much like Cripps I guess

(unless all you want to talk about is draft picks, rather than actual output)
Oh Dan. You just don’t get it do you.

This is a Dylan Shiel trade thread. Of course I’m going to discuss the trade and his lack of output.

It’s very primary schoolish of you bringing up Carlton players like Cripps and Saad when we are talking about Shiel. A pathetic attempt to deflect and take me off topic. Happy to discuss them in their own threads - see you over there.

Now, getting you back on topic. YOU have said you think It was a good trade even though he was traded in on massive money and YOU stated “Shiel is arguably 4th best behind Parish, Merrett and McGrath and may be overtaken by Caldwell, Langford, Cox or Perkins in the future”.

Wowsers - you are easily pleased.

This is a very simple thing.

Was Shiel worth two first round picks? No.
Has Shiel been a net positive contributor to Essendon? Yes.

We essentially traded the pick for Jye Caldwell and the pick for Miles Bergman for Dylan Shiel and Nick Bryan (plus points for our acadamy players at last years draft, but that's more for the sake of accuracy than anything else). We then brought Caldwell in (who was our likely target if we'd kept the pick) for the pick we received for Fantasia and this years second round pick, which is currently at Geelong I think. It's not a great trade but it's hardly the disaster jealous Hawthorne and Carlton fans want to think it is.

Back