Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

• Carlton

Votes: 182 39.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 146 31.9%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 71 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it could improve (our key position depth is what really worries me), and will somewhat depend on the improvement of guys like Worpel and Morrison. I would not have the Essendon midfield depth players head and shoulders above the Hawks as it stands.
Agreed its not a big a gap as being made out. But it is probably more slightly proven.

I'd take Mitchell and Jaeger over any Essendon midfielder that is for certain.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think it could improve (our key position depth is what really worries me) and will somewhat depend on the improvement of guys like Worpel and Morrison. I would not have the Essendon midfield depth players head and shoulders above the Hawks as it stands.

I would have the top end talent of Hawthorn's midfield ahead of Essendon. And when I say top end, there are two players that I'd suggest are indisputably ahead - Mitchell and Burgoyne.

The rest is dependent on injury issues etc. As I said earlier, IF Scully, O'Meara went completely injury free and performed, I can see the talent.

However after that I'd say you are a long way behind, and I think it's near indisputable that the Hawks depth is a problem - they simply don't have it unless players as yet unknown to the AFL turn in to superstars.

I'd also suggest that comments such as this:

I'd take Mitchell and Jaeger over any Essendon midfielder that is for certain.

Are absolutely laughable. No one would take Jaegar over Heppell, Smith, Merrett or Shiel. If he gets through another year without significant injury issues I'd be happy to reassess - but right now it is an absurd claim.

I would have the top end talent of Hawthorn's midfield ahead of Essendon. And when I say top end, there are two players that I'd suggest are indisputably ahead - Mitchell and Burgoyne.

The rest is dependent on injury issues etc. As I said earlier, IF Scully, O'Meara went completely injury free and performed, I can see the talent.

However after that I'd say you are a long way behind, and I think it's near indisputable that the Hawks depth is a problem - they simply don't have it unless players as yet unknown to the AFL turn in to superstars.

I'd also suggest that comments such as this:

Are absolutely laughable. No one would take Jaegar over Heppell, Smith, Merrett or Shiel. If he gets through another year without significant injury issues I'd be happy to reassess - but right now it is an absurd claim.
Agreed he's gotta get through another season and build off his 2nd half of the year. And I understand not everyone would agree with it, but I'm sticking with it.

Wouldnt trade Jaeger for any of those 4.

Agreed he's gotta get through another season and build off his 2nd half of the year. And I understand not everyone would agree with it, but I'm sticking with it.

Wouldnt trade Jaeger for any of those 4.

That's because you can't see past the jumper.

Be thankful you're a fan, and not a footy department person.

Below are a list of Essendon players who polled more Brownlow votes than O'Meara in 2018:

Below are a list of Essendon players who polled more Brownlow votes than O'Meara in 2018:

Shiel, Heppell, Merrett have all been AA and Smith made the 40 man squad this year, so Essendon fans saying O'Meara is behind these 4 guys isn't unreasonable until he proves otherwise..

Shiel, Heppell, Merrett have all been AA and Smith made the 40 man squad this year, so Essendon fans saying O'Meara is behind these 4 guys isn't unreasonable until he proves otherwise..

I agree with that, he's only had one full season of playing since his injury woes.

Though IMO O'Meara has the most potential out of all of the midfielders on both lists.

I agree with that, he's only had one full season of playing since his injury woes.

Though IMO O'Meara has the most potential out of all of the midfielders on both lists.
You need to understand that O’Meara has to play within the limitations of his knee issues, which will severely curtail any more upside.
It’s not unreasonable to suggest that what Hawthorn got out of O’Meara in 2018 could quite possibly be the best they’ll get out of him.

Mitchell, O'meara, Shiels, Wingard, Burgoyne, Smith, Scully, Worpel, Howe
Too many of these ****** in that list.
There’s a * on ToM- can the Hawks get 97% time on ground out of Mitchell again in 2019
There’s a * on JoM-will both knees hold out
There’s a * on Wingard- is he interested enough in footy after leaving PA a shattered man
There’s a * on Burgoyne- will Father Time finally catch up with him
There’s a * on Scully- no explanation required
There’s a * on Worpedo- only played 11 games, carries a lot of expectation and could get the dreaded second year blues.

The Hawthorn midfield is undeniably susceptible to frailty.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Hawthorn midfield is undeniably susceptible to frailty.

It is a high risk, high reward midfield.

Personally I don't think anyone is shaking in their boots at the thought of playing Hawthorn - very meh side.

No, it is because he is the most talented of the bunch.

Yawn.

He's an injury prone player who is no more talented than many in the AFL, and is in fact LESS talented than many.

But sure, beat your Hawks meat hard and fast mate - no one is buying it, and no one is even remotely concerned by broken down JOM. The bloke is terrified of kicking the ball (first instinct is almost always to handball), and is a threat to no one.

But go for your life, in your little fantasy land. Wouldn't trade for any of the 4, * me BigFooty has some special types.

Below is a list of best 22 Essendon players that average less games per season than O'Meara:

Yawn.

He's an injury prone player who is no more talented than many in the AFL, and is in fact LESS talented than many.

But sure, beat your Hawks meat hard and fast mate - no one is buying it, and no one is even remotely concerned by broken down JOM. The bloke is terrified of kicking the ball (first instinct is almost always to handball), and is a threat to no one.

But go for your life, in your little fantasy land. Wouldn't trade for any of the 4, **** me BigFooty has some special types.

What are you on about?

He averaged 24 touches this season, with 13 of them being kicks. You do the math.

In 2017 he averaged double the amount of handballs to kicks, but that was seemingly due to him being off the pace. He was still finding his feet and was a step behind the pace of the game, bar the final game of the season really.

This season Merrett averaged more handballs than kicks. Does that mean he's scared of kicking?

What are you on about?

He averaged 24 touches this season, with 13 of them being kicks. You do the math.

In 2017 he averaged double the amount of handballs to kicks, but that was seemingly due to him being off the pace. He was still finding his feet and was a step behind the pace of the game, bar the final game of the season really.

This season Merrett averaged more handballs than kicks. Does that mean he's scared of kicking?

Why in the world did you think numbers were important?

I didn't make mention of any stats relating to kicking and/or handballing.

Why in the world did you think numbers were important?

I didn't make mention of any stats relating to kicking and/or handballing.

Of course you didn't, because it would have made a mockery of your point.

One would assume that a player petrified of kicking wouldn't in fact average more kicks than handballs per game.

One would also assume that the person making such a ludicrous claim hadn't actually watched him play at all this season. So I figured the numbers would help you realise that you're clearly wrong.

You were actually right about one thing though, there really are some 'special' types that post on here.

One would assume that a player petrified of kicking wouldn't in fact average more kicks than handballs per game.

One would also assume that the person making such a ludicrous claim hadn't actually watched him play at all this season. So I figured the numbers would help you realise that you're clearly wrong.

You were actually right about one thing though, there really are some 'special' types that post on here.
You need to stop watching the stats on the scoreboard and watch how JoM plys his game. Anyone can identify his first instinct is now to handball.
It is clearly evident for all to see, except if your a.....Hawthorn supporter?

Actually no, that's your assumption.

I on the other hand, would classify a player that is terrified to kick as one that has next to no penetration on his kicks, does not follow through on the ball and instinctively looks to handball first.

Actually I watch the Hawks about as much as I watch any non-Essendon side, that is, fairly regularly without watching every game. And O'Meara is a s**t kick of the ball due to his own lack of faith in his body.

There sure are.

Actually no, that's your assumption.

I on the other hand, would classify a player that is terrified to kick as one that has next to no penetration on his kicks, does not follow through on the ball and instinctively looks to handball first.
Brace yourself for the predictable vid of Jaegar kicking that long bouncing call from well outside the 50 to prove he doesn’t lack penetration according to Hawthorn types.
You could put money on it that Abasi is going to ram it down this thread.

Brace yourself for the predictable vid of Jaegar kicking that long bouncing call from well outside the 50 to prove he doesn’t lack penetration according to Hawthorn types.
You could put money on it that Abasi is going to ram it down this thread.
Yeah imagine stats proving he isn't afraid to kick, video proof that he doesn't penetration but sure you guys are totally right and he is no good. :rolleyes:

His second half of the season was a massive step up and he was an absolute gun in that time, he is still improving as time goes on which you would expect in a relatively young player who has missed a lot of football. His best this year was very good and we have not seen anywhere near the best of him yet.

You need to stop watching the stats on the scoreboard and watch how JoM plys his game. Anyone can identify his first instinct is now to handball.
It is clearly evident for all to see, except if your a.....Hawthorn supporter?

For better or worse I watched every game he played this season, hence my opinion on the matter. But of course you know better.

Back