Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

• Carlton

Votes: 182 39.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 146 31.9%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 71 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Who says we can't match your financial offer?
Given the relative quality of our lists, it seems quite unlikely you could match our offer without damaging long-term player retention.

We just aren't that silly, you & Saints will have to cough up more than us for him to pick you guys.
Whether the price we may pay is silly or not is a different discussion.

Given the relative quality of our lists, it seems quite unlikely you could match our offer without damaging long-term player retention.

Whether the price we may pay is silly or not is a different discussion.
You do realize we have a war chest of over 2mil ready to spend. You have a lot of young up & comers who will be commanding more $$$

A huge factor in the Dylan shiel trade saga that is overlooked is next year he will walk for a first round compensation. GWS should climb back up the ladder next year which means they should get a pick 14/15. I can’t see a situation where a club pays two mid first round picks knowing this.

Bit hard when he has a girlfriend that loves Sydney life, and yet to have his end of season review, which in his case still hasn't decided if he wants to leave. Plus I think the Blues will have their hands tied trying to get McGovern. Good luck to them, if they think they can out do a Graeme Wright & Clarko Pitch, especially 1990 when VFL became the AFL & since then we've won 5 Premierships... with Clarko Coach of 4. So who has credits in the bag...

If your partner is getting a 7 figure pay cheque I don’t think location is going to be much of an issue do you?

McGovern or Shiel? With a list profile of Carlton’s, who would you put to the back burner?

Hawks just dont have the currency and hawks supporters are laughable with their trade scenarios
No idea of where he is going to but i kinda take offense to Carlton supporters talking about laughable trade scenarios. Have you never seen the stuff posted on your board?
You guys are on some seriously good s**t over there, share the wealth.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would Carlton give up?

I see a couple of scenarious myself:

1. Package Setterfield and Shiel together for the 2019 first round, and a 2018 pick at or near 12. Carlton to get that pick ~12 by trading their two second round picks they currently have (via Bulldogs and Adelaide trades last year).
2. Shiel alone for the 2019 first round pick.
3. Shiel for the 2019 first round pick, and Setterfield for one of those second round picks mentioned above.

Other pieces of the puzzle might include Liam Jones (there is a whisper that GWS are into him) and possible salary cap dumps (not informed enough to nominate one of those).

However, if you ask the GWS forum they demand 2 first round picks for Shiel alone, based on the Treloar trade. In a different breath they are content to take Essendon's pick 8.

They also want a top 10 pick for Setterfield.

I see a couple of scenarious myself:

1. Package Setterfield and Shiel together for the 2019 first round, and a 2018 pick at or near 12. Carlton to get that pick ~12 by trading their two second round picks they currently have (via Bulldogs and Adelaide trades last year).
2. Shiel alone for the 2019 first round pick.
3. Shiel for the 2019 first round pick, and Setterfield for one of those second round picks mentioned above.

Other pieces of the puzzle might include Liam Jones (there is a whisper that GWS are into him) and possible salary cap dumps (not informed enough to nominate one of those).

However, if you ask the GWS forum they demand 2 first round picks for Shiel alone, based on the Treloar trade. In a different breath they are content to take Essendon's pick 8.

They also want a top 10 pick for Setterfield.

Pick 1 for Shiel & Setterfield?

From Carlton’s perspective it’s Shiel & Setterfield vs Walsh. Easy choice for them to make. But would GWS do it?

Fine.

You want him?

3 1st rounders.

Contracted star.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I'd love him at Hawthorn , but how valuable a player would he cost.Who do you give and what else as well, to get him.

I would think the Giants would be desperate to keep him.

But when a player wants to leave it is not a good thing to force a stay, things always go haywire.

I took bias out and looked at the facts. Stats has them on par in 2018. If Shiel is worth 14 would you take something similar for Dyson?
Heppell finished #10 in the league in the coaches award votes despite injury impacting some of his late season games. Where did Shiel finish?

I'd love him at Hawthorn , but how valuable a player would he cost.Who do you give and what else as well, to get him.

I would think the Giants would be desperate to keep him.

But when a player wants to leave it is not a good thing to force a stay, things always go haywire.
Theres been a few months and many conversations since then

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Pick 1 for Shiel & Setterfield?

From Carlton’s perspective it’s Shiel & Setterfield vs Walsh. Easy choice for them to make. But would GWS do it?

I'm not sure Carlton would do that trade. I suspect Carlton is far more interested in offering the 2019 first round pick than pick 1 this year.
But if Shiel & Setterfield both requested trades to Carlton - I know what I would be demanding if I were GWS.

If Carlton were to give up pick 1, I think it will try and move back into the top 10. GWS has pick 13. Maybe that pick gets involved in the trade if pick 1 was involved. If Carlton takes pick 13, it can use those extra two second round picks to trade up the order.

Carlton currently has at least 5 list spots. Assume that Setterfield, Shiel, McGovern all come to us. Scrimshaw is also on the cards. Carlton might not go deep into this draft.

I'm not sure Carlton would do that trade. I suspect Carlton is far more interested in offering the 2019 first round pick than pick 1 this year.
But if Shiel & Setterfield both requested trades to Carlton - I know what I would be demanding if I were GWS.

If Carlton were to give up pick 1, I think it will try and move back into the top 10. GWS has pick 13. Maybe that pick gets involved in the trade if pick 1 was involved. If Carlton takes pick 13, it can use those extra two second round picks to trade up the order.

Carlton currently has at least 5 list spots. Assume that Setterfield, Shiel, McGovern all come to us. Scrimshaw is also on the cards. Carlton might not go deep into this draft.

Fair enough. I think many tend to dramatically overrate draft picks. From a St Kilda POV I would gladly offer up 2018 pick 3 & 2019 first round pick projected to be pick 1-4 for Shiel & Setterfield. Shiel a bonafide gun mid & in Setterfield you are essentially getting a highly rated prospect not overly different to hitting the draft this year.

Fair enough. I think many tend to dramatically overrate draft picks. From a St Kilda POV I would gladly offer up 2018 pick 3 & 2019 first round pick projected to be pick 1-4 for Shiel & Setterfield. Shiel a bonafide gun mid & in Setterfield you are essentially getting a highly rated prospect not overly different to hitting the draft this year.

Neutrals to this trade (i.e. those who are not Carlton or GWS supporters) are far more likely to accurately predict what will unfold

Mate there is no way in hell you can get all four of them and keep pick one or have any other draft pick inside 50. Reckon if Shiel goes to Carlton GWS will have to be eying pick 1. Cant see why else they would trade him. Otherwise they’d hold him to the contract ala Gibbs. You don’t let guns go easily or for future picks in twelve months time.

Mate there is no way in hell you can get all four of them and keep pick one or have any other draft pick inside 50. Reckon if Shiel goes to Carlton GWS will have to be eying pick 1. Cant see why else they would trade him. Otherwise they’d hold him to the contract ala Gibbs. You don’t let guns go easily or for future picks in twelve months time.

Fair enough. But we have 2019 picks to trade also.

I think it's possible.

1. Give GWS pick 1 and one of Carlton's second round pick (pick 23) for Shiel, Setterfield and their first (pick 13).
2. Use that pick 13 everything else (Carlton's other second round pick (pick 25), 2019's third round pick, Jones, Casboult) to try and get back into the top 10.
3. Use priority pick to get McGovern (assuming this PP is high enough, i.e. pick 15).
4. Get Scrimshaw with a future second round pick and anything left over from step 2 (e.g. Jones or Casboult as temporary cover for Lynch/May).
5. Get Fasolo.

IN: Shiel, Setterfield, McGovern, Scrimshaw, Fasolo, top 10 pick
OUT: Pick 1, 13, priority pick, 23, 25, 2019 second round (possibly Jones and/or Casboult)

Step 1 is clearly overs. Could only work if GWS are heavily into pick 1, as has been rumoured.
I haven't put in 2019's first round pick in the above combination either.

Last edited:
Back