Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

• Carlton

Votes: 182 39.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 146 31.9%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 71 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You give me too much credit. I don’t do my own maths. I rely on sometimes dodgy journos to do that for me

Sloppy journalism by Stevo there. Given he’s a football ‘expert’, he should know that Wright is actually the General Manager of Football now and not the List Manager.

Who says we can't match your financial offer? We just aren't that silly, you & Saints will have to cough up more than us for him to pick you guys.

We have reportedly commissioned a recent Archibald prize winner to paint an oil-based potrait of Patrick Cripps for Shiel to hang in his dining room. Its reallly going to tie the room together while offering a talking point for dinner guests. Dylan was apparently moved to the point of tears by the touching gesture. Said he'd never seen something so magnificent.

Mate there is no way in hell you can get all four of them and keep pick one or have any other draft pick inside 50. Reckon if Shiel goes to Carlton GWS will have to be eying pick 1. Cant see why else they would trade him. Otherwise they’d hold him to the contract ala Gibbs. You don’t let guns go easily or for future picks in twelve months time.
Pick 1 won't be traded

We have reportedly commissioned a recent Archibald prize winner to paint an oil-based potrait of Patrick Cripps for Shiel to hang in his dining room. Its reallly going to tie the room together while offering a talking point for dinner guests. Dylan was apparently moved to the point of tears by the touching gesture. Said he'd never seen something so magnificent.
Lol I take it back. Lock Shiel in

Fair enough. But we have 2019 picks to trade also.

I think it's possible.

1. Give GWS pick 1 and one of Carlton's second round pick (pick 23) for Shiel, Setterfield and their first (pick 13).
2. Use that pick 13 everything else (Carlton's other second round pick (pick 25), 2019's third round pick, Jones, Casboult) to try and get back into the top 10.
3. Use priority pick to get McGovern (assuming this PP is high enough, i.e. pick 15).
4. Get Scrimshaw with a future second round pick and anything left over from step 2 (e.g. Jones or Casboult as temporary cover for Lynch/May).
5. Get Fasolo.

IN: Shiel, Setterfield, McGovern, Scrimshaw, Fasolo, top 10 pick
OUT: Pick 1, 13, priority pick, 23, 25, 2019 second round (possibly Jones and/or Casboult)

Step 1 is clearly overs. Could only work if GWS are heavily into pick 1, as has been rumoured.
I haven't put in 2019's first round pick in the above combination either.
Yeh ridicilous overs. 8 & MM for 1 looks completely reasonable compared to that.

No idea of where he is going to but i kinda take offense to Carlton supporters talking about laughable trade scenarios. Have you never seen the stuff posted on your board?
You guys are on some seriously good s**t over there, share the wealth.

Oh please.

Don’t be so naive as to think it doesn’t happen on every team board.

Yeh ridicilous overs. 8 & MM for 1 looks completely reasonable compared to that.

Depends on how much value is ultimately placed on Pick 1, doesn't it?
Assume those at the table agree that 1 and 23 is overs for Shiel, Setterfield and pick 13.
Then I go back to: Carlton's 2019 first and pick 12 for Shiel and Setterfield.
Personally, I think the latter trade is at the mark.

Depends on how much value is ultimately placed on Pick 1, doesn't it?
Assume those at the table agree that 1 and 23 is overs for Shiel, Setterfield and pick 13.
Then I go back to: Carlton's 2019 first and pick 12 for Shiel and Setterfield.
Personally, I think the latter trade is at the mark.
I think you got it round the wrong way. It’s how much value does Carlton place on Shiel? Pick one is an unknown quantity. Probably be a success if Walsh turns out as good as him to be honest. Carlton have an opportunity to trade pick 1 and get something back aswell as get a gun midfielder who improves you from day 1. Does that sound bad to Carlton fans?

I think you got it round the wrong way. It’s how much value does Carlton place on Shiel? Pick one is an unknown quantity. Probably be a success if Walsh turns out as good as him to be honest. Carlton have an opportunity to trade pick 1 and get something back aswell as get a gun midfielder who improves you from day 1. Does that sound bad to Carlton fans?

On that logic, I don't see there being a material difference in giving GWS the 2019 first round pick (plus a 2018 pick 12). Like pick 1 in 2018, Carlton's first 2019 pick is an unknown quantity, but probably will be a success also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On that logic, I don't see there being a material difference in giving GWS the 2019 first round pick (plus a 2018 pick 12). Like pick 1 in 2018, Carlton's first 2019 pick is an unknown quantity, but probably will be a success also.
Fair point there. Think GWS should hold him for 12 months try and get a flag next year match his FA salary and then do the trade? Otherwise they’d be writing off any chance of a flag and getting nothing for 12 months.

Fair point there. Think GWS should hold him for 12 months try and get a flag next year match his FA salary and then do the trade? Otherwise they’d be writing off any chance of a flag and getting nothing for 12 months.

The press seem to be flagging that its a 50/50 proposition that he stays (for the premiership tilt) or goes now.
These people are highly trained negotiators and have all been taught interest-based bargaining.

Assume for the moment Shiel tells GWS that he is open to being traded to Carlton now. For GWS the interest-based position is:
- In dealing with Carlton now, we have the possibility of getting a higher pick for Shiel, when compared to our free agency compensation this year.
- Carlton can offer us the 2019 first rounder. That pick is likely to be 10 picks higher when compared to our free agency compensation.
- Dealing with Carlton now helps us with our salary cap issue.
- Is it worth turning that offer down, and taking a punt on the salary cap management issue, in order to keep Shiel for the premiership tilt?

If I was GWS I would take the premiership tilt option and keep him, and try to offload lesser players to manage the cap issue.

That's why Carlton needs to offer more than the 2019 first round pick. As mentioned, I reckon Carlton should be trying to get a pick at arond 12 this year and packaging that up for Setterfield. If I was GWS that would convince me to do the trade.

I still think the club will be better off if Shiel is interested in going to Melbourne to trade him this year and that would free up the cash to sign all the 2019 OOC players
Hawks are a possibility but if the rumours are true it would be a choice between Wingard and Shiel and I can see Wingard interested in the bright lights of Melbourne it would then come down to salary as I may be wrong but I think the Doggies would offer more and also the same with the Bombers offering Shiel more salary if the rumours are true of their interest
Hard choice for both players but it keeps a lot of people entertained and some morons employed
And always a chance that the Hawks/Bombers work out trades to get more suitable picks to satisfy the club
I see the value Shiel around pick 5 maybe a bit high for some but he is contracted and also with 2 maybe 3 clubs interested in him it could be part of the decision process

If North miss out on Gaff would they be interested?
Thought they had 2 million to spend on players and although Polec is going I would take their future first and something this year

I still think the club will be better off if Shiel is interested in going to Melbourne to trade him this year and that would free up the cash to sign all the 2019 OOC players
Hawks are a possibility but if the rumours are true it would be a choice between Wingard and Shiel and I can see Wingard interested in the bright lights of Melbourne it would then come down to salary as I may be wrong but I think the Doggies would offer more and also the same with the Bombers offering Shiel more salary if the rumours are true of their interest
Hard choice for both players but it keeps a lot of people entertained and some morons employed
And always a chance that the Hawks/Bombers work out trades to get more suitable picks to satisfy the club
I see the value Shiel around pick 5 maybe a bit high for some but he is contracted and also with 2 maybe 3 clubs interested in him it could be part of the decision process

If North miss out on Gaff would they be interested?
Thought they had 2 million to spend on players and although Polec is going I would take their future first and something this year

You're thought process is contradictory. Yes, Shiel is contracted - but you have salary cap issues and as you say moving Shiel's contract on will help you retain all your other players. No club will place any weight on the argument that Shiel is contracted, and therefore, he commands a higher pick, when you need to move contracts out of the cap.

You're thought process is contradictory. Yes, Shiel is contracted - but you have salary cap issues and as you say moving Shiel's contract on will help you retain all your other players. No club will place any weight on the argument that Shiel is contracted, and therefore, he commands a higher pick, when you need to move contracts out of the cap.

I think the club will trade out one of Shiel/Lobb to ease the SC concerns and if the Shiel is happy to stay then the club can try and work a deal with Lobb it is a matter of if Shiel can be enticed out of the Giants and that is where the players salary comes into it

Formerly great team, but not much scope with the current list. Shiel will be looking for sustained finals in the next 5-7 years, Carlton can provide that from 2020 onward.

Just not quite sure that Hawthorn is his best option.
Lol, Carlton won’t be playing finals in the next 5 years

Yup. Prob be 2 top 5 picks. Saints need experience in the middle & also get a young talented mid as steak knives. GWS shed salary & get 2 very early picks. The difficult part is convincing Shiel to come to a rabble. Hanners is so you never know.
Saints could pull a stunning trade period off.

Hanneberry is a strange one, but if he is 1 of 3 or 4 quality recruits, all of a sudden things look different.
Offer Gaff 1.1m
Offer Shiel 1.1m

Midfield starts to look pretty good with Ross, Steven, Gaff, Shiel, and Hanneberry supported by Billings, Clark, Acres & Coffield.
the hard part is convincing the first one to convince the others

Back