Recommitted Dylan Stephens [re-signed for two years]

Bad Seed

Team Captain
Jan 29, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
If he nominated Essendon pick 11 seems fair right?

I’m not crazy thinking it will be 3 weeks of Dodo packaging picks in the 40s…..

Not the player Essendon needs at all. No way in high hell you'd get much value from dodo. Pray he nominates Adelaide.

If he nominated Essendon pick 11 seems fair right?

I’m not crazy thinking it will be 3 weeks of Dodo packaging picks in the 40s…..

I'd be laughing for a week if you got 11 out of Essendon for Stephens.

He's be around a mid-to-late 2nd. 2 years in the system, and not a best 22 player certainly tanks a players value. Probably the only thing that gives him his mid-to-late 2nd value is that he was a pick 5 two years ago.

Gratees

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I'd be laughing for a week if you got 11 out of Essendon for Stephens.

He's be around a mid-to-late 2nd. 2 years in the system, and not a best 22 player certainly tanks a players value. Probably the only thing that gives him his mid-to-late 2nd value is that he was a pick 5 two years ago.
Based on the way Dodoro does his buisness they are lucky for anything above a 4th from the dons

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
What did you pay for Caldwell? Wouldn't it be similar for Stephens? Also why do Essendon want another mid, they've already got Shiel that won't be in the starting engine room.

Don’t think 11 is on the table for a kid who has played 15 games in 2 seasons.

At the start of this thread many were suggesting about pick 20-25 (Adelaide’s 23 came up a bit). Unfortunately we don’t have a second rounder this year as we gave it to GWS as part of the deal for Caldwell, so I don’t see an obvious solution.

We have a future second but that probably won’t satisfy anything on its own unless we completely fu** things up XD. If we want him we basically need to trade a player out to get some picks (haven’t heard anything of the sort to date), or if we did some other deal with pick 11 to split it then maybe that would produce an appropriate pick for Stephens.

🤷‍♀️

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Why should a second year player get to choose his destination? He's a pick 5, if he wants to leave for more opportunities shouldn't Sydney seek the best deal for them, he's not a free agent, why should he earn the right to pick his destination? If he wants a trade Sydney should be allowed to explore what's best for them

Not the player Essendon needs at all. No way in high hell you'd get much value from dodo. Pray he nominates Adelaide.

Gratees

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Why should a second year player get to choose his destination? He's a pick 5, if he wants to leave for more opportunities shouldn't Sydney seek the best deal for them, he's not a free agent, why should he earn the right to pick his destination? If he wants a trade Sydney should be allowed to explore what's best for them
Everyone has the right to choose there destination, if they arent a free agent there club has the right to deny a trade, thats how the AFL works now. If you are wondering why my best guess would be "americanizing" the sport, it makes for better headlines, better headlines means more clicks, more clicks generally results in more money

Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea
Don’t think 11 is on the table for a kid who has played 15 games in 2 seasons.

At the start of this thread many were suggesting about pick 20-25 (Adelaide’s 23 came up a bit). Unfortunately we don’t have a second rounder this year as we gave it to GWS as part of the deal for Caldwell, so I don’t see an obvious solution.

We have a future second but that probably won’t satisfy anything on its own unless we completely fu** things up XD. If we want him we basically need to trade a player out to get some picks (haven’t heard anything of the sort to date), or if we did some other deal with pick 11 to split it then maybe that would produce an appropriate pick for Stephens.

🤷‍♀️
Edmunds reporting that the swans are shopping him. He’s clearly not that highly rated and hasn’t really done anything at AFL level. I don’t think you can expect more than a second rounder for him.

As an aside, I really hope we split 11 and take 2 late first rounders to the draft.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Why bring in free agency then? It's happening to players 2 years in the system, how can interstate clubs keep their players? They do 2 years and move wherever they want, how does that equate to an even comp? Maybe first round picks sign on for 4 years.

All the current system does is favour the players, with clubs having little say. Why should a second year player choose? If he wants to go home then there's a plethora of Vic clubs that should be able to trade for the player, if they want opportunity, then all 17 clubs should be able to deal with the club.

Everyone has the right to choose there destination, if they arent a free agent there club has the right to deny a trade, thats how the AFL works now. If you are wondering why my best guess would be "americanizing" the sport, it makes for better headlines, better headlines means more clicks, more clicks generally results in more money

Edmunds reporting that the swans are shopping him. He’s clearly not that highly rated and hasn’t really done anything at AFL level. I don’t think you can expect more than a second rounder for him.

As an aside, I really hope we split 11 and take 2 late first rounders to the draft.
Edmund was also part of the media gang that said we were refusing to budge on two years at $500k for Luke Parker, who just signed for 4 years on $600-700k.

Last edited:

Gratees

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Why bring in free agency then? It's happening to players 2 years in the system, how can interstate clubs keep their players? They do 2 years and move wherever they want, how does that equate to an even comp? Maybe first round picks sign on for 4 years.

All the current system does is favour the players, with clubs having little say. Why should a second year player choose? If he wants to go home then there's a plethora of Vic clubs that should be able to trade for the player, if they want opportunity, then all 17 clubs should be able to deal with the club.
Let's be honest it isn't designed to help clubs, it's designed for attention (and the player). The AFL knows that whether or not a system is good or bad attention is attention. The AFL doesn't have great competition, the NRL is as close as it gets and that comp is ****ed when it comes to how even the comp is so the AFL knows it doesn't have to worry. As far as going home he is from Mildura so Adelaide makes more sense since it is a lot closer to home despite being in a different state. For opportunity, he would go anywhere but only Adelaide and Essendon are offering that. I suppose this whole system is the fault of the AFL having no real competition in Australia so it can just do whatever it wants

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
Did I miss something? Where is the Essendon chatter coming from?
Usual Vic Media speculation.

Thats code for "i got nothing, but i'd like some hits and invites onto radio and tv, thanx"

Same stuff as the " Parker's only been offered 2 yrs on way way unders " concoction....
and the "Sydney's celery squeeze is huge and must dump some "

For all anyone knows, Sydney's "problem" might be coz they are chasing a name player and need some space.
They talk s**t coz they dont know s**t, and hope it will draw a response from the club which wont comment coz it is meant to be confidential.

Last edited:

Gratees

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Well if you want some real tin foil hat s**t, I live in Mildura and know some of his family, they seem to think he is off to Adelaide. This was before Essendon got involved so it may have changed, Also he can just change his mind whenever he wants so yknow its never set in stone

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Fun fact - Stephens was taken for the pick the swans wouldn't give up for Daniher.

Caldwell bucket for me. Highly rated, ex high pick, just not getting a game.
2nd + 3rd value. Our 1st this year won't go on the table

Next year gettable given we have a F/S who could attract a high bid. But given we have Dodoro and not Guy running things, would expect F1 is Stephens + 2nd back.

What did you pay for Caldwell? Wouldn't it be similar for Stephens? Also why do Essendon want another mid, they've already got Shiel that won't be in the starting engine room.
Caldwell and late picks for our second round picks last year and this year. I don’t see how we produce 2 seconds this time though.

I think Stephens is thought of as an outside player. I’d expect Shiel in the midfield rotation. All the talk of no room for Shiel seems to come from the assumptions that the entire list stays healthy all year and only 3 players will ever attend a centre bounce. Can thank Lloyd and Cornes for that clickbait.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
we don't bat deep
Shiel injury exposed us. If Parish doesn't have blinder of a year & Stringer doesn't do his Dusty impersonations, we finish bottom 4.

We need depth so our starting midfield quality can compete
Draper Stringer Shiel
Merrett Parish McGrath

Cox.- Wing/Flank
Perkins - Mid/fwd
Langford - Mid/fwd
Caldwell - Inside mid
Stephens - outside mid
Durham - Wing

FreeAgent1

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyway, it all comes down to who he nominates. Obviously Swans have blown their salary cap with their exhorbitant Buddy deal so they need to clear the books.
The posturing begins.

I mean which part of the dialogue would you like:
Role 1: He is highly valued, good pick, great future 2 x firsts.
Role 2: No Way, hasnt played 1 x 2nd.
Role 1: Fine 1 x first.
Role 2: Fine late first.*
Role 1: Deal.**

*If this deal involves Dodo expect daily media leaks for why the other party is unreasonable and downplaying value whilst paying $$.
**On BF this will reoccur in 30min cycles with "walk him to PSD threats"

Back