Recommitted Dyson Heppell [re-signed for 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Any Essendon fans got an up to date inside scoop on this? The video I watched of media talking to him outside the hangar gave me 'hes gone' vibes. I am not super excited about getting him but he could be worthwhile and might do well with a change of scenery/more stability.

I would be very surprised if he left Essendon he seems like Bombers man.
Plus he is captain atm.

I would be very surprised if he left Essendon he seems like Bombers man.
Plus he is captain atm.
Captains sometimes leave - see your current FF
I don't mind it tbh.

He's there moreso as a cultural fit than to provide whatever leadership is expected on him. Would still sit in the Suns best 11-15 players, be a reasonable depth player for however many seasons and then potentially integrate into coaching role.

Has looked pretty poor at times this year, but it's probably time for a move. He looks tired and had to contend with the supplements saga and a yoyoing Bombers side basically since he was drafted. The move should hopefully refresh him and get him back playing some reasonable footy without the weight of expectation.
I’d personally have him ranked a bit lower on the whole list.

But would play whilst Weller, buderick are out.

Would add some on field leadership which we probably lacked when falling just short against Collingwood and port Adelaide this year.

He is clearly not a Dangerfield or Luke Parker type leader. But not every effective leader is.

Ability to coach is pretty hard for us to understand if not part of the every day setup.

Guys like Andrew mcqualter, Stewart dew, Ashley Hansen wouldn’t have really struck me as coaches during their playing career looking from the outside in, but have all excelled.

Think he could be a good get if he chooses to come.

Any Essendon fans got an up to date inside scoop on this? The video I watched of media talking to him outside the hangar gave me 'hes gone' vibes. I am not super excited about getting him but he could be worthwhile and might do well with a change of scenery/more stability.
4 years is a good deal if thats whats on offer.
I could see him fit into the suns system quite well. You have a sound defensive structure and a lot of hard runners. Not sure who he'd displace though.

I imagine for now he's watching where things land at essendon and if we offer something more attractive in an attempt at stability.

If you pay him a fortune and get us a late 2nd rd pick, that'd be nice though :p

Is there an end of 2nd rd band? That was best i was hoping for.
3rd would be 41. 2nd would be 23.
Latter seems too high.

There is a end of 2nd round band actually..
I think it makes it more fair when lower clubs receive what appears to be overs when their free agents leave.

N
Isn't it 2 year playing 2 year coaching? can't see it being on huge money will be a late pick at best if that's the case
No idea tbh. Not a lot being reported. Saw it as a 4 year offer. So whether latter two years are less about playing (similar to lynch at north?) or being less relied upon?

There is a end of 2nd round band actually..
I think it makes it more fair when lower clubs receive what appears to be overs when their free agents leave.
Much of muchness.
End of 2nd is around 37. 3rd would be 42. Either way it probably ends up being used to match a davey bid, then slides back for the other davey.

Id be looking to load our 2nd and either later pick to get ahead of the first davey bid anyway. Good chance for 3x 1st rd selections again this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

havent heard anything official but he would be stupid to not take it up.

we will barely get anything in comp. Big win is the salary cap space. he was on a juicy salary.

Probably should be around the same range as the compo pick Carlton will get for Liam Jones, but who the hell knows for sure?

age-wise i'd expect nothing
but 4 years and potential dollars could tip it towards something like end of 2nd or 3rd (difference of 4 picks)

who even knows though.
Is year 3 and 4 counted in the salary cap? 2 years playing and the next 2 in the soft cap. I would doubt the club would pay a non playing coach in the salary cap.

Is year 3 and 4 counted in the salary cap? 2 years playing and the next 2 in the soft cap. I would doubt the club would pay a non playing coach in the salary cap.
i dont think any details other than a rumoured 4 have been leaked.
imagine they give him 4 playing, then if the body forces retirement early he moves to soft cap.

warmer weather 12 games a year may help longevity?

i dont think any details other than a rumoured 4 have been leaked.
imagine they give him 4 playing, then if the body forces retirement early he moves to soft cap.

warmer weather 12 games a year may help longevity?

I still think - even if he retired in 2 the 4 will count to the salary cap. It was the worry if Buddy couldn't fulfil his full 9 years - Swans would carry a million for a non player.

But yeah he might thaw out and play 4 - the goldie is a long way from cold crazyburn!!

The idea that Heppell could go to Suns and "do a Hodge" is a bit silly.

Heppell couldnt tie Hodge's shoe laces.

Dont think Heppell even gets a game at the Suns.

Heppell very lucky Bombers have offered him a year. He's crazy if he doesnt take it. Might get pulled.

The idea that Heppell could go to Suns and "do a Hodge" is a bit silly.

Heppell couldnt tie Hodge's shoe laces.

Dont think Heppell even gets a game at the Suns.

Heppell very lucky Bombers have offered him a year. He's crazy if he doesnt take it. Might get pulled.
Suns are offering him 4 years to not play a game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back