Strategy e-AFL: GWS Team Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

Due to the postponement of the AFL for the near future, it's been decided that we will run a simulated AFL season on BigFooty. This will use the Qooty program created by Mobbs , which is currently being used for the Sweet FA competition. Further details are on the main board by the Sweet FA Admin
Ant Bear:

As a tl;dr, Qooty is a completely random football simulator. What we are going to do is use real player names and simulate the 17 round AFL season.
Each week there will be 2 rounds, complete with match threads for banter against opposition fans. At this stage it seems these threads will just be in the main board but that may change.
At the end, there will be a Brownlow Medallist and Coleman Medallist as well as a Norm Smith medallist.

I have volunteered to be the coach of the GWS side, ably assisted by Callums_Guns . All this means is that I will be the one submitting our team sheet for each round, but I will be looking to you all to help me out with what changes we think need to be made or should be made. The 2 principles I will be using are:

1) Give Jeremy Cameron the best chance of retaining the Coleman by playing him FF every game
2) Rotate the squad based on form and give games to the whole squad. When Jake Riccardi gets a debut in real life he will have already played in e-AFL (and already hopefully scored his first goal).

For round 1 (where we play Essendon) all teams have used the named teams (minus two from the bench, as Qooty only needs 20 players). The match thread for the game, which will be played today at 5pm, is here:

I will put proposed teams in this thread. Feel free to suggest changes! The round 2 proposed team will be up on this thread tomorrow (as this is e-AFL, I might potentially bring back Ward, Taranto and Williams, though that depends on how their replacements do today!).

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Let's try and bring some of the excitement that footy would normally bring in this troubling time.

It would be ironic if we won the e-flag!

Nevertheless, in our current time of crisis, I applaud the effort to do something, anything for some afl enjoyment.

Good luck, and Go Giants!

Great to meet you!

Pop over to the thread (bounce in an hour) to see how it all works, I’ll pm you after.

Round 1 result
Greater Western Sydney Giants : 9.7.61
Essendon Bombers : 12.9.81

We went 26-0 down in the first quarter and never recovered. Captain Coniglio led the team with 8 marks, while Harry Himmelberg got 3 goals.

It’s the Hawks next on Wednesday where we will recover. Proposed team to be posted here tomorrow.

Round 2 proposed team

So the rookies did well but we want some experience in to prevent 0-2. So we're looking for potentially our best 22 for this game. Any suggestions/changes, let me know!

B: Harry Perryman - Sam Taylor - Nick Haynes
HB: Zac Williams - Phil Davis - Heath Shaw
C: Callan Ward - Stephen Coniglio - Lachie Whitfield
HF: Toby Greene - Jeremy Finlayson - Tim Taranto
F: Brent Daniels - Jeremy Cameron - Harry Himmelberg
Foll: Sam Jacobs - Josh Kelly - Jacob Hopper

INT: Matt de Boer - Adam Kennedy

[CHANGES:
Aiden Corr: BP -> OUT
Heath Shaw: OUT -> HBF
Harry Perryman: HBF -> BP
Isaac Cumming: HBF -> OUT
Zac Williams: OUT -> HBF
Daniel Lloyd: W -> OUT
Callan Ward: OUT -> W
Jeremy Finlayson: FF -> CHF
Jeremy Cameron: CHF -> FF
Matt de Boer: HFF -> Int
Tim Taranto: OUT -> HFF
Tom Green: Int -> OUT
Adam Kennedy: OUT -> Int
Zac Langdon: Int -> OUT]

Round 1 result
Greater Western Sydney Giants : 9.7.61
Essendon Bombers : 12.9.81

We went 26-0 down in the first quarter and never recovered. Captain Coniglio led the team with 8 marks, while Harry Himmelberg got 3 goals.

It’s the Hawks next on Wednesday where we will recover. Proposed team to be posted here tomorrow.

To dominate in the midfield and not get the win is disappointing but was difficult playing catch up in the second half

Big game against The General and Scully next....

Round 2 proposed team

So the rookies did well but we want some experience in to prevent 0-2. So we're looking for potentially our best 22 for this game. Any suggestions/changes, let me know!

B: Harry Perryman - Sam Taylor - Nick Haynes
HF: Toby Greene - Jeremy Finlayson - Tim Taranto
F: Brent Daniels - Jeremy Cameron - Harry Himmelberg

[CHANGES:
Aiden Corr: BP -> OUT
Heath Shaw: OUT -> HBF
Harry Perryman: HBF -> BP
Isaac Cumming: HBF -> OUT
Zac Williams: OUT -> HBF
Daniel Lloyd: W -> OUT
Callan Ward: OUT -> W
Jeremy Finlayson: FF -> CHF
Jeremy Cameron: CHF -> FF
Matt de Boer: HFF -> Int
Tim Taranto: OUT -> HFF
Tom Green: Int -> OUT
Adam Kennedy: OUT -> Int
Zac Langdon: Int -> OUT]

The coach is brutal...

But good to see Ward and Zac back, Finlayson needs a big game at CHF especially with Riccardi having a blinder in the 2nds on the weekend

Expect De Boer to come on quickly and stop Mitchell

The coach is brutal...

But good to see Ward and Zac back, Finlayson needs a big game at CHF especially with Riccardi having a blinder in the 2nds on the weekend

Expect De Boer to come on quickly and stop Mitchell

I feel that Riccardi will be getting his debut in Rd3. Brent Daniels is also on notice after 100% TOG but only 1K,0H,1T and 1 behind.

Rumours from the captain's group is that Hawks didn't put their team sheet in time, so their team is unchanged...they may resim, but if not JOM has another chance :)
Doesn't matter who they have in the team with Ward and Zac back the orange tsunami will be back in full flight at the G tomorrow night

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROUND 2 RESULTS

Hawthorn Hawks : 25.11.161
Greater Western Sydney Giants : 13.15.93

Jonathon Patton came back to haunt us with 9 goals. Another slow start, going 40 points behind early on. Finlayson and Daniels scored 3 goals each.

Round 3 proposed team

So we have one home game then a couple of away games. I reckon that we'll give the players returning from injuries another game and then perhaps give them a rest (Williams, Ward, Taranto - even Sam Jacobs could have a rest, though it will be Flynn coming in, not Mummy). Perryman has had a quiet couple of games so we'll bring in Ash for debut, as well as the exciting prospect Riccardi.

B: Lachlan Ash - Sam Taylor - Nick Haynes
HF: Toby Greene - Jake Riccardi - Tim Taranto
F: Brent Daniels - Jeremy Cameron - Jeremy Finlayson

Callums_Guns - anyone tearing it up on the track? I'm hearing good things about Callum Brown.
GWS Goose - what's the news from the medical rooms? Everyone still fit and firing?
Giant Strides - the fans must be disappointed. Are the fans particularly unhappy about anyone or pushing for someone to come back?

Last edited:
Round 3 proposed team

So we have one home game then a couple of away games. I reckon that we'll give the players returning from injuries another game and then perhaps give them a rest (Williams, Ward, Taranto - even Sam Jacobs could have a rest, though it will be Flynn coming in, not Mummy). Perryman has had a quiet couple of games so we'll bring in Ash for debut, as well as the exciting prospect Riccardi.

Callums_Guns - anyone tearing it up on the track? I'm hearing good things about Callum Brown.
GWS Goose - what's the news from the medical rooms? Everyone still fit and firing?
Giant Strides - the fans must be disappointed. Are the fans particularly unhappy about anyone or pushing for someone to come back?
Langdon doing a Church cover
HH heard asking wtf is the Bacardi dude
Ash patting himself on the back for glueing Perryman's bootlaces together

Langdon doing a Church cover
HH heard asking wtf is the Bacardi dude
Ash patting himself on the back for glueing Perryman's bootlaces together

Haha so...no changes to the team above?

Round 3 proposed team

Think you have this coaching thing down pat Chipmunk, Himmelberg 0.3 needs to find some form in the e-NEAFL

Riccardi had another promising hit out in the 2's in the curtain raiser yesterday with 8.3 so excited about his debut along with Ash

You have the selections sorted now they just to switch on

ROUND 3 RESULTS

Greater Western Sydney Giants : 12.10.82
Adelaide Crows : 13.12.90

It’s the same story as we go 25 points down in the first quarter. Despite some great performances from Josh Kelly (34 disposals) and great rookie performances from Ash (29 disposals) and Riccardi it wasn’t enough. Callan Ward didn’t look his best and might be a test for Wednesday.

ROUND 4 Proposed team

We’re 0-3 but didn’t play badly this game, so just some tweaks. Plan to bring Zac Langdon back for Finlayson and Hately for Ward.

C: Jackson Hately - Stephen Coniglio - Lachie Whitfield
F: Brent Daniels - Jeremy Cameron - Zac Langdon

Any news I should be aware of?
Callums_Guns GWS Goose Giant Strides Determinant

Chipmunk proposed team looks good 👍

2 changes only and all on notice for the up coming game

If we drop another it might be clear the whiteboard and reward the players that are playing e-NEAFL
They got the job done so many times last season

Round 4 thread:

ROUND 4 RESULT

Port Adelaide Power : 10.12.72
Greater Western Sydney Giants : 11.6.72

Probably a fair result with Port having a lot of the pressure but wayward with the kicking. Jeremy Cameron made the most of the opportunity, kicking 6.

Unfortunately with Carlton and Sydney having upset wins we are still bottom. The coach will use Sunday's game to give the rest of the squad a game.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back