Strategy e-AFL Saints Team Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Sainters!

Some of you might know me, I'm a Sainter myself, I take part in this fantasy comp called SFA. Due to our current situation in RL, AFL got suspended. For most of us, footy is everything and Saints are like our 2nd home. I know we miss Footy, but fella's at SFA have come up with this idea of simulating an AFL season and see how that goes. It's definitely not like watching our boys run riot or choke up 30 point leads. But it's something, something to keep us sane. To clarify, I've put myself up for "coach" of this team, but i'm more than happy to share that role with any of you or even give it up.

Below here you can find out what this is all about.

At the encouragement of Chief, and with the blessing of your erstwhile moderators Wooshette and ShanDog, I can announce that the AFL Season is to be recreated in a simulation form during the hiatus announced today by the AFL Commission. This is mooted as following the plan of a 17-round season, each team playing the other once. Then a 8 team finals series, with a Coleman Medal winner and a Brownlow Medallist to be announced.

Some of you may be aware of the Sweet FA, a fantasy Football board on BigFooty, where posters are entered into a sim program written by BigFooty legend Mobbs to create games and seasons. This AFL season will use the same program, called Qooty, or QuickFooty, to create games between teams of AFL players.

The way it will work is likely to be:
  • 17 round season, all teams play each other once.
  • Top 8 finals series
  • Fixture to be released shortly
  • 2 rounds per week. One to start Monday mornings, posted Thursdays; the next to be started Thursday nights, posted Sundays
  • Separate match thread for each game. BF posters can use these as their banter threads
  • Ladder and stats thread, using stats generated by the sim program.
  • Brownlow medallist and Coleman Medallist to be named during Finals. These are again generated by the sim program
We have a team of simmers, ie people who have downloaded the sim program and are experienced in its use. They enter the named teams for each match into the program, which generates a commentary file and a stats/aftermatch summary file, and then the simmers dropbox the results into a group chat for the match posters, who copy the match commentary into the threads on "Game Day". Below is an example of how the final product is posted:
Spoiler

We have a lot of games to get through if this is to get going, so it is reasonably urgent that we get started ASAP. We will ask for some help from the good people of the Main Board, it will develop quickly and a routine will form. You'll soon get the hang of it.

Firstly, we will need people to start the match threads - two rounds of 9 games per week is a lot to get through. They don't need to be special, and again, it may evolve that the home team becomes responsible for starting the threads.

We will also look for posters on here that may be willing to assist in the posting of the games. It is a simple copy/paste of the files that are drop boxed into the group chat. To start with, we have a number of match posters from the SFA board who have volunteered to assist, but again, it is a lot to get through in a condensed timeframe.

Each club team will need a "coach", ie someone who can name a team from each club's current AFL list for each game with any changes noted. These people will also be brought into a planning-type conversation, or group, where further information will be made available. For the first round, we will probably use the teams as named for the real round 1 completed today. Please note that this will not be appointed on a first in basis; it has been suggested that a board mod from each club may be best for the coaching role, but it is evolving and this may not be the case.

A fixture is currently being prepared - the AFL fixture could not be used because of double-up games. This will be posted, either in here or in a separate, dedicated thread, as soon as is practical.

We are currently planning to start this Wednesday, with the match threads being posted. We will use the named round 1 AFL teams for the first games (side note - the sim program only uses 20 players, so 2 will be dropped off the bench). The games may be staggered over Saturday and Sunday. Then we will ramp it up, and start another round of match threads on the following Monday, with games posted that Wednesday, followed by Round 3 being started on Thursday, with games posted on Sunday. and so on.

Please understand that we are doing this at very short notice, with the aim of giving you all something to smile about and something to cheer for during this national health crisis. We will encounter some obstacles along the way, but try to have some fun and feel free to contact the appointed club coach, board mods or any of the organising team if you want to help out in some way. Or just post in this thread :smiley:

Stay safe, stay well and if you feel something coming on, don't share it around!

This is the match thread, where you can come and banter with the opposition team! I look forward to marching with you fellas.

Seeing that we only just sit outside the eight, this will be a perfect chance for us to push up the ladder.
You may have to ring in a few changes from last week Sab22 but hopefully we can make amends.

They have already picked the teams, rolled with the ones picked for R1. I'll make the changes for R2 with inputs from the Saints fans.

What time is the game?
Unconfirmed at this point, depending upon availability of the matchposter.

Should be tomorrow afternoon, sometime between 2 and 4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we playing yet?
Apparently at 4pm it begins.

Saints board game day thread here:

Main board thread here:

Good win yesterday sorry forgot to do this

R3 E-AFL Saints vs Freo Marvel Stadium 5/04

Hello Saints fans, your Round 3 game against Fremantle is about to begin, click on this link to join us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back