EA Sports AFL 16 game idea

Remove this Banner Ad

That is an incredible article...

I think our only hope is for Big Ant to update AFL Live 1...which has been ruled out...

The AFL don't throw enough money into gaming..

However Rugby League Australia have invested in Tru Blu/Big Ant for three games in a row. Something the AFL have failed to deliver.

It's a complete mess...

I think that AFL Live 1 is going to be the best gameplay and overall game we'll ever get as any quality development in the future will only become more expensive to develop..

Until AFL becomes a global sport, then the challenges of funding may always linger.

Hey John, well though we don't post often (or at all heh), a few of us have been always keeping up to date on posts and ideas shared here. The huge 100-and-something page thread was a good catch up when I began working at the studio (just after AFL2's release).

Past my own 'oh man would love to see X and Y' (which I do a whole lot haha) Any ideas we have had on projects we work on, and getting them put forward and implemented in a game is always a collaborative process. The team here is a great bunch of guys. I couldn't speak for everyone of course, but I did really find that new Fox Sports article a really interesting insight. I'm really looking forward to see what will happen in the future. For now all I can really do is hang out and speculate like anyone :)

Fair enough. I did see the announcement of Rugby Challenge 3 on the Facebook page. Was wondering if you could comment on anything regarding that? The screenshots are looking pretty good, was wondering if the game was on a new engine compared to the old games or if Wicked Witch are using their pre existing versions. If the next AFL looks anything like that it would raise my hopes significantly.

I love all the ideas but let's be realistic, footy fans just want a game that doesn't crap on the chest of the supporters. Over the years the afl game have gotten progressively worse when they should have gotten better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The best games were Afl live 06 and 07. The developers learnt from the crap fest that was 05, looked at what games such as 03 and 04 worked, added those to their model of an AFL game.

Fair enough. I did see the announcement of Rugby Challenge 3 on the Facebook page. Was wondering if you could comment on anything regarding that? The screenshots are looking pretty good, was wondering if the game was on a new engine compared to the old games or if Wicked Witch are using their pre existing versions. If the next AFL looks anything like that it would raise my hopes significantly.

Hey, sorry for the late reply! It's been really exciting easing into this new world that has been passed to us from Sidhe/Pik Pok studio in NZ. I can't say much except that the engine guys here are absolute legends and they've been able to flex their muscles in RC3 to really set up next gen infrastructure. All we've had to do is keep doing what we do (animating for me), and they've been making things look good for Xbone and PS4.

I'm personally really keen to see what we can do with the next gen consoles in the future. Of course it's a big budget world there, but taking advantage of better computing power (with a good infrastructure to make the nicer graphics), a fun satisfying game can definitely be done with a medium size team.

I hope I can be around and answer peoples queries where possible down the track. Again I'm not the one who makes official announcements, but keeping a close eye on feedback and discussions here I've always wanted to be able to show some presence to avoid seeming overly silent or something :)

Great thread guys. This has depressed me but, just imagine what this years release for AFL Live would have in it if Big Ant still made the game :(

Hey, sorry for the late reply! It's been really exciting easing into this new world that has been passed to us from Sidhe/Pik Pok studio in NZ. I can't say much except that the engine guys here are absolute legends and they've been able to flex their muscles in RC3 to really set up next gen infrastructure. All we've had to do is keep doing what we do (animating for me), and they've been making things look good for Xbone and PS4.

I'm personally really keen to see what we can do with the next gen consoles in the future. Of course it's a big budget world there, but taking advantage of better computing power (with a good infrastructure to make the nicer graphics), a fun satisfying game can definitely be done with a medium size team.

I hope I can be around and answer peoples queries where possible down the track. Again I'm not the one who makes official announcements, but keeping a close eye on feedback and discussions here I've always wanted to be able to show some presence to avoid seeming overly silent or something :)

Hi LeeWJ, thanks for getting involved. That's probably half the battle for WW getting a bit more respect in this forum. So the elephant in the room - what is exactly coming next for AFL? Or if you can't say, how long before there is an announcement?

You could have most of these ideas without EA.
Wicked Witch had VFL and TAC Cup (and International teams), I'm not sure if they can get the rights to use SANFL and WAFL but you would assume NEAFL teams would come under the AFL license.
90's teams would have to involve licensing all the individual players so it wouldn't happen but if they had downloadable created rosters like DBC14 it would solve the issue.
As for extra jumpers I don't see why the latest games have so few of them, Premiership 2007 had a ridiculous amount of old ones to choose from.
I also like the idea of unlockables as long as their not tedius to get.
With the 90's teams, You could do what Madden did in the PS2 era and just have the players numbers and then have the ability to edit the players! Someone should pass these ideas to the Wicked Witch guy!

Hi LeeWJ, thanks for getting involved. That's probably half the battle for WW getting a bit more respect in this forum. So the elephant in the room - what is exactly coming next for AFL? Or if you can't say, how long before there is an announcement?

Hi Archer! Thanks for the welcome :) I'll do my best to join in conversations where I can, and though I don't do any announcement making myself, at least I hope I can answer some questions and things on peoples minds.

We've been keeping pretty busy here building infrastructure and working on Rugby Challenge 3. Best thing I can say right now is that I've been so excited by the engine work in the past months, some really epic new additions. Past that we are all rallying to make sure that gameplay is king, and push that with additional features in projects we're working on. Big IP's always take time, so though the fans with sources were probably right an announcement was coming, things change heheh. I guess just keep an eye out and I'm sure there will be more news soon either way :)

Till then I'll be around for sure, and thanks again for the welcome. I'm actually really happy to be able to join in the chats here :D

-Lee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks LeeWJ. Disappointing there is no timeframe but even just to actually hear that is a massive development all the same. There was I believe an announcement on the Tru Blu FB page and plus that photo of the umpire so the perception here is that something is coming. I guess we just wait.

I don't believe you are from Wicked Witch...You seem competent.

hahah I guess all I can say is thank you ;) I'd like to be able to increase communication between simply announcements made (and to some extent the beta events we've held which have been really good), so maybe we can up contact in general :)

I wasn't working here during AFL2, but did begin work on things like the replay and cutscenes for the 2014 DLC among the other games that needed an animator. Though there's not a whole lot I can blabber on about right now, we've been working hard on Rugby Challenge 3 of late and, though it's always tricky to do dev work and creating a large game, the work on the game engine and infrastructure has been exciting from an Animators point of view in terms of what we can do.

I usually check the forums most evenings, so just throw any questions you have my way and I'll do my best to answer them :thumbsu:

just throw any questions you have my way and I'll do my best to answer them :thumbsu:

LeeWJ mate you're messing with us. You can't tell us if there will be another game or DLC but we can ask you questions?

The ones I have and I'm guessing you can't answer any of these are:
- will there be a PS4 / XB1 release?
- Will PC ever get looked at again?
- is the glaring issue of AI going to be tackled
- what other improvements can we expect to see
- what time of schedule are we looking at for releases - major / patch / patch / major? What would WW like to do?

That's off the top of the head, I'm not sure where we'll get heading down this path.

LeeWJ mate you're messing with us. You can't tell us if there will be another game or DLC but we can ask you questions?

The ones I have and I'm guessing you can't answer any of these are:
- will there be a PS4 / XB1 release?
- Will PC ever get looked at again?
- is the glaring issue of AI going to be tackled
- what other improvements can we expect to see
- what time of schedule are we looking at for releases - major / patch / patch / major? What would WW like to do?

That's off the top of the head, I'm not sure where we'll get heading down this path.

Hey thanks for patience and I don't want you to feel like asking about some stuff will be futile. Right now I can only essentially introduce myself, hang out a bit and talk about stuff we're working on right now, but definitely doesn't mean in a couple of weeks things won't change announcement wise and I can answer a lot more :) Even if it takes a little time, I should be able to reply to your questions easily.

What I can say. Past the AFL releases on mobile, I don't believe any plans for 2015 DLC on console this year.

-Lee

Thanks LeeWJ, appreciated. That's certainly news and hopefully it means something good around the corner for March / April next year.

Thinking out loud I wonder if this nudges a next gen release into the equation.

A mate told me today that EA sports are going to make an AFL game. I don't know much yet but this is an exciting an time as we all want a decent AFL game. We payed our money for AFL live 1 and 2 which were terrible. The commentary is crap and repetive, graphics don't look real as the game lacks energy and crowd excitement.

Playing FIFA is almost completely like an actual soccer game.

Looking forward to EA hopefully making a decent AFL game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back