Each Australian state's most notorious/infamous crime?

Remove this Banner Ad

Burton89onegoal

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tasmania - Port Arthur massacre

South Australia - Family murders
(also Snowtown, Truro)

Western Australia - Claremont serial killings
(also Birnie murders, Eric Cooke)

Queensland - vampire murder

NSW - edit - Ivan Milat
(also Granny killer)

Victoria - Hoddle street

Anyone got any thoughts? No doubt Ive missed some obvious ones.

Last edited:
Not mentioned:

Vic: Queen Street, Russell Street, Walsh Street, Silk-Miller, Hanging Rock, Mr Cruel, Melbourne gangland killings, Chang murder, Paul Denyer murders, Meagher murder
SA: Beaumont children, Somerton Man, NCA bombing, Tobin murder
WA: Greenough family murders, Hancock car bombing, Pajich murder, Dodd murder, Ross murder
Qld: Baden-Clay murder, Morcombe murder, Childers Palace fire
NSW: Milperra massacre, Strathfield massacre, Anita Cobby murder, Katherine Knight, Sydney Hilton bombing, Wanda Beach murders, Newman execution, Quakers Hill fire

And in the territories:

NT: Top End killings, Inland Hotel massacre, Falconio murder
ACT: Winchester murder

Hang on a sec.... What is this double dipping and having three or four stabs at it.? The thread Title clearly says each States most notorious crime, not crimes. Also you would have to nominate off both local and international interest , in which case a few of you bastards picks are way off the mark entirely.
Here let the Badger show you how it is done ,-with a few footnotes for the dopier amongst you.

Victoria- Has to be Kelly Gang /siege hostage taking/attempted police train derailment/ wild west style shootout/arson at Glenrowan Hotel. No argument will be entered into here- etched into the National consciousness,history books and International studies about Australian Colonial Life ,

Tasmania - Port Arthur Massacre. Hands down. Hate to even mention the Name of the weasel Bryant but the sick bastard takes the cake here . He should have been given the death penalty for the shooting of the mother and the two little kiddies alone.
Good news is speaking of cake. my mail is the good old boys in the Tasmanian prison officers Club made sure the grub got double serves of prison tucker and even smuggled in special rations of tim Tams and Mars bars to ensure he got as fat as a pig with all the resultant health problems and misery almost as soon as he was incarcerated .Good Work. hopefully take years off the pricks life.
Once again no argument here- the crime made national and international headlines, led to the strictest gun controls in the Western Free World being implemented, changing the rural way of life, and the much debated multi million dollar national gun buy back scheme .

Northern Territory, Child Murder charges and jailing of pastors wife Lindy for alleged murder of poor little Azaria "sacrifice to the gods' Chamberlain. Known all over the world this story had the lot,..... including a deadly dingo.

South Australia-has to be Beaumont Children. Looking very much like SA police cocked this up magnificently early on in the piece totally ignoring a wealthy man known in the area for giving pound notes to little kiddies. Lot of money back then. No such thing as a free lunch unfortunately.

New South Wales. Very Very Hard , numerous contenders . And the winner IS ........Milperra Fathers day Massacre in the Pub Carpark. Eight dead. Spread of international Gang Bandidos to Australia . Innocent 15 year old girl bystander shot dead. One gang President suicides in Jail. Got the lot . couldn't make the story up, internationally renowned.

ACT Winchester Murder. Top Cop gunned down in his Driveway, Eastman jailing/aquital saga, Calabrian Mafia payback theory...its a monster and still ongoing.

Queensland= Whisky Au Go Go Nightclub Fire... numerous punters roasted..Crooked coppers , protection rackets Sydney Heavies, Roger the dodger and a mother and her two young daughters raped and murdered to shut them up. The real deal as far as True crime stories go.

Western Australia. Will have to run with Gypsy Jokers car bomb murder of ex inspector and CIB chief Hancock and Lou Louis at present. but that could change in coming months . .... yes its the car bombing, domestic terrorism. retribution for a slain brother, massive panic. and anti bikie legislation by State Government, police special powers , letters of mercy , Reid deliberately discredits himself and his evidence mid trial allowing Slater to walk......and now Reid is out as well walking around . Having a beer and a joint and a quick nervous look over his shoulder occasionally no doubt......

They had a picnic

We were told it was a made up story although I never really believed it, I think something did happen to those girls at Hanging Rock. That prestigious old girls boarding school Clyde, the only one the story could have been written about had lots of very well kept secrets. Anything to avoid a scandal.

NSW - William Macdonald

His modus operandi was to select his male victims at random (mostly derelicts), lure them into a dark place, violently stab them dozens of times about the head and neck with a long bladed knife, and finally sever their penis and testicles. Would then take the balls and testicles of the victims home with him in a plastic bag.

Apparently several jurors fainted when he detailed the gruesome acts he did with them when he got home. Was given 5 consecutive life sentences.

He is also the the longest continuous serving inmate in the New South Wales prison system history

Hang on a sec.... What is this double dipping and having three or four stabs at it.? The thread Title clearly says each States most notorious crime, not crimes. Also you would have to nominate off both local and international interest , in which case a few of you bastards picks are way off the mark entirely.
Here let the Badger show you how it is done ,-with a few footnotes for the dopier amongst you.

Victoria- Has to be Kelly Gang /siege hostage taking/attempted police train derailment/ wild west style shootout/arson at Glenrowan Hotel. No argument will be entered into here- etched into the National consciousness,history books and International studies about Australian Colonial Life ,

Tasmania - Port Arthur Massacre. Hands down. Hate to even mention the Name of the weasel Bryant but the sick bastard takes the cake here . He should have been given the death penalty for the shooting of the mother and the two little kiddies alone.
Good news is speaking of cake. my mail is the good old boys in the Tasmanian prison officers Club made sure the grub got double serves of prison tucker and even smuggled in special rations of tim Tams and Mars bars to ensure he got as fat as a pig with all the resultant health problems and misery almost as soon as he was incarcerated .Good Work. hopefully take years off the pricks life.
Once again no argument here- the crime made national and international headlines, led to the strictest gun controls in the Western Free World being implemented, changing the rural way of life, and the much debated multi million dollar national gun buy back scheme .

Northern Territory, Child Murder charges and jailing of pastors wife Lindy for alleged murder of poor little Azaria "sacrifice to the gods' Chamberlain. Known all over the world this story had the lot,..... including a deadly dingo.

South Australia-has to be Beaumont Children. Looking very much like SA police cocked this up magnificently early on in the piece totally ignoring a wealthy man known in the area for giving pound notes to little kiddies. Lot of money back then. No such thing as a free lunch unfortunately.

New South Wales. Very Very Hard , numerous contenders . And the winner IS ........Milperra Fathers day Massacre in the Pub Carpark. Eight dead. Spread of international Gang Bandidos to Australia . Innocent 15 year old girl bystander shot dead. One gang President suicides in Jail. Got the lot . couldn't make the story up, internationally renowned.

ACT Winchester Murder. Top Cop gunned down in his Driveway, Eastman jailing/aquital saga, Calabrian Mafia payback theory...its a monster and still ongoing.

Queensland= Whisky Au Go Go Nightclub Fire... numerous punters roasted..Crooked coppers , protection rackets Sydney Heavies, Roger the dodger and a mother and her two young daughters raped and murdered to shut them up. The real deal as far as True crime stories go.

Western Australia. Will have to run with Gypsy Jokers car bomb murder of ex inspector and CIB chief Hancock and Lou Louis at present. but that could change in coming months . .... yes its the car bombing, domestic terrorism. retribution for a slain brother, massive panic. and anti bikie legislation by State Government, police special powers , letters of mercy , Reid deliberately discredits himself and his evidence mid trial allowing Slater to walk......and now Reid is out as well walking around . Having a beer and a joint and a quick nervous look over his shoulder occasionally no doubt......

WA I reckon I'd either go the Mickleberg brothers / Perth mint gold swindle, Greenough murders, the Birnies or the Claremont murders, even Jack Van Tongeren.

South Australia, I reckon bodies in the barrels has surpassed the Beaumont children.

Victoria I'd have either Hoddle St or Russell St (not much gets said about Queen St) even this latest one of running down people in Burke St.

SA - Pedophilia in the 80s-90s, the snowtown murders might be more individually gruesome but the reach and amount of pedophilia particularly prevalent at higher levels of society in Adelaide, as we're seeing similarly around the world, around this time period was/is highly disturbing. It's pretty clear there's still associated members monitoring the threads here related to the events linked to this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were told it was a made up story although I never really believed it, I think something did happen to those girls at Hanging Rock. That prestigious old girls boarding school Clyde, the only one the story could have been written about had lots of very well kept secrets. Anything to avoid a scandal.
Picnic at Hanging Rock is total fiction and not based on Clyde girls school which relocated from Melbourne to Macedon in 1919.

Picnic at Hanging Rock is total fiction and not based on Clyde girls school which relocated from Melbourne to Macedon in 1919.

I know the school well and a lot of the secrets that were passed down from generations of girls who boarded there. Some of them are written on the walls around the spiral staircase that leads to the tower where the third form dorm was. The entrance was closed off after an incident and a big pane of amber glass replaced the broken one, it doesn't match the original glass windows that wrap around the tower. It was said one of the girls jumped straight through it and over the balcony, just like the book.

It was almost a rite of passage to be shown where the entrance was and how to get in there to write on the walls, leave quietly and seal it back up again as if you were never there.

Of course the story is ambiguous enough and it's set in an earlier time but given Joan Lindsey went to Clyde, I think she drew on her history there and wrote it in the only way she could.

I know the school well and a lot of the secrets that were passed down from generations of girls who boarded there. Some of them are written on the walls around the spiral staircase that leads to the tower where the third form dorm was. The entrance was closed off after an incident and a big pane of amber glass replaced the broken one, it doesn't match the original glass windows that wrap around the tower. It was said one of the girls jumped straight through it and over the balcony, just like the book.

It was almost a rite of passage to be shown where the entrance was and how to get in there to write on the walls, leave quietly and seal it back up again as if you were never there.

Of course the story is ambiguous enough and it's set in an earlier time but given Joan Lindsey went to Clyde, I think she drew on her history there and wrote it in the only way she could.
My Mum taught Mathematics there in the early 70's so yes I know what you are saying about the stories.
We heard many then and that was before the film.
Joan Lindsey however didn't go to the Macedon Clyde though.
To quote wikipedia:" In 1909 at the age of thirteen, Lindsay was sent to a local boarding school, then called Carhue, to complete her education.[10] During Lindsay's time there the school went through a change in ownership and was renamed the Clyde Girls' Grammar School; she was a model student. The school was relocated to near Mount Macedon, five years after Joan's final year."

My Mum taught Mathematics there in the early 70's so yes I know what you are saying about the stories.
We heard many then and that was before the film.
Joan Lindsey however didn't go to the Macedon Clyde though.
To quote wikipedia:" In 1909 at the age of thirteen, Lindsay was sent to a local boarding school, then called Carhue, to complete her education.[10] During Lindsay's time there the school went through a change in ownership and was renamed the Clyde Girls' Grammar School; she was a model student. The school was relocated to near Mount Macedon, five years after Joan's final year."

I wonder if any of her kids went there? Did you go up there? The old buildings are beautiful.

It's really interesting.

From 'About Joan Lindsay'

The novel is historical fiction, though Lindsay dropped hints that it was based on an actual event, and is framed as such in the novel's introduction. An ending that explained the girls' fates, in draft form, was excised by her publisher prior to publication.The final chapter was published only in the 1980s, in accordance with her wishes. Lindsay based Appleyard College, the setting for the novel, on the school that she had attended, Clyde Girls Grammar School (Clyde School), at East St Kilda, Melbourne—which, incidentally, in 1919 was transferred to Woodend, Victoria, in the immediate vicinity of Hanging Rock itself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back