Each club's biggest rival/s

Remove this Banner Ad

This is just purely from my observation, anyone can feel free to correct me if they feel I am wrong. Three things I have noticed with the AFL rivalries are;
1) There are very few cases where two teams mutually agree they are each other's biggest rival.
2) Very few rivalries are based on geography.
3) Who fans consider their team's biggest rival is very dependent on their age as well.
All three of these are kind of unique to Australian rules.

Adelaide: Port Adelaide. The two South Australian teams easily have the biggest rivalry in the AFL, as anyone who has ever set foot in South Australia can attest to. If I am in Adelaide in Lions colours and we are versing Port I will get numerous random Crows fans who I have never met in my life wish me luck etc.

Brisbane Lions: Collingwood first, Port Adelaide second. Most Lions fans hate Collingwood the most but I know some hate Port more (I hate them both)! I was way too young when the merger happened but we had to hear from Collingwood fans (and Eddie McGuire) for a very long time about how our premierships were "illegitimate" and "unfair advantages", even though we beat them with two injured players at their home ground in 2002 and fielded a player with a punctured lung and a fourth game player in 2003 and beat them again at their home ground. They even had more total player payments in 2002 than we did. I also remember in 2004 after we lost to Port, Collingwood fans acting like their team just won the flag even though they didn't even get close to making finals. Pies also have the most amount of fans out of the non-Qld teams in Queensland so almost every Lions fan has to deal with a Collingwood fan after a loss. And also Fitzroy and Collingwood are neighbouring suburbs and it was actually the biggest rivalry in the old VFL before 1910. Then there is Port denied us four in a row, but I also know a lot of older Lions fans hate Port because they are the reason why we had to merge. Myself personally having been to an away game against every team in the comp, Port fans are easily the most feral by a country mile.

Carlton: Collingwood first, Essendon second. Almost every Carlton fan I know has those two teams on top of their hate list. Most have Collingwood as their most hated but I know a few who hate Essendon more.

Collingwood: Carlton first. Although I know a few Pies fans around my age or younger who consider them irrelevant these days, but almost every Collingwood fan I've met has them on top of their hate list. Also know a lot of Collingwood fans that still hate us over 2002 and 2003, and the ones over 70 actually still hate the Demons as well. Also a lot of hate for Essendon and Richmond from my observation.

Essendon: Carlton first, Hawthorn second, Collingwood distant third. Almost every Essendon fan I have met seems to have either Carlton or Hawthorn as their most hated team.

Fremantle: West Coast.

Geelong: Hawthorn. In my opinion Geelong v Hawthorn is the biggest AFL rivalry in Victoria at the moment. I also know their fans hated each other's clubs before 2008 as well.

Gold Coast: No idea. Seems like Suns fans most hated team is based on which club they supported before they came in. Would say they don't really have a rival.

GWS: Bulldogs. I know a GWS fan that actually hated the Dogs before the 2016 prelim final and was going on before prelim week that if they were versing any other team he would have just been happy to be in a prelim.

Hawthorn: I'll put Geelong and Essendon equal first, Sydney third and Melbourne a distant fourth. This one is interesting, I have found Hawthorn fans my age consider Geelong their biggest rival and the older ones consider Essendon to be their biggest rival but almost every Hawthorn fan I meet have those two teams as their two most hated then Sydney third. And I know Hawthorn fans still hate Melbourne over the whole merger attempt.

Melbourne: Collingwood. Understandable considering Collingwood stopped them winning 6-in-a-row back in their last golden era.

North Melbourne: Essendon. Every Roos fan I know hates Essendon with a passion, although Essendon fans outside BigFooty are indifferent about North. In my opinion the most one-sided rivalry in the league.

Port Adelaide: Adelaide. The two South Australian teams easily have the biggest rivalry in the AFL, as anyone who has ever set foot in South Australia can attest to. If I am in Adelaide in Lions colours and we are versing the Crows I will get numerous random Port fans who I have never met in my life wish me luck etc. I also know Port fans all have a soft spot for Richmond due to them beating the Crows in the 2017 Grand Final.

Richmond: Carlton first, Collingwood second. Still remember going to the Round 1 2018 game and talking to Richmond fans after the game going on about how good it feels to beat Carlton. They just won the flag and Carlton were a bottom four team the year before. Plus the numerous "We hate Carlton" scarves among their base.

St Kilda: It was South Melbourne before they relocated to Sydney but now it seems like they don't really have a rival. Know a few of them hated Fremantle when Ross Lyon was coaching them.

Sydney: Theirs seems to change every decade. Now it's Hawthorn, in the 2000's it was West Coast, in the 1990's it was North Melbourne and in their South Melbourne days it was St Kilda.

West Coast: Fremantle.

Western Bulldogs: GWS.

For Hawthorn I would say it's:

Essendon > 80s GFs, brawls, Kevin Sheedy accusing Hawks of taking drugs pre 84 GF, line in the sand game, Lloyd taking out Sewell, Sam Mitchell mock self injecting to Bombers players.
Pure hatred.

Gap...

Geelong > Finals clashes 89 (GF), 91, 00, 08 (GF), 11, 13, 14, 16. Matthews taking out Bruns, The Kennett curse, Hawkins goal after the siren, close games.
Hate but respect.

Bigger Gap..

Sydney > 12 and 14 GFs, Buddy defecting to the Swans, Josh Kennedy vs Tom Mitchell.
Hate smoothed over abit recently.

Gap...

North > 70s GFs, Finals in 94, 00, 07 all going North's way, Lake choking Petrie in 14, Hodge and Lewis taking out North players in 15, always seems to be abit of heat in matches.
Lingering, annoying, slight hate.

Carlton: Collingwood first, Essendon second. Almost every Carlton fan I know has those two teams on top of their hate list. Most have Collingwood as their most hated but I know a few who hate Essendon more.

Early 80's it would've been Pies and Tigers at one and two. Shuffled a bit after the Tigers went off the radar and the Donners came on. Now it's been Carlton's turn to disappear, but seems they inflicted enough pain over course to have the hate linger.

nah serious at the moment its the Pies. would've exploded if we met in the granny

Carlton being irrelevant has kind of killed that rivalry but it would come back if they pulled their finger out

its just another 4 points these days

Gold Coast's wannabe rival is obviously Brisbane. Although the Suns are North's bogey team (7 wins, 5 loses!).

Saints are probably Collingwood but most teams could claim a rivalry with Collingwood (West Coast, Port Adelaide, Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne etc).

North Melbourne: Essendon. Every Roos fan I know hates Essendon with a passion, although Essendon fans outside BigFooty are indifferent about North. In my opinion the most one-sided rivalry in the league.
Absolutely spot on.

As Ocha905 said above the Suns would probably consider Brisbane as their biggest rival. There's been a few QClashes that have ended up pretty close.

Although I think the Cats might be up there as well, I remember watching Gary Ablett's first game for Geelong against Gold Coast up at Metricon and they interviewed some Suns fans outside the ground who weren't exactly thrilled that Gaz came back to the Cats

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just purely from my observation, anyone can feel free to correct me if they feel I am wrong. Three things I have noticed with the AFL rivalries are;
1) There are very few cases where two teams mutually agree they are each other's biggest rival.
2) Very few rivalries are based on geography.
3) Who fans consider their team's biggest rival is very dependent on their age as well.
All three of these are kind of unique to Australian rules.

Adelaide: Port Adelaide. The two South Australian teams easily have the biggest rivalry in the AFL, as anyone who has ever set foot in South Australia can attest to. If I am in Adelaide in Lions colours and we are versing Port I will get numerous random Crows fans who I have never met in my life wish me luck etc.

Brisbane Lions: Collingwood first, Port Adelaide second. Most Lions fans hate Collingwood the most but I know some hate Port more (I hate them both)! I was way too young when the merger happened but we had to hear from Collingwood fans (and Eddie McGuire) for a very long time about how our premierships were "illegitimate" and "unfair advantages", even though we beat them with two injured players at their home ground in 2002 and fielded a player with a punctured lung and a fourth game player in 2003 and beat them again at their home ground. They even had more total player payments in 2002 than we did. I also remember in 2004 after we lost to Port, Collingwood fans acting like their team just won the flag even though they didn't even get close to making finals. Pies also have the most amount of fans out of the non-Qld teams in Queensland so almost every Lions fan has to deal with a Collingwood fan after a loss. And also Fitzroy and Collingwood are neighbouring suburbs and it was actually the biggest rivalry in the old VFL before 1910. Then there is Port denied us four in a row, but I also know a lot of older Lions fans hate Port because they are the reason why we had to merge. Myself personally having been to an away game against every team in the comp, Port fans are easily the most feral by a country mile.

Collingwood: Carlton first. Although I know a few Pies fans around my age or younger who consider them irrelevant these days, but almost every Collingwood fan I've met has them on top of their hate list. Also know a lot of Collingwood fans that still hate us over 2002 and 2003, and the ones over 70 actually still hate the Demons as well. Also a lot of hate for Essendon and Richmond from my observation.

Essendon: Carlton first, Hawthorn second, Collingwood distant third. Almost every Essendon fan I have met seems to have either Carlton or Hawthorn as their most hated team.

Fremantle: West Coast.

Geelong: Hawthorn. In my opinion Geelong v Hawthorn is the biggest AFL rivalry in Victoria at the moment. I also know their fans hated each other's clubs before 2008 as well.

Gold Coast: No idea. Seems like Suns fans most hated team is based on which club they supported before they came in. Would say they don't really have a rival.

GWS: Bulldogs. I know a GWS fan that actually hated the Dogs before the 2016 prelim final and was going on before prelim week that if they were versing any other team he would have just been happy to be in a prelim.

Hawthorn: I'll put Geelong and Essendon equal first, Sydney third and Melbourne a distant fourth. This one is interesting, I have found Hawthorn fans my age consider Geelong their biggest rival and the older ones consider Essendon to be their biggest rival but almost every Hawthorn fan I meet have those two teams as their two most hated then Sydney third. And I know Hawthorn fans still hate Melbourne over the whole merger attempt.

Melbourne: Collingwood. Understandable considering Collingwood stopped them winning 6-in-a-row back in their last golden era.

Port Adelaide: Adelaide. The two South Australian teams easily have the biggest rivalry in the AFL, as anyone who has ever set foot in South Australia can attest to. If I am in Adelaide in Lions colours and we are versing the Crows I will get numerous random Port fans who I have never met in my life wish me luck etc. I also know Port fans all have a soft spot for Richmond due to them beating the Crows in the 2017 Grand Final.

Richmond: Carlton first, Collingwood second. Still remember going to the Round 1 2018 game and talking to Richmond fans after the game going on about how good it feels to beat Carlton. They just won the flag and Carlton were a bottom four team the year before. Plus the numerous "We hate Carlton" scarves among their base.

St Kilda: It was South Melbourne before they relocated to Sydney but now it seems like they don't really have a rival. Know a few of them hated Fremantle when Ross Lyon was coaching them.

Sydney: Theirs seems to change every decade. Now it's Hawthorn, in the 2000's it was West Coast, in the 1990's it was North Melbourne and in their South Melbourne days it was St Kilda.

West Coast: Fremantle.

Western Bulldogs: GWS.
For GC fans, Geelong are right there with Brisbane for teams we'd love to beat I think.

For Geelong:

Hawthorn: It really can go right back to 1963 when we played off in the Grand Final, the Cats steaming away in the last quarter to win by 49 points. Then there's the Matthews-Bruns incident, the 89 GF and finals in 1991 and 2000. It really took off after the 2008 Grand Final with the Kennett Curse, and even since 2013 there's been some classic matches: Isaac Smith's miss, Danger kicking 5.6, Hawks by a point on Easter Monday. Huge rivalry and has been for a long time. I like playing Hawthorn on Easter Monday, it's a great chance for both teams to play in a marquee timeslot and it's usually a great match

Fremantle: Settled down in recent years, but from 2012-2014 our matches against Fremantle were nipping on the heels of the Geelong-Hawthorn rivalry. Started when Scarlett hit Ballantyne in Round 1 2012, was prevalent when we next played in the 2012 EF, then took off after the 2013 QF when we played average and the Dockers played out of their skins at KP. Last big match was Round 20 2014, when David Mundy missed after the siren. The Ballantyne/Crowley-Johnson duel was huge in that period

Collingwood: Not as high profile as Hawthorn is and Fremantle was, but Collingwood have long been a rival of the Cats (I'm pretty sure it's a one-sided rivalry though). It picked up around the same time as the Kennett Curse with a string of close matches and two of the best sides of the time playing off. The 2007 PF is the obvious big match between the two, but Round 9 2010, Round 19 2010, the 2010 PF and Round 8 2011 were hugely anticipated matches across the AFL community. The rivalry hit its peak with the 2011 GF, and then a few other moments since then have ensured the matches are still anticipated by Cats fans

One letter for you here fella "Q" , the "Q" Clash is easily the most anticipated rivalry based on the letter "Q".
No-one apart from people brainwashed by the AFL considers that a rivalry.

Gold Coast's wannabe rival is obviously Brisbane. Although the Suns are North's bogey team (7 wins, 5 loses!).

Saints are probably Collingwood but most teams could claim a rivalry with Collingwood (West Coast, Port Adelaide, Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne etc).
Never met a Sydney or Hawthorn fan that considers Collingwood a rival club.

One between the fans is Dogs and Dons. No actual rivalry but the fans for both teams hate the other. I know alot of Dons fans that only tolerate the Dogs cause I and other mates go for them and vice-versa. There is no rivalry between the clubs though. Haven't played each other in a final since 1953!

No-one apart from people brainwashed by the AFL considers that a rivalry.

Never met a Sydney or Hawthorn fan that considers Collingwood a rival club.
Sydney and Collingwoods are rivals.
Peaked in the 00s.
And with the exception of 06-08, would've been #1 (#2 those years behind West Coast)

If you lived through the 80's you'd say Essendon as a Hawks supporter.
For the rest of us the answer is absolutely Geelong by the length of Flemington.

If you lived through the 80's you'd say Essendon as a Hawks supporter.
For the rest of us the answer is absolutely Geelong by the length of Flemington.
I find Hawthorn the most interesting. Geelong is obviously the furtherest Victorian team away from Hawthorn or Waverley, and Essendon out of the Melbourne teams, and pretty much every Hawthorn fan has them top two. St Kilda (Moorabbin) and Richmond are the closest to Hawthorn/Waverley but never really been rivals.

Agree with the OP in most parts.

Obviously my observations are limited being in WA but from growing up in inner Melbourne & what I read on Bigfooty threads it would be.

Adelaide - Port Adelaide
Brisbane - Collingwood
Carlton - Collingwood, Essendon & Richmond (Probably these three would never end no matter where the blues are on the ladder)
Collingwood - Essendon, Richmond & Carlton (Blues third because of the irrelevance these days)
Essendon - Carlton, Collingwood & Hawthorn (Haven't noticed much hate for Hawks these days but the older generation did) Note: Most of my family in Melb are bomber fans & none of them consider North Melbourne as a rival lol)
Fremantle - West Coast & Geelong (I can assure you they hate the Cats just as much, most of my Freo work colleagues despise Geelong mainly because of Chris Scott. Johnson & Scarlett before him)
Geelong - Hawthorn, Richmond & Fremantle (Richmond is defiantly building, although my source is bigfooty. Fremantle dying off)
Gold Coast - Brisbane (One sided at this stage but will be impartial with better GC results)
GWS - Western Bulldogs
Hawthorn - Geelong & Essendon (Hawks despise Geelong, club & fans)
Melbourne - Haven't really noticed a clear standout but would say Collingwood (Although this is one sided). Demons are up there as everyone's second team.
North Melbourne - Essendon (As mentioned by OP & above would have to be the biggest one sided rivalry there is) Every North fan I know & what I read on Bigfooty despise the bombers.
Port Adelaide - Adelaide ......... daylight, Collingwood (Pies because of the history & Eddie McGuire)
Richmond - Collingwood, Geelong & Carlton (I put Geelong ahead of Carlton because I have noticed (relying on Bigfooty) it is building at a fast rate, mainly due to Chris Scott. Once blues start wining again it will defiantly flip)
St.Kilda - Similar to Melbourne, haven't noticed a clear standout but would say Western Bulldogs & Fremantle (Haven't noticed much with Collingwood but could be wrong)
Sydney - Hawthorn (Seems to be a mutual respect with GWS which seems odd)
West Coast - In Perth its Fremantle (Although with Freo it's pretty one sided these days) On Big Footy it's any Victorian team, mainly targeting Richmond & Collingwood.
Western Bulldogs - GWS & St.Kilda .......daylight North Melb (Saints was number one prior to GWS existence)

Last edited:
I find Hawthorn the most interesting. Geelong is obviously the furtherest Victorian team away from Hawthorn or Waverley, and Essendon out of the Melbourne teams, and pretty much every Hawthorn fan has them top two. St Kilda (Moorabbin) and Richmond are the closest to Hawthorn/Waverley but never really been rivals.
Richmond & Hawthorn have always had a mutual respect for each other. I for one would always support Hawks against any other besides probably Melbourne Demons & Fremantle.

We had two very good finals in 89 and 91, but it wasn't nearly the same as what it was from the middle of 2008-onwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back