Each club's biggest rival/s

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you serious!?

Imagine the Hawks v Essendon rivalry actually being with your neighbour

Then throw in the Hawks captain and hero had asked to be traded to Essendon

Then throw in 5 GFs in a 10year period instead of just 3.

And following that there have been many more famous clashes, big finals, and instances touched on in the article.

Which boiled over when the two clubs basically were more interested in trying to sending each other to the wall in the 80s.

That took Richmond 30 years to recover from.

Richmond Collingwood may be the biggest historical rivalry.

1900s - both neighbours, established 7 years apart.

20s - Dan Minogue leaves Collingwood for Richmond and wins Richmond's first maiden title agaisnt Collingwood.

1930s - Collingwoods four peat, 3 against Richmond, Richmond win 1932, 1934, 1943. In the midst of the Great Depression, Jack Dyer the hero of Richmond. Jock McCale and Coventry for Collingwood.

1940s-1990s - Richards and Dyer usher in the golden age of television by pioneering footy shows, the rivalry? Richmond and Collingwood

1960s - 1980 - Tigers dismantle the pies in final after final culminating in the grand final of 1980. Collingwood hire Richmond's greatest coach Tom Hafey.

1980s - Recruitment wars where both clubs almost crippled each other. Tigers coming off second best.

2000s - Preliminary Final 18', Adam Treloar, Tigers ascending to the top during Collingwoods peak and winning premierships whilst both clubs have the highest members and attendances.

Yeah look.. fair rivalry.

Going by a few Tiger fans on here and their obsession with the Cats. ATM I would have to say Richmond's biggest rivals are Geelong.
Nah mate, 3rd in line at best.

Pies by panels
Blues
Then you and Essendon about the same.

The strength of the rivalry between Carlton and Collingwood can be seen in the fact that this matchup is still averaging just under 70k per game this century despite:
  • Not playing a final against each other since 1988
  • Only making finals at the same time in 5 seasons since then
  • Both teams having their literal worst ever eras during this time
  • No special event games or public holidays (exception being Collingwood's flag raising in 2011)

For context:
  • Essendon/Carlton averages about 10k less over the same period
  • Richmond/Carlton averages 6k less despite season openers
  • Collingwood/Richmond averages 4k less
  • Essendon/Richmond averages 6k less despite Dreamtime fixture
  • Collingwood/Essendon the only matchup in the league with a higher average. 7k more with the advantage of ANZAC Day.

Yeah but the rivalry has been diluted a bit by a shared hatred of Essendon.

It's sometimes brought fans of both sides together.

Fremantle isn't West Coasts biggest rival. Derbys havent been firey for years and are really just like any other game there days. The players of both sides are even mates for the most part and golf together. Well...maybe not Gaffy and Brayshaw.

We dont really have one that is eternal. It used to be the Swans and is still there to an extent, we still have trouble beating them home or away. we've had some with Essendon with the scarf waving. Geelong in the early 90s. And right now, one look at BF says its Richmond. We swing with the seasons.

With the containment of aggression in footy and social media and the openness to move teams now, I fear rivals are dieing a little in footy no matter who you are. Say what you will about traditional Vic rivals, but the real hatred between players is almost non existent these days. They are all mates too. The new generation of fans dont really "hate" each other either.

It's all quite vanilla now. But I guess that's progress? Maybe? We've moved away from the British view on sports with grass roots and working class allegiances to the American way. Theres almost no real passionate rivalries in American sports these days. Lakers players couldn't care less about playing the Clippers or the Celtics.
The draft ruins it a lot, from what I have heard a fair few of our drafted players have been brainwashed into thinking the Suns are our biggest rival, when a true Lions person wants to win against Collingwood and Port more than any other.

Imagine a showdown if the Crows and Port players were all South Australian.

Yeah but the rivalry has been diluted a bit by a shared hatred of Essendon.

It's sometimes brought fans of both sides together.
Pies don’t really have that big a rivalry with Essendon.

It is either geographic rivalries or regularly competing in finals that creates big rivalries.

Carl v Rich, Coll v Melb, Coll v Carl, Coll v Lions, Coll v Rich, Carl v Ess these are the combinations who have had the most finals clashes.

But the one combination who has played the most finals is a actually Coll v Geel.

Back in the 30s many GFs between Pies v Geelong

Early 50s it was again Pies v Geelong in the GFs

Early 80s again some big finals.

Then there was all of the big finals in 07-11 between Pies v Geelong.

But always taken a bit of a back seat behind Collingwood’s closer geographic rivals in Fitzroy, Richmond, Melbourne and Carlton.

The draft ruins it a lot, from what I have heard a fair few of our drafted players have been brainwashed into thinking the Suns are our biggest rival, when a true Lions person wants to win against Collingwood and Port more than any other.

I feel the Lions Port rivalry is a bit lopsided. We had a great on field rivalry in the early 2000s and probably should have played off in at least 1 more GF, but most Port supporters respect the Lions and don't hate them. Our * ups or choking during that era were mostly self inflicted and we don't really feel any ill will towards Brisbane. Adelaide on the other hand.....

Did Geelong and Carlton develop much of a rivalry after the Milburn Silvagni incident? What happened there?

No rivalry really developed.

If I recall, Carlton fans just hated Milburn for a bit, understandably so.

As a neutral I like Milburn a lot (Silvagni too) but it was a disgraceful hit, no question.

I feel the Lions Port rivalry is a bit lopsided. We had a great on field rivalry in the early 2000s and probably should have played off in at least 1 more GF, but most Port supporters respect the Lions and don't hate them. Our fu** ups or choking during that era were mostly self inflicted and we don't really feel any ill will towards Brisbane. Adelaide on the other hand.....
I see Collingwood as our biggest rival and Port second. Older Lions fans hate Port not because of 2004, but because your club was the reason why we had to merge in the first place. For fans my age 2004 will always be up there as my worst childhood sporting memory.

For me I was starting to get over that hatred then I did my first away game against Port a few years ago and the feral behaviour of Port fans has re-ignited that hatred for me.

Lions fans who aren't old enough to remember 2004 and have never stepped foot in SA will never quite understand it.

Don't know that there is that much feeling with Cats v Hawks anymore. A bit of begrudging respect perhaps but not hate in the way some other Victorian clubs despise each other.

Don't have really strong feelings about any club from a Cats perspective. Richmond posters on Bigfooty are pathetic but Richmond the club I am not sure we have a real beef with considering we smashed them for a decade or more - it is good to see them coming back on us.
That’s interesting, I know on the Hawks side it’s still very strong. It would be interesting to map out these one-sided rivalries. North Melbourne fans seem to really hate Hawthorn (probably due to bullying them eg. Lake strangling Petrie, Hodge decking Swallow and Lewis clotheslining Goldstein), but I don’t think many Hawks fans feel the same way.

Have BL ever lost to the suns?

It will probably be like the GWS-Swans thing, you really can’t hate the wooden spooners too much. I even kind of cheered on Carlton for a while there, but now that they’ve risen above 17th place their ‘chosen club’ complex is once again insufferable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s interesting, I know on the Hawks side it’s still very strong. It would be interesting to map out these one-sided rivalries. North Melbourne fans seem to really hate Hawthorn (probably due to bullying them eg. Lake strangling Petrie, Hodge decking Swallow and Lewis clotheslining Goldstein), but I don’t think many Hawks fans feel the same way.

I think it is strong in that you really enjoying beating us, but I don't see it the same as say Hawthorn and Essendon.

Have BL ever lost to the suns?

It will probably be like the GWS-Swans thing, you really can’t hate the wooden spooners too much. I even kind of cheered on Carlton for a while there, but now that they’ve risen above 17th place their ‘chosen club’ complex is once again insufferable.
They have beaten us 6 times including twice in 2015 and they won the inaugural Q clash.

I still hated Port Adelaide even when they were completely s**t between 2010-2012. I still remember being pissed off when they got off the bottom of the ladder on the final day of the regular season in 2011. At the time I thought Collingwood were certanities to go back-to-back and I thought a Port spoon would be the only thing I would get to celebrate that year. I also remember enjoying Port losing to both GC and GWS in their first seasons.

We've been hating Collingwood and Port Adelaide well before Demetriou thought about putting a team on the Gold Coast. It might change if the Suns give us a genuine reason to hate them but any Lions fan old enough to remember the early to mid 2000's will always hate Collingwood and Port way way more.

The Essendon-Collingwood is an interesting one these days, ANZAC Day has cultivated more of a mutual respect rivalry with little ill feeling behind it.

For Essendon, the hatred for Carlton and Hawthorn far eclipses any other prospect.
Oh was it respect you were showing Pendlebury when he was trying to speak last year?

Collingwood - Essendon
Richmond - Geelong
I don’t really know any Collingwood supporter that cares much about Essendon. They’re in the class of Melbourne, Geelong, Sydney and St Kilda in terms of rivalry for us I feel.

Don’t feel the league has many strong rivalries at the moment.

West Coast and Sydney 2005-06 was good.

Geelong and Hawthorn has been the best in the league since 2008.

The old Victorian rivalries have fizzled out since the clubs have moved from their traditional bases and haven’t had regular finals or been at the top of the ladder together for a long time now.

Are you serious!?

Imagine the Hawks v Essendon rivalry actually being with your neighbour

Then throw in the Hawks captain and hero had asked to be traded to Essendon

Then throw in 5 GFs in a 10year period instead of just 3.

And following that there have been many more famous clashes, big finals, and instances touched on in the article.

Which boiled over when the two clubs basically were more interested in trying to sending each other to the wall in the 80s.

That took Richmond 30 years to recover from.
Thanks for educating me - not sure how I missed so much of that. I suppose it's not a history that's raised as often as other rivalries but that's probably because there hasn't been any big clashes for such a long time for it to be brought up again (until 2018 at least).

How would you rate it in comparison to your rivalry with Carlton?

That’s great we’re still besties
You stick to your rivalry with little Hawthorn and we’ll focus on the other big Vic clubs 👍

Ha ha...what a funny thing to be condescending about. "Yeah, you be ashamed of a having a rivalry with another club based on the fact that both teams are regularly playing big finals and competing for premierships". How shameful. ....Meanwhile, my own superior rivalries have mostly constituted "which club is the biggest laughing stock" for the past few decades (with apologies to Collingwood - the only member of the 4 that don't fit the bill).

I don’t really know any Collingwood supporter that cares much about Essendon. They’re in the class of Melbourne, Geelong, Sydney and St Kilda in terms of rivalry for us I feel.
Same bitch

One between the fans is Dogs and Dons. No actual rivalry but the fans for both teams hate the other. I know alot of Dons fans that only tolerate the Dogs cause I and other mates go for them and vice-versa. There is no rivalry between the clubs though. Haven't played each other in a final since 1953!
Lol what

Ha ha...what a funny thing to be condescending about. "Yeah, you be ashamed of a having a rivalry with another club based on the fact that both teams are regularly playing big finals and competing for premierships". How shameful. ....Meanwhile, my own superior rivalries have mostly constituted "which club is the biggest laughing stock" for the past few decades (with apologies to Collingwood - the only member of the 4 that don't fit the bill).
Don't address me minnow. You stick to shitfighting with little Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back