dogman

Team Captain
Oct 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
Do you think this is an issue ? With the uncertainty of Rockets future likely to drag on - do you think this will have an affect on our abilty to re-sign players - Cal Ward etc ?

uncertainty in the workplace is never a good thing.Its happened before, so yeah i think it is an issue.Re-sign him sooner rather than later,with a clear direction towards development as soon as/if finals are not an option.Obviously if we start playing with passion and heart and winning, it willbe much less an issue.

I am coming around to giving him another 2 years more and more.

I am coming around to giving him another 2 years more and more.

Me too. It would be a massive sign of solidarity.
We know he is a great coach and he has taken us from our knees during '*' Rohde to become an exciting contender.
The media would absolutely hate it. It would also give him focus on the job at hand, he wouldn't be badgered at every press conference.
I say sign him NOW - 2 years minimum.

Funnily enough - after an angry 2-3 days I have calmed down and like some of you, warmed to the idea of resigning Rocket for 2 more years. It'll give us stability and as RWB said, solidarity. Re-sign him and tell him to develop the youngsters (we're already doing this).

Funnily enough - after an angry 2-3 days I have calmed down and like some of you, warmed to the idea of resigning Rocket for 2 more years. It'll give us stability and as RWB said, solidarity. Resign him and tell him to develop the youngsters (we're already doing this).

Why re-sign now? why not wait until the end of the season?. Do you know for certain Eade's message and instructions are still getting through to the playing group? a new coach with fresh idea's could be what we need, unless you know the prospective coach pool is shallow and of overall low quality, signing up Rocket for 2 more years can be disastrous.

Until we fully understand what causes the problems then we should not sign Eade for another contract. What happens if the players and Eade have lost faith in each other and he can no longer get his meassage across and motivate the palyers?

No way Eade would have lost faith in the players... he sticks with the same ones all the time! If we were to be serious about this, he should get an extension, and ween out old players who don't contribute. People forget we came so close with him in charge, I think he can take us back up the ladder.

No way Eade would have lost faith in the players... he sticks with the same ones all the time! If we were to be serious about this, he should get an extension, and ween out old players who don't contribute. People forget we came so close with him in charge, I think he can take us back up the ladder.

I'm more worried about the players losing faith and confidence in Eade. We need to ensure he is not a major part of the problem before discussing any contract extension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think this is an issue ? With the uncertainty of Rockets future likely to drag on - do you think this will have an affect on our abilty to re-sign players - Cal Ward etc ?

Eade doesn't get involved in contract negotiations, Fantasia is head of the Football Department and handles all contracts, recruitment and general player welfare.

My problem with Eade is I think he is to close to the players now. He has lost his objectivity. His selections are baffling at times with the older players. I don't mind showing some faith in a player but selecting players like Higgins straight back into the side after a month off shows a weakness in his character to make the hard calls. He could not even move Mitch Hanh on. Maybe he is not strong enough to be the head coach anymore.

Happy to keep Eade at the Club maybe as a Director of the Footy department but I just don't think he is the right man for the job anymore. In saying that I do think he stays until the end of the year while we endevour to look for a new man.

He's been seven seasons at the end of the current season. And in that time we'll probably end up having two down years. The bloke can clearly coach and I like the way he has continued to keep the list ticking over. I say sign him for three years and move on the cattle that doesn't wanna work. If we get rid of the coach, we keep the bludgers. I'm tired of the coach being the scapegoat.

He's been seven seasons at the end of the current season. And in that time we'll probably end up having two down years. The bloke can clearly coach and I like the way he has continued to keep the list ticking over. I say sign him for three years and move on the cattle that doesn't wanna work. If we get rid of the coach, we keep the bludgers. I'm tired of the coach being the scapegoat.

We first have to work out where the problem lies. I have been an Eade supporter but the performance of the players gives me some cause for doubt. I posted after the collingwood defeat last year that we did not run hard enough and our work ethic was poor. I still feel the same and am disappointed Eade cannot seem to get the players to change or does not seem to think a solution might be to drop lazy players and promote harder working ones. Alternatively it might just be that our game plan is poor. Either way it is the coach who is at fault imo. If there is some other reason that does not rest with Eade then ok re-sign him but we need to be sure of the problem first.

We first have to work out where the problem lies. I have been an Eade supporter but the performance of the players gives me some cause for doubt. I posted after the collingwood defeat last year that we did not run hard enough and our work ethic was poor. I still feel the same and am disappointed Eade cannot seem to get the players to change or does not seem to think a solution might be to drop lazy players and promote harder working ones. Alternatively it might just be that our game plan is poor. Either way it is the coach who is at fault imo. If there is some other reason that does not rest with Eade then ok re-sign him but we need to be sure of the problem first.

Regardless of game plan or the cattle out there Eade is no longer getting the best out of these players. Simply put his message is falling on deaf ears. This is what happens when you play favorites and do not constantly challenge the players.

Regardless of game plan or the cattle out there Eade is no longer getting the best out of these players. Simply put his message is falling on deaf ears. This is what happens when you play favorites and do not constantly challenge the players.

What about Malthouse after they made 2 GF's, they finished 14th and 15th or something the years after. They stuck with him to tweak the list. You could be confusing this 'falling on deaf ears' for some players being past it now. Changes are being made now, after 3 prelims mind you.

What about Malthouse after they made 2 GF's, they finished 14th and 15th or something the years after. They stuck with him to tweak the list.
Yes but that was probably part of a longer term plan (unlike our bottoming out under Rohde).

After being in the finals for several years they dropped to 13th in 2004 and then 15th with only 5 wins and a priority pick in 2005. They realised they needed to tweak the list, as you say, so they blooded nine new players in 2005 then picked up Daisy Thomas (pick 2) and Scott Pendlebury (5) in the draft.

In 2006 they were back in the finals and the rest is history.

We find ourselves in a similar position this year, but it was unexpected by the club. And unfortunately if we finish 2nd last with five wins all we'll get is pick 6 and then something in the 20s.

We're lucky we at least have some prospects coming through from earlier drafts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back