• No

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If we finish 4th and lose in wk 1 of finals, we are still alive in Wk 2.

If we finish 5th we have to win in wk 1 or else we are out

From 4th we are 3 wins from the flag

From 5th we are 4 wins from the flag

It isn't hard to understand

Wtf are you on about here and why did you quote me for your ramble?

oh dear. I am dealing with a Muppet. Go get another Beer.

oh dear. I am dealing with a Muppet. Go get another Beer.

You might want to reread our little interaction, only one of us is looking like a muppet

For clarity...YOU quoted MY post that was simply talking about how finishing 4th is better than finishing 5th. That's all I said.

Your little rant afterwards has nothing to do with my post and made very little sense. I have no idea why you are quoting me

As if anyone wants to finish 5th instead of 4th.

Double chance etc.

Yall 5th folk are crazy

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I prefer 1st or 2nd for Eagles as the best available path to reach GF. every other position is equally tough for eagles,3rd, 4th 5th all in same boat. You can disagree, it's fine.

You might want to reread our little interaction, only one of us is looking like a muppet

For clarity...YOU quoted MY post that was simply talking about how finishing 4th is better than finishing 5th. That's all I said.

Your little rant afterwards has nothing to do with my post and made very little sense. I have no idea why you are quoting me
finishing 4th is not necessarily better than 5th for Eagles is what I am saying as odd as it may sound. Just try to get out of your fixed mind set for one minute. Only 1st or 2nd for Eagles works well for us. Any other position does not provide us with any specific advantage.Double chance (3rd or 4th)will at most get us to prelim away which is nothing different in playing 5th getting to PM. In both scenarios we play 2 games to get there. 5th gets there with EF + SF, 4th gets there with losing QF + SF. same same mate. It will be a massive upset if we finish 4th and beat 1st team away in their turf. so saying that, knowing 4th almost always loses first week, how on ******* earth is 4th better than 5th in this case?? :)

There is also a very slim chance that we win and both tigers and Cats lose their final game. we end up 3rd. lol that scenario is mathematically still possible.

finishing 4th is not necessarily better than 5th for Eagles is what I am saying as odd as it may sound. Just try to get out of your fixed mind set for one minute. Only 1st or 2nd for Eagles works well for us. Any other position does not provide us with any specific advantage.Double chance (3rd or 4th)will at most get us to prelim away which is nothing different in playing 5th getting to PM. In both scenarios we play 2 games to get there. 5th gets there with EF + SF, 4th gets there with losing QF + SF. same same mate. It will be a massive upset if we finish 4th and beat 1st team away in their turf. so saying that, knowing 4th almost always loses first week, how on ******* earth is 4th better than 5th in this case?? :)

4th give you the "opportunity" to win and go straight to the prelim?
5th you must win 2 games to get to a prelim.
pretty clear I would have thought.

I understand the argument that losing a QF puts us in a worse position than if we won an EF, because we have the home game to start us off in the latter scenario. The home crowd would give us a boost going into a semi-final.

However, that viewpoint considers only one possibility - losing the QF

If we were to finish top-4 and win the QF, we play 1 less game and earn a rest. With so many players returning from soft tissue injuries, it'd be desperately needed for us to recover and push deep. If we played Port at Adelaide Oval, I'd give us a fighting chance.

And what if we lost our EF? One might say we didn't deserve a flag in that nightmarish outcome, but we'd never know if the team could've turned it around the following week, because we didn't have the double chance.

“I think we’d take the double chance if we could, no argument there. We’re more than happy to come over here (east) if we get a double chance.” - Simpson

Last edited:
You mean Brad Hardie was wrong?

wrong
[ rawng, rong ]

adjective
1. not in accordance with what is morally right or good.

2. deviating from truth or fact; erroneous:
a wrong answer.

3. not correct in action, judgment, opinion, method, etc., as a person; in error.

4. out of order; awry; amiss.

5. Brad Hardie.

I understand the argument that losing a QF puts us in a worse position than if we won an EF, because we have the home game to start us off in the latter scenario. The home crowd would give us a boost going into a semi-final.

However, that viewpoint considers only one possibility - losing the QF

If we were to finish top-4 and win the QF, we play 1 less game and earn a rest. With so many players returning from soft tissue injuries, it'd be desperately needed for us to recover and push deep. If we played Port at Adelaide Oval, I'd give us a fighting chance.

And what if we lost our EF? One might say we didn't deserve a flag in that nightmarish outcome, but we'd never know if the team could've turned it around the following week, because we didn't have the double chance.

“I think we’d take the double chance if we could, no argument there. We’re more than happy to come over here (east) if we get a double chance.” - Simpson
Yep, the 2006 team lost wk 1 and played 3 great finals following it.

Do you think that perhaps players like shuey, redden, yeo (if he gets up) may benefit from an ‘easier’ final first up and may benefit from more matches rather than going in to a PF off one game in 6-7 weeks?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think that perhaps players like shuey, redden, yeo (if he gets up) may benefit from an ‘easier’ final first up and may benefit from more matches rather than going in to a PF off one game in 6-7 weeks?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would you rather go into a do or die final with underdone players, or one with a 2nd chance for the loser?

Have you not followed WCE for very long? Look up our history playing Port Adelaide (I think they are a lock for 1st) on their 'turf'. Playing Port at AO to get into a prelim would be a dream.
Likewise, Brisbane look to be a flakey finals opponent and we do play the GABBA well. I would back us there in week 1 too.
Ill take 4th thanks.

Have you not followed WCE for very long? Look up our history playing Port Adelaide (I think they are a lock for 1st) on their 'turf'. Playing Port at AO to get into a prelim would be a dream.
Likewise, Brisbane look to be a flakey finals opponent and we do play the GABBA well. I would back us there in week 1 too.
Ill take 4th thanks.
I'm not confident about playing anyone at the Gabba. Hell, even North are a chance against us there :p

Would you rather go into a do or die final with underdone players, or one with a 2nd chance for the loser?
I'd take 4th in a heartbeat. Anyone suggesting we're better off finishing 5th is crazy.

I think it is fair to say 4>5 in any year. I'm pretty sure everyone on this board is barracking for Adelaide come Sunday for that reason.

People are just pointing out there is a risk of players going in to a PF lacking match fitness, and an easier final first up isn't a bad lead in.

There are some silver linings in finishing 5th.

Are you honestly saying that having to win 1 game to get to the second most important game of the AFL season (preliminary final) isn't better than having to win 2?

You are overlaying your belief that we wouldn't beat port but will beat the pie, dogs, dees at home. Which is really what you should be saying.

It goes with out saying 4th is better than 5th. But reading you post above you would prefer 5th because you like the match ups better etc not because there is no difference.

Because if we finish fourth we could well have the opportunity to derail ports season yet again. Oh the melts.

the stats showing 4th team losing 80% of the time in first week of finals does not support your argument regarding "opportunity". If that number was more like 40-50 percent, then I'd understand, since it is only 20% then your statement falls short IMO.

Ill take 4th thanks.

Mate of course I would take 4th over 5th, that is not the argument here. All I am saying is if we end up 5th its not end of the world specially since we get home final and almost always 4th get to lose first week.

Are you honestly saying that having to win 1 game to get to the second most important game of the AFL season (preliminary final) isn't better than having to win 2?

You are overlaying your belief that we wouldn't beat port but will beat the pie, dogs, dees at home. Which is really what you should be saying.

It goes with out saying 4th is better than 5th. But reading you post above you would prefer 5th because you like the match ups better etc not because there is no difference.

Having the opportunity of playing one less game towards GF is very different to execution. When it comes to execution, more often than not 4th team end up losing their first game and with it that opportunity. If I had a wish-list I would never compare 5th to 4th, I would compare 5th to 1st or 2nd due to home court advantage which is when opportunity becomes more realistic since we play better at home.For that reason alone, 5th and 4th to me are very similar unless we end up 4th and beat 1st team which is great.

Back