• No

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The good news is we've got enough games at home where we should hit any hub in a good position.

Find it hard to believe we'll get sent for 5 weeks in QLD when it isn't totally necessary, even just looking at financial issues.

The AFL aren't out to get us. That kind of thinking is overly paranoid.
Of course the AFL aren't out to "get" us, it's just that a lot of the decisions that they make are based on what is more convenient for the clubs that are based in Victoria. It makes a bit of sense because the majority of clubs operate out of there, but as someone who has supported the eagles since day one and have seen us shafted so many times it does make me somewhat paranoid. A couple of simple examples as to their mindset in relation to how they administer the competition is still by referring to clubs based outside of Victoria as "interstate" clubs and the coaches dinner at Gil's house which soley revolves around Victirian based clubs.

The good news is we've got enough games at home where we should hit any hub in a good position.

Find it hard to believe we'll get sent for 5 weeks in QLD when it isn't totally necessary, even just looking at financial issues.
I had a think about this. The $$$ don't really come into the occasion for the AFL with Optus crowds because a lot of the 25000 they are getting to Eagles and Dockers games are already members, and these people have either already pledged these funds for next year or it's coming off a future credit (again not the AFL's problem). So the crowds actually don't provide a lot of incentive to the AFL, other than for neutral games. And for those, the quarantining seems to have been put in the "too hard" basket.

The counter point to this though, is there is no reason not to keep sending teams through WA where at least two of the teams will be living at home meaning 100 odd less people in hotel accommodation.

I had a think about this. The $$$ don't really come into the occasion for the AFL with Optus crowds because a lot of the 25000 they are getting to Eagles and Dockers games are already members, and these people have either already pledged these funds for next year or it's coming off a future credit (again not the AFL's problem). So the crowds actually don't provide a lot of incentive to the AFL, other than for neutral games. And for those, the quarantining seems to have been put in the "too hard" basket.

The counter point to this though, is there is no reason not to keep sending teams through WA where at least two of the teams will be living at home meaning 100 odd less people in hotel accommodation.

There are no combinations left that would allow for teams to play each other in quarantine.

By time we play the Giants we would have played 8 home games, which will probably be our allocated number of home games for this year.

We should hope that we get majority of games during the day, and hope we play North in round 14 before the Tassie border opens, and hopefully the AFL is working on a resolution for any West Coast home finals to be played at Optus.

There are no combinations left that would allow for teams to play each other in quarantine.

By time we play the Giants we would have played 8 home games, which will probably be our allocated number of home games for this year.

We should hope that we get majority of games during the day, and hope we play North in round 14 before the Tassie border opens, and hopefully the AFL is working on a resolution for any West Coast home finals to be played at Optus.

Thats not going to happen while the quarantine period is still in place.. why Mcgowan wont budge for fifo teams who have been tested within an inch of there lives makes his stand totally political.. best bit is I will see more live eagles games and finals this year in Queensland since when I was living in Perth.And wont have to shell out big time for a gf ticket if we make it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Oh for sure, the money aspect was simply not having us and Freo spending more time in afl paid accommodation. Has to be fairly significant at this point. Add in we're way less likely to breach any rules when in WA rather than the hubs, we might actually benefit from Mrs Cotchins actions.

What about the unplayed Bombers v Demons game? That could be played in quarantine in WA. But it would have to be while the Sydney teams are here occupying the WA sides, so the quarantine bubble is maintained (ie we can't fly in a week after those teams and then play them as we won't have completed our quarantine period by the time they've finished theirs).

The obvious problem with this is the Bombers are headlining a big game against the Tigers. No other clubs are fixtured in Perth on R13 so it's safe to assume from R14 onwards we're on the plane, and could only reasonably expect to play at home again if that unplayed game from earlier in the year is tied into Perth.

There should be a priority to keep those at home who can be at home (WA, SA, Qld), with Qld being the main exception to that as they've basically been home all season long. But with the Melbourne teams all facing off early it's difficult to fixture any more games out of WA without more byes.

What about the unplayed Bombers v Demons game? That could be played in quarantine in WA. But it would have to be while the Sydney teams are here occupying the WA sides, so the quarantine bubble is maintained (ie we can't fly in a week after those teams and then play them as we won't have completed our quarantine period by the time they've finished theirs).

The obvious problem with this is the Bombers are headlining a big game against the Tigers. No other clubs are fixtured in Perth on R13 so it's safe to assume from R14 onwards we're on the plane, and could only reasonably expect to play at home again if that unplayed game from earlier in the year is tied into Perth.

There should be a priority to keep those at home who can be at home (WA, SA, Qld), with Qld being the main exception to that as they've basically been home all season long. But with the Melbourne teams all facing off early it's difficult to fixture any more games out of WA without more byes.

You answered your own question.

That ship has sailed. We have played 8 home games. There is no way that we could go to QLD and then come home for one game to make it 9 with border controls in place as they are now.

Round 14-18 will be played in QLD.

What then happens if we are due to host a home final will be interesting.

Man Gold Coast got completely BBQ'ed by the R13 fixture

Monday: Vs Tigers in Qld (last game of the festival)
Friday: home game vs Carlton in Darwin (first game of R13)

I personally think there is some chance of getting another game or two here (assuming byes for other teams in rounds after playing Friday/Saturday allows them to play 15 days later on Sunday/Monday) but I am not overly fussed if it doesn't happen. The whole season is a freeroll of sorts anyway given the absolute shitshow this whole year has been outside of footy.

In hindsight, we probably didn't want to have a bye in the festival to allow later flexibility, but it is what it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the GWS game, we’ve then had 7 games at home, one being an away derby, and 5 away games. Surely we get at least 2 more home games out of the remaining 5??

+2 home games in QLD will take us up to 8 home games, and that would be it for the year I would think.

After the GWS game, we’ve then had 7 games at home, one being an away derby, and 5 away games. Surely we get at least 2 more home games out of the remaining 5??

You’d think so, but two of our games in Queensland were classed as home games. So now we’ve got to make up some away games, even though we haven’t had half our games at home, and there’s nothing preventing us from playing here.

Its disappointing they are counting the freo derby as a home game for us.

They aren't counting it as a home game for us.

It was always going to be the case that 9 teams received 8 games while the other 9 received 9 home games.

It would appear that they are only giving us 8 home games.

And that is totally fine.

I guess it comes down to the teams coming over here, being able to play each other. Pretty sure the only 2 teams of our remaining opponents, that haven’t already played each other, is Essendon StKikda. They play each other the same round we play Hawks. Both teams have already played Freo though, so they can’t come here together. I guess that pretty much rules out any more games in Perth for us for the regular season.

I don't think all of our remaining games will be all away. I think maybe 3 or so of them will be in QLD, with the remaining 1 or 2 in WA

Problem is, anyone coming here needs to either have a bye (could still happen) or play each other (can’t happen because all our remaining opponents will have already played each other by the time round 13 is complete) so maybe we head off for 3 weeks, and come home for the last 2, with a few teams heading back to WA the week before us, having a bye, and then playing us and Freo. Would have to be Richmond (unlikely) dogs or North, as they’re the only teams that haven’t played either us or Freo.

Problem is, anyone coming here needs to either have a bye (could still happen) or play each other (can’t happen because all our remaining opponents will have already played each other by the time round 13 is complete) so maybe we head off for 3 weeks, and come home for the last 2, with a few teams heading back to WA the week before us, having a bye, and then playing us and Freo. Would have to be Richmond (unlikely) dogs or North, as they’re the only teams that haven’t played either us or Freo.

Book in Dogs and North, then. I reckon that's feasible that we play a condensed block and those teams come to WA on a bye week to quarantine before playing two rounds in Perth. The article sounded like there may be a few days rest period after this condensed block before going back to normal, almost a competition wide semi-bye. Could buy the few days extra we need to get some teams into the state.

Book in Dogs and North, then. I reckon that's feasible that we play a condensed block and those teams come to WA on a bye week to quarantine before playing two rounds in Perth. The article sounded like there may be a few days rest period after this condensed block before going back to normal, almost a competition wide semi-bye. Could buy the few days extra we need to get some teams into the state.

We have already played 8 home games.

Why would the AFL give us two more rounds at home and give us 10 home games, more than any other team?

The only way we get another game in Perth after GWS is if Essendon and Melbourne come here, hub, play each other and then Essendon plays us and Melbourne plays Freo

You would think if that was to happen they would be fixtured to play each other in round 13 in Perth, and they are not.

Back