• No

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They could easily be COVID free in 3 months. The virus spreads exponentially and dies exponentially. Cases have already stabilised, in two weeks they will half to about 200 a day, 2 more to about 50-100, 2 more to low double figures, 2 more to close to zero, then 2-4 weeks to make sure it is dead.

It's only eight weeks until finals are meant to be scheduled however, despite Gil holding on for a miracle so as to not break the Finals agreement, Victoria won't be hosting any more matches this year.

Looking way too far ahead, but I wonder how 2021 is going to look?
Will the QLD teams have a heap of away games to make up for this year?
And to allow their grounds to recover?

Will we get more Optus games?

The only thing for certain is the VFL will find a way for Richmond to not come to WA.

A silver bullet vaccine is unlikely - even if one is developed, production and deployment logistics mean it would not be universally available to the entire population, meaning outbreak vigilance will need to be continued regardless.

Expectation is that the country will have suppressed outbreaks and potentially eradicated domestic cases by that time.

Travel will probably still be impacted - due to politics as much as immunology, some states may retain restrictive measures well beyond their necessity.

The league and the broadcasters will be looking to recoup costs where possible - so likely a "traditional" fixture with a lot more Thursday and Monday night matches with a night Grand Final. I don't see Queensland teams being punished next year for the circumstances of this year. Likewise, the WA teams will receive their normal allotment of 12 matches at Optus Stadium.

Would not be surprised however if we see 2021 with a midseason "frenzy" like we have had this year as it allows broadcasters the opportunity to cast more matches during prime-time viewing. My fear is that with this in mind, the reduced quarters introduced for this season end up becoming a permanent change.

I can see the biggest talking point early on in 2021 being the Grand Final agreement and it will be interesting to see how much momentum builds towards seeing it torn up.

Just a very conservative estimate, allowing for 27000 crowds for all but the GF, incrementing costs as the finals proceed, a finals series at Optus would see nearly $50 000 000 in gate takings.

That doesn’t include corporate sales and only counts for a full house for the GF.

Minus costs, would the AFL want to pass that up?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My fear is that with this in mind, the reduced quarters introduced for this season end up becoming a permanent change.

I agree with this sentiment - a permanent reduction to game time is not something I want to see. Can live with this necessary change for 2020 season but.......no more.

On residual impacts of COVID - McGowan indicated yesterday that WA Borders may remain closed mid 2021. If so, this will,impact on fixtures next year.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

I can cop the going back to QLD, was always going to happen. But sending us up to Cairns...get f**ked AFL

Whys that?? Much better chance of good weather there this time of year..
Plus im looking forward to going there to see a game

Whys that?? Much better chance of good weather there this time of year..
Plus im looking forward to going there to see a gameSent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I know it won’t affect as much as usual, but it’s an extra flight + playing on an unfamiliar ground & surface. Like someone else said, why can’t the QLD teams go up there...try to make it “slightly fairer” than playing in their back yard for the majority of the season.

I don’t mind if we have to go to QLD, as long as we get some day games in the nice warm sunshine. Not keen on all night games with slippery conditions. Also, surely if the finals are all played in QLD, we should get more games at home to finish the regular season off?

"The two Perth teams, West Coast and Fremantle, are expected to head back to south-east Queensland for a chunk of the remainder of the season, meaning 15 of the AFL's 18 clubs will be based in that region."

So potentially not the whole five rounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So why are the QLD teams not playing games vs Neutrals in Adelaide then?
Some travel for them would balance it out a little bit right?

Yep, very valid.

That side of it to me comes back to AFL being desperate to capitalise on this rare chance to have Queensland be the focal point of footy. Never going to happen again, they’re not going to miss the chance to expand in Queensland just for the sake of “sporting integrity” or “fairness”.

Surely we could get 2 more team to cycle through?? We’ve got dogs, North and Richmond that need to play us both. Why couldn’t they come over, maybe staggered by a few days, have a bye, play both of us within say 10 days, and fly out again??

Yeah just volunteer to be put up in quarantine conditions while the next two clubs come here. That has to be preferable to being on the other side of the country, and it’d save on the need for a bye while the two visiting teams would ordinarily play each other (which can’t happen because there’s no combinations left).

Send the Dogs and North, put all four clubs in quarantine, then play us v North and Freo v Dogs, then the reverse matchups, then they can go back to Qld.

Yep, very valid.

That side of it to me comes back to AFL being desperate to capitalise on this rare chance to have Queensland be the focal point of footy. Never going to happen again, they’re not going to miss the chance to expand in Queensland just for the sake of “sporting integrity” or “fairness”.
All about the metrics

We are doomed . Doomed .

I’m more bullish about us than most on here seemingly but, sorry, if we can’t keep a top four spot, with a game in hand, because we have to play the same grounds 15 of the 18 clubs are, then something’s wrong.

Similarly, I’m as big a believer of Vic Bias as anyone, but that’s based on a set of teams constantly facing different circumstances to the rest. This is not that. This is nearly all teams hubbing and playing the same grounds at the same time.

When (nearly) everyone’s hubbing, we have no excuses. We just have to be better.

Does it amuse me that the AFL has cried poor, literally, and is weeping over lost revenue, only to relocate the league to a less profitable and less suited part of the country? Yes. Do I think it would be far smarter for them to bring it to the healthiest state in the country? Yes. Do I think this is more about growing footy in QLD than any logical decision relating to the spectacle of 2020 season? Yes.

Does it mean it’s time to crack out the woe is us? Nah. Bring it on.

Surely we could get 2 more team to cycle through?? We’ve got dogs, North and Richmond that need to play us both. Why couldn’t they come over, maybe staggered by a few days, have a bye, play both of us within say 10 days, and fly out again??

Because richmond and north have already played each other would be one reason..

Back