Rumour Eagles after Jordan Clark in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't see what the 2nd rounds have to do with Clark:huh:, nothing actually.o_O You will be lucky to see Clark play a single game next season.

Enjoy watching your stale list get older and slower buddy.:thumbsu:

Cats could have turned two 2nd rounders into four second round picks and actually done something about refreshing their list. Instead you stared a gift horse in the mouth to retain a player for 12 months who didn't want to be there. Topped up with a couple of aging b graders and went deep into the draft with picks in the 4th round. So much for those 2nd rounders being worthless.

Xavier O'Neil, Luke Foley and Baily Williams plus the Swans 2nd pick in 2019 would have gone quite a long way to turning the cats list around. But Wells had to try and save face after poor due diligence last draft with Kelly.

I actually feel sorry for Dangerfield, he moved to win a flag and looks like he is going to miss out due to poor list management.

But we don't need second round talent, we need first round talent. Reason why we asked for a first round pick.

Plus you never know if draft events turn out exactly the same had we even taken your second round picks, that could have changed future events.

Xavier O'Neil - Outside mid who would never get a game in our midfield anytime soon. Parfitt would be well ahead of him.

Luke Foley - Midfielder who is a diehard WCE fan, and we already have Constable who can't get a game. No thanks.

Bailey Williams - No way we take a ruck that early. Taking a tall that early is super hit and miss, that is why we take them late. Also we don't need a 18 year old ruck, we need a ruck that is good to go right now. Abbott looks like the best of the lot we have. Plus we got Blake Schlensog as a Cat B. Geelong never pay overs for talls, it never worked out well for us so we don't do it.

I mean the future second would be kinda nice but not worth it for maybe those 3 kids which fill none of our needs. Jordan is needed as we have 0 half back depth. With 2e coming back from injury, he could be in round one if fit enough. If not, he applies his trade in the VFL like most of our rookies.

You did well to keep Kelly for another year and you've given yourself the best chance possible at winning a flag this year as a result.

But if you're going to flaunt anecdotal statements as fact, you need to get it right. There were more draft picks involved than 2 second rounders. 3 second rounders at the very least, possibly with something coming back.

If Geelong had made the trade and moved picks around like we did, they'd have walked away with an additional 5 second round picks for 2018 & 2019. You would have been in the mix to walk away with a combination or ALL of Ian Hill, Luke Valente & Bailey Williams (As an example of highly rated & available talent) in addition to Jordan Clark PLUS two second round draft picks in 2019. You filled 7 spots in the draft & through rookie elevation, you certainly had the space for some good young talent.

In hindsight it would have been a bad call to trade that away for a player who's played 1 year of AFL (Albeit at an elite level by any standards) who is likely to come to us in another 12 months. That's not to say it was a bad call by Geelong - they did what they thought gave them the best chance at a Flag tilt this year. But it would have been to a damaging cost for WCE to have made that trade.

We didn't like the value so we passed. It was potentially your second rounders and one of your future picks for our future picks and our 1st combined. Thats what I gathered from the statements made by both clubs. Had you offered your two second rounders for Sydney's 1st rounder, Geelong would have taken it, given we went down from a top 10 pick. You didn't and Sydney took a worse offer from the Blues.

None of those kids fill needs minus Ian Hill which wold of been a nice get but meh we drafted a small forward from SA with none of the injury concerns and is ready to play round 1. We didn't see value to trade up to get him so we didn't rate him that highly then.

“Every draftee wants to play in round one, but if I have to wait three years I’m not too fussed,” Clark said.

“I’ll work hard to get that opportunity.”

“Having a strong group of West Australians will make it pretty easy for me,” Clark said.

“They’ll be understanding because they’ve gone through the move themselves and I’m sure they’ll be able to help me out a fair bit.”

Seems to have a good attitude about moving and working so we will see how he settles in.

And we’re all very happy we gave up 27, 30 and Sydney’s 2nd next year to keep Kelly.

Wouldn’t matter what happens really in the next few years. Geelong could win a Flag with Kelly this season or Geelong could miss the 8 and watch Kelly walk to the draft and end up at the Blues or Fremantle for nothing. Doesn’t change that they made the right call to keep Kelly.

So if Kelly nets the Cats nothing and the four players the Eagles pick up with the picks offered for him become best 22 players you will still think it was the right call?

Ok.:cool::think:

The bloke's from Albany going to a successful club, the only real country club in the competition. He'll be hungry and fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back