Eagles Best 22 in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

BeornJ

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I thought this would be an interesting exercise.

To look ahead and see where we may have deficiencies in the future once stars retire.

Also to see what our team will look like if players move into the positions we expect they will.

So here is my predictions and my thoughts as to why.

FB Nelson Barass Cole
HB Duggan McGovern Watson
C Gaff Yeo Venables
HF Petrucelle Brander Allen
FF Ryan Darling Rioli
R Naitanui Shuey Ah Chee
INT Ainsworth/Partington/Brayshaw/ Lycett Sheed Redden

Ah Chee will flourish in his new role at WCE and will become the bull we need.

Redden and Sheed will be fighting for their spots after Yeo moves to the middle and Venables cements his spot but they survive to the bench.

Duggan splits his time between midfield and Defence.

Cole and Nelson were very hard to place. .. let's call them Mid Aspirant. I don't know if they will make it or not.

Pet splits his time between the wing and a HHF position.

Brander and Oscar Allen wind up in the forward line after Kennedy, Lecras and Jetts retires. Cripps is pushed out and seeks a trade.

Watson breaks into the squad and cements his spot in the Half Back Position.

Ainsworth/Partington/Brayshaw fight for the remaining spot.

FB: Nelson Barrass Sheppard
HB: Yeo McGovern Duggan
C: Waterman Sheed Ah Chee
HF: Venables Darling O. Allen
FF: Cripps Brander Ryan

R: Naitanui Brayshaw Shuey

I: Ah Chee Vardy Fasolo Ainsworth

FB: Nelson Barrass Sheppard
HB: Yeo McGovern Duggan
C: Waterman Sheed Ah Chee
HF: Venables Darling O. Allen
FF: Cripps Brander Ryan

R: Naitanui Brayshaw Shuey

I: Ah Chee Vardy Fasolo Ainsworth

Will-Smith-Get-Out.gif

I'm curious. Do you not like him or just don' rate him

Here's some reasons:
1. He will be 26 years of age before he would ever be on our list.
2. Only in 2016 was there any real indication that he would be a better than average small forward by regularly hitting the scoreboard. Otherwise his career has stagnated, injuries notwithstanding.
3. I don't feel like Fasolo is the right balance that we need with our other forwards into the future. We are well stocked for tall forwards. Players like Jack Darling, Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman mean that we have a good list of secondary talls. Fasolo is not a crumbing forward per se, so I see him as competing with players like Ryan, Cripps, Venables (until he transitions into the midfield) and Karpany. Where Fasolo falls on that list is a matter of opinion. But for mine, he's definitely not the first option on that list. It's worth noting that his career goal average is only slightly ahead of Cripps and they are the same age.

Here's some reasons:
1. He will be 26 years of age before he would ever be on our list.
2. Only in 2016 was there any real indication that he would be a better than average small forward by regularly hitting the scoreboard. Otherwise his career has stagnated, injuries notwithstanding.
3. I don't feel like Fasolo is the right balance that we need with our other forwards into the future. We are well stocked for tall forwards. Players like Jack Darling, Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman mean that we have a good list of secondary talls. Fasolo is not a crumbing forward per se, so I see him as competing with players like Ryan, Cripps, Venables (until he transitions into the midfield) and Karpany. Where Fasolo falls on that list is a matter of opinion. But for mine, he's definitely not the first option on that list. It's worth noting that his career goal average is only slightly ahead of Cripps and they are the same age.
All valid points however he does play in a forward line with not much in it. Could he become a better player at the feet of JK & JD

B: Nelson - Barrass - Rotham
HB: Yeo - McGovern - Duggan
C: Cole - Allen - Gaff
HF: Venables - Darling - Rioli
F: Ryan - Brander - Waterman

R: Naitanui - Sheed - Brayshaw
I: Ainsworth - Lycett - Partington - ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*bump*

If this year does turn into a bit of a write off, then it's important we keep an eye on the development of the younger players on the list. Maybe Simpson has a bit of a crystal ball and looks at what is below as a starting point for next season.

Is it too early or pessimistic to be thinking of such things? Probably. But I'm locked down and bored, so...

SUGGESTED ROUND ONE SIDE: 2022

FB: Josh Rotham, Tom Barrass, Ben Johnson
HB: Brad Sheppard, Jeremy McGovern, Alex Witherden
C: Jarrod Brander, Elliot Yeo, Dom Sheed
HF: Willie Rioli, Jack Darling, Jack Petruccelle
FF: Jarrod Cameron, Oscar Allen, Liam Ryan

R: Nic Naitanui, Luke Shuey, Tim Kelly

I: Bailey Williams, Liam Duggan, Luke Edwards, Isiah Winder

S: Xavier O'Neill

Trade Gaff while he still has some currency. I don't think he's a bad player at all, definitely put in a shift on the weekend, but I'm not convinced he's worth the cap space he'd be taking up. Invest said pick(s) wisely. Move Sheed into his role.

Retire Hurn and Kennedy. Shift on Redden and Hutchings. Cripps to be demoted to depth until he learns how to handle the footy.

Consider Johnson as a back pocket option over Cole and Nelson. He'll provide better disposal and faster rebound than those two and Foley. I feel he brings a lot to the side that nobody else can provide. We've missed any real drive since Jetta has gone. Plus Johnson would help negate Witherden's lack of real leg speed in the backline on the smalls, while retaining Wither's cool head down back. Nelson can be retained in the squad as a tagger when required. I don't dislike Cole nor Nelson, I just feel they wouldn't make this particular 22.

Rioli to play a lot of midfield minutes, particularly at centre bounces. Sheed, Duggan, Edwards, Brander, Cameron and Winder - plenty of options to provide midfield support too. Shuey and Kelly would spend time forward in this side. It would allow Yeo to be managed, or even drop back if required.

Luke Edwards and Winder to be given the chance to shine early. I think they both have what it takes, especially Edwards in an inside-outside midfield role. He can cover for a lot of players when they need a rest.

Waterman is the tricky one. He's Best 22 on merit, but I think he unbalances the side. A second ruckman is a must to support Naitanui and it can't be Allen after Kennedy retires. Williams to be fit and avoiding dunking by then, easily overtaking Vardy as the preferred option.

Tell you what, the side named above has serious pace and skill. Look at that forward line. I think it would really enable us to update our game plan and play a more consistent attacking brand of footy. When you have capable role players like Cole, Cripps and Nelson as depth the list would be in a healthy place.

Trade Gaff while he still has some currency. I don't think he's a bad player at all, definitely put in a shift on the weekend, but I'm not convinced he's worth the cap space he'd be taking up. Invest said pick(s) wisely. Move Sheed into his role.

Would like to see what an example of what a mock trade involving Gaff would be. I don't know which teams would be interested in him given his age and cap space. I also feel like forcing him out would result in a similar situation to Treloar, especially since if he wanted to leave he would've already left.

FB: B. Sheppard, T. Barrass, L. Duggan
HB: A. Witherden, J. McGovern, J. Rotham
C: D. Sheed, J. Redden, L. Shuey
HF: W. Rioli, O Allen, J. Jones
FF: L. Ryan, J. Darling, B. Williams

R: N. Naitanui, T. Kelly, E. Yeo

I: L. Foley, J. Clark, L. Edwards, J. Cameron

S: I. Winder/J. Petruccelle

Still plenty of talent in that side for Round 1 next year. That's working with Hurn and Kennedy retiring, and Brander being traded for Clark (who I would develop in the middle). Redden to be played at the coalface to allow Shuey to transition to an outside role moving forwards. I haven't given up on Petch, as I think others have, but I'd be selecting a fit Cameron ahead of him. I still think Cameron will head to Brisbane, but if he stays he needs to be a priority to develop as he can certainly football. I'm done with Gaff and would take a second rounder for him.

Let's be real, Kennedy isn't retiring, and I'm not advocating forcing him out or anything. But I'd feel more balanced with him (or one of the other talls) gone. Williams needs to be another priority development to support Naitanui going forwards, but I don't want 3 tall forwards and 2 rucks.

FB: B. Sheppard, T. Barrass, L. Duggan
HB: A. Witherden, J. McGovern, J. Rotham
C: D. Sheed, J. Redden, L. Shuey
HF: W. Rioli, O Allen, J. Jones
FF: L. Ryan, J. Darling, B. Williams

R: N. Naitanui, T. Kelly, E. Yeo

I: L. Foley, J. Clark, L. Edwards, J. Cameron

S: I. Winder/J. Petruccelle

Still plenty of talent in that side for Round 1 next year. That's working with Hurn and Kennedy retiring, and Brander being traded for Clark (who I would develop in the middle). Redden to be played at the coalface to allow Shuey to transition to an outside role moving forwards. I haven't given up on Petch, as I think others have, but I'd be selecting a fit Cameron ahead of him. I still think Cameron will head to Brisbane, but if he stays he needs to be a priority to develop as he can certainly football.

Let's be real, Kennedy isn't retiring, and I'm not advocating forcing him out or anything. But I'd feel more balanced with him (or one of the other talls) gone. Williams needs to be another priority development to support Naitanui going forwards, but I don't want 3 tall forwards and 2 rucks.

Cant accept that backline would stand up any more than it has in 2021. Perhaps an analysis will see alterations to the game plan to address the problem. The last quarter of the Brisbane game showcases our problems.

We need to figure out a way to get the best out of Kelly more often - he’s an attacking player and our style of play hasn’t suited him. Let Shuey, Yeo and Redden take the grunt work in the middle and give TK a mandate to be a receiver with a focus on kicking goals. Throw in Rioli playing through the middle in bursts and we would look far more dynamic.

I still think Cripps is best 22 despite having some brain fades this year. At least you know he’s always going to bring defensive pressure and he’s a reliable goalkicker. Would love to see Cameron or Winder nail down a spot too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back