Eagles Best 22 in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Clarke have the ability to be a genuine extractor? Like say Yeo is out, can we just plonk him in there and rely him to be the one digging out and feeding our other mids? I feel like he is good inside mid but at this level he is more balanced rather than a pure inside mid.

I agree that Witherden is a point of difference IF Hurn isnt playing. We can't have Hurn and Witherden both in the same backline.

If Hurn is playing I'd take a number of run and gun type players before Witherden. If Hurn drops off or drops out then there is a better argument for Witherden considering his lack of run.
I think you can play both tbh. Get hurn kicking in but with no shep we lack strong lock down small/mid defenders. Get hurn locking down and allow Witherden to zone off and take the game on with his kicking.

Does Clarke have the ability to be a genuine extractor? Like say Yeo is out, can we just plonk him in there and rely him to be the one digging out and feeding our other mids? I feel like he is good inside mid but at this level he is more balanced rather than a pure inside mid.

He's more an inside mid than anything else, it's his bread and butter.

West Australian have gone with this as our best side, whilst I agree for the most part the concern for me is how many of these guys are barely training (highlighted below). Rioli didn't train yesterday either, not sure if just being managed.

• Defenders I'd swap Hurn and Rotham, need his speed higher up the ground to take the game on off half back.
  • Shuey simply has to come out of the mids or go to the outside, swap with Kelly IMO
  • Forget Darling for now, swap with Allen and bring Willie onfield
  • Switch Cripps and Ryan, Ryan to play deep
  • If Petruccelle is flying get him in the side (in for Darling)
  • Flip a coin between Witherden and Nelson, personally I'd go Witherden
  • Jones the sub over Langdon

WEST COAST​

B: Josh Rotham, Tom Barrass, Tom Cole

HB: Liam Duggan, Jeremy McGovern, Shannon Hurn

C: Andrew Gaff, Luke Shuey, Dom Sheed

HF: Tim Kelly, Jack Darling*, Liam Ryan

F: Oscar Allen, Josh Kennedy, Jamie Cripps

Foll: Nic Naitanui, Elliot Yeo, Jack Redden

I/C: Jackson Nelson, Willie Rioli, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Bailey Williams

Sub: Zac Langdon

Emerg: Alex Witherden, Jake Waterman, Harry Edwards, Jack Petruccelle

Bailey Williams is the massive question mark there (and structurally that raises other huge questions).

He's got to show significant improvement (athletically it looks like he can, and obviously this is his first full preseason for a while if not ever). If (and I understand this is off limited game-time) he's delivering 5-7 disposals a game and under 10 hitouts a game then we're carrying a player. We need the sum of what Nic does added with the 22nd selected player to be more significant that what that partnership has delivered to date (Nic will do Nic things, we just need to lose less momentum when he is off - not expecting a replacement, just someone who can help us hold-up).

He starts the year, but if he doesn't deliver in the first 3-4 rounds then I think HEdwards should come in - probably at the expense of Nelson - and then Williams also goes out at the expense of a small forward. HEdwards, Gov and OAllen (forward line only) should be able to provide adequate cover for Nic and deliver the 5-7 disposals, 5-10 hitouts.

The issue being that may make us too small in the forward line (something that hasn't been muttered around this club for what - 10+ years?) So maybe Waterman comes in for Williams in that scenario... Either way there are options (and of course there will be injuries, COVID issues, etc etc.

Bailey Williams is the massive question mark there (and structurally that raises other huge questions).

He's got to show significant improvement (athletically it looks like he can, and obviously this is his first full preseason for a while if not ever). If (and I understand this is off limited game-time) he's delivering 5-7 disposals a game and under 10 hitouts a game then we're carrying a player. We need the sum of what Nic does added with the 22nd selected player to be more significant that what that partnership has delivered to date (Nic will do Nic things, we just need to lose less momentum when he is off - not expecting a replacement, just someone who can help us hold-up).

He starts the year, but if he doesn't deliver in the first 3-4 rounds then I think HEdwards should come in - probably at the expense of Nelson - and then Williams also goes out at the expense of a small forward. HEdwards, Gov and OAllen (forward line only) should be able to provide adequate cover for Nic and deliver the 5-7 disposals, 5-10 hitouts.

The issue being that may make us too small in the forward line (something that hasn't been muttered around this club for what - 10+ years?) So maybe Waterman comes in for Williams in that scenario... Either way there are options (and of course there will be injuries, COVID issues, etc etc.

We had a nice, balanced forward line in 2018 IMO.

JK, Darling then Cripps, Ryan, Rioli and Le cras.

Lycett and Vardy provided a rotation forward when it was needed.

FB Cole Barrass Duggan
HB Hurn McGovern Witherden
C Gaff Sheed SPS
HF Rioli Allen kelly
FF Ryan kennedy Cripps
R Naitanui Shuey Yeo
I Foley Williams Petch West
Emergencies Redden Rotham Waterman

Redden the stiffest IMO but Im valuing speed here and gone with West. West training well this preseason and I can seeing him being that valuable role player in the middle.

Gone Foley over Rotham cause I rate his defensive work over Josh’s and with Hurn, Witho and even duggo to an extent, we need a better lockdown player in there.

I’ve headed with SPS cause I think his ball use (depending on confidence) would is a need with the style we want. Thnk him and Kelly should be rotating between HFF, outside and inside midfield

Round 1 lineup assuming Shuey, Darling, Allen and Cripps are all unavailable.

FB Hurn - Barrass - Rotham
HB Cole - McGovern - Duggan

R Naitanui - Yeo - Redden
C Sheed - Kelly - Gaff

HF SPS - Waterman - Petch
FF Ryan - JK - Rioli

I Williams HEdwards West Jones
S Nelson

Ok now Allen is pretty much confirmed out round 1 (along with an assumed Shuey, Darling, and Cripps out too):

WITH 'McGovern to forward line' fantasy:

HB Cole - HEdwards - Duggan

C Sheed - Kelly - Gaff

HF SPS - McGovern - Petch
FF Ryan - JK - Rioli

I Williams Chesser West Jones
S Nelson

WITHOUT 'McGovern to forward line' fantasy:

C Sheed - Kelly - Gaff

FF Ryan - JK - Rioli

S Nelson

Last edited:
I'll be very interested to see how we line up, and whether a new game style means new personnel. I think we start the year with many more questions than answers.

Forwards:
  • 2 talls or 3? How many will be available?
  • Can Waterman play if Kennedy, Allen and Darling are all selected?
  • 7 forwards, or 6 with a forward-inclined midfielder?

Midfield:
  • 1 ruck or 2, and who covers the second ruck if we don't play Williams?
  • Do we consider dropping players who lack speed or tackling intensity?
  • Will Chesser be worth a wing rotation?
  • Do we have any plans for the mature pick-ups in West and Clark, and where are they in the pecking order compared to Luke Edwards and O'Neill?

Defence:
  • Who will emerge as the best mid-sized defenders to support (and then replace) Hurn? Duggan, Cole, Nelson, Witherden, Rotham, Foley is too many, and we need to find a balance between defence and rebound.
  • How can we fit Harry Edwards into the side? He looks AFL standard, but we'd be very tall.
I'd have a stab at the team, but I think I'd get a lot wrong.

Didn't Gov ruck for 1 quarter and then was gassed for the rest of the game?
Not really a viable option.

Well the Gov was in the top 3 paid players in 2021. That should motivate him to get fit.

And touch wood, this preseason has come back a fair bit leaner than his playing weight in 2021. Still a VC and said he just wants to get as fit as he can.

Had the hip surgury and lets hope he can keep off the pies and have another AA year.

Ok now Allen is pretty much confirmed out round 1 (along with an assumed Shuey, Darling, and Cripps out too):

WITH 'McGovern to forward line' fantasy:

HB Cole - HEdwards - Duggan

C Sheed - Kelly - Gaff

HF SPS - McGovern - Petch
FF Ryan - JK - Rioli

I Williams Chesser West Jones
S Nelson

WITHOUT 'McGovern to forward line' fantasy:

C Sheed - Kelly - Gaff

FF Ryan - JK - Rioli

S Nelson

Isnt Duggan still scooting around on one leg?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B22 assuming Darling, Allen, Shuey, Cripps, SPS, Duggan, XON, Rioli and Clarke unavailable

FB: HEdwards Barrass Hurn
HB: Rotham McGovern Cole
C: Gaff Yeo Kelly
HF: Petrucelle Waterman Sheed
F: Ryan Kennedy Jones
R:Naitanui Redden West

I: Witherden Chesser Langdon Williams

Barrass to pinch hit forward and Chesser to provide a rotation on the wing and half back. Even with all of these injuries this still looks a decent side to me.

Round 1 team with Darling, Cripps, Allen, Clark, SPS and Cole out. I'll pick Duggan, Yeo and Shuey.

Hurn - Barrass - Rotham
Foley - McGovern - Duggan
Chesser - Yeo - Gaff
Rioli - Waterman - Petrucelle
Ryan - Kennedy - Williams

Naitanui - Shuey - Kelly

Sheed - Redden - Jones - Witherden

E: Langdon - West - Hedwards - Nelson

Round 1 team with Darling, Cripps, Allen, Clark, SPS and Cole out. I'll pick Duggan, Yeo and Shuey.

Hurn - Barrass - Rotham
Chesser - Yeo - Gaff

Naitanui - Shuey - Kelly

With those outs, this would be my preferred line-up also. Pending of course any standout performances from the practice games.

Hurn - Barrass - Rotham
Chesser - Yeo - Gaff

Naitanui - Shuey - Kelly

Well, this needs an update assuming the three outs. Sounds like SPS will actually be fit.

OUT: Sheed, Yeo, Chesser
IN: West, SPS, O'Neill

Hurn - Barrass - Rotham
West - Kelly - Gaff

Naitanui - Shuey - Redden

O'Neill - SPS - Jones - Witherden

E: Winder - Langdon - Hedwards - Nelson

In reality I think Langdon is a lock to be picked but he doesn't make the cut for me. There may be a greater need for Dugg, SPS and West to take some midfield rotations with our midfield outs.

Round 1 assuming Shuey is back.

Hurn Barrass Rotham
Foley Gov Duggan
SPS Kelly Gaff
Petch Waterman Shuey
Ryan JK Rioli

Nicnat Redden Jones

Williams West Witherden Langdon

Jones to add pace to slow midfield

Last edited:
A few people have our backline as-

Hurn - Barrass - Rotham

Looks like we are to expect no change from the slow chip and pass from prior years. So Rotham is the third tall - who will be there for the speedsters? Foley and Duggan have good endurance but are hardly fast!!!

A few people have our backline as-

Hurn - Barrass - Rotham

Looks like we are to expect no change from the slow chip and pass from prior years. So Rotham is the third tall - who will be there for the speedsters? Foley and Duggan have good endurance but are hardly fast!!!
Even if you put a Witherden/Nelson in to the mix it still looks concerning matching up against small forwards and when the ball hits the deck. Rotham is quick but not sure about agility? I'd like to see Hough in personally - even if he is still raw he could at least add some leg speed and lock down on the fast/small forwards.

Hopefully we can get this 22 asap in 2022

BACKS: Rotham ~ Barrass ~ Hurn/ Cole
HALF BACKS: Cole/ Hurn ~ Gov ~ Duggan

WINGS: Gaff ~ SPS
CENTRE: Redden. Think the transition post Redden is that Clark plays as a starting centre mid once some senior games under his belt.
RUCK: Naitanui
ROVERS: Shuey ~ Yeo

HALF FWD: Cripps ~ Allen ~ Ryan/ Waterman
FULL FWD: Waterman/ Ryan ~ Kennedy ~ Rioli

INT: Sheed ~ Witherden ~ Foley ~ Baz Williams/ Clark
MEDI SUB: Jones/ Langdon

EMERG: West ~ Petrucelle ~ Clark ~ Langdon/ Jones

DEPTH: O'Neill ~ Nelson ~ Edwards x 2 ~ Hough ~ Winder ~ Baz Will ~ Trew ~ Chesser ~ Hough ~ Jamieson???
NOT YET: Bazzo and Jack Williams

Jamieson worries me and probably is still in the not yet bracket. I know big guys take time and to be fair i haven't watched near enough Beagles BUT I'd hope that there'd been more shown by now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back