Competitions Eagles Board 2017 Mock Draft Part Deux! - We're underway

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood pick up Joel Garner.
Joel-Garner-1.jpg

CM9000 over to you mate.

This draft is really weird with it's evenness and depth from around 18 to 40.
One mans trash is anothers treasure.

All seem to have favourable traits with a perceived issue. (height/weight/speed ect)

Looking back in 4-5 years, I think this will be one of my favourites to see how close we got.

Last edited:
Carbine Chaos - love the first 5 picks you have taken for us

L Fogarty - inside outside mid who can go forward and hit the scoreboard
Bailey - inside bull that will be ideal getting first hands on the contest
Kelly - another inside outside mid that will also trouble the socreboard
Taylor - top quality KPD more in the role of lock down who will partner a more intercepting Barrass in 4 - 5 years
Moore - a small forward who will run all day and be that small forward we really have missed as well as giving a rotation or 2 in the midfield.

To me - this is a dream draft for the top 5 and you have both picked what we need and used the most of the picks we hold.

Please tell me your previous username was RohanO'Brien.

Taylor - top quality KPD more in the role of lock down who will partner a more intercepting Barrass in 4 - 5 years
Moore - a small forward who will run all day and be that small forward we really have missed as well as giving a rotation or 2 in the midfield.

To me - this is a dream draft for the top 5 and you have both picked what we need and used the most of the picks we hold.

Thanks mate.

With the first two picks I just wanted to prioritise midfielders willing to work hard, tackle hard and provide some scoreboard presence. Kelly provides much of the same and, along with Bailey, a fair amount of explosiveness from stoppages. Taylor is a longer term investment as a quality local defender and Moore just ticks a lot of boxes in terms of pressure and skill up front.

Bailey is the one that I would most like to come true, I get the feeling he could develop into quite a special little player.

PICK 13: WEST COAST

LACHLAN FOGARTY

lachlan-fogarty.jpg

An undersized mid! Waaaah!

So, he’s not the sexy pick at this stage. But maybe he should be! Lachlan is a classy inside/out midfielder whose only real knock at this stage is a bit of size. Worried about Masten 2.0, you say? Well, what really won me over with Lachlan were his tackling numbers. For the latter part of the year he was averaging over 9 tackles a game. 9! That’s huge, and really shows the determination and commitment our midfield requires. Plus watch how he drives bigger guys into the turf! I’m in love with his tackling game and I do think he could bring ‘the hunt’ back around the ball. The last two seasons have shown that pressure around the ball and desire are paramount to winning flags.

He looks to take the game on and has the agility to weave his way through traffic. Has the composure to match! He’s a very good decision maker, which I feel we need. You can see that he has a multi-faceted game, with offensive and defensive elements. I don’t feel we have a midfielder like this at this stage! Two-way running is essential and Lachlan is the best option here for it.

I think he is seen as a ‘safe’ bet in a lot of ways, but I don’t think that has to be a bad thing. In fact, it’s a compliment. He’s got so many positive attributes it’s hard to see him not becoming a good AFL player. Ultimately, I didn’t think he would last until my next selection, whereas a few other players I want probably will, so I decided he’d be worth the punt here.

It feels like Shuey slid under the radar to us at Pick 18 back in the day. I get a similar feeling about Fogarty. He may not go this early in reality, I have no idea, but I think he’ll be one of the better players from the draft when we reconsider it all in a decade.

CONSIDERED: Allen, obviously. But overlooking him here is a show of faith in Waterman and, in a way, Ah Chee. Higgins would have been taken if available. Saving the rest as they may slide to 21.

Went to my school, absolute jet. Reckon he'll end up one of better players in draft.

Last edited:

Is Bailey a bull? 181cm and 80kgs according to AFL site. That is smaller than Shuey. You can put on weight sure and Kerr wasnt tall but 181cm isnt big.

L Fogarty 179cm 75kgs, Kelly 182cm and 81kg, Moore 176cm and 68kgs.

Being the devils avocate none of these mid / forwards are big inside bulls or mids who are strong marking types.

Would like a point of difference in our midfield either one big mid or one taller mid.

I do rate Fogarty, Bailey and Kelly.

Last edited:
Is Bailey a bull? 181cm and 80kgs according to AFL site. That is smaller than Shuey. You can put on weight sure and Kerr wasnt tall but 181cm isnt big.

L Fogarty 179cm 75kgs, Kelly 182cm and 81kg, Moore 176cm and 68kgs.

Bekng the devils avocate none of these mid / forwards are big inside bulls or mids who are strong marking types.

Would like a point of difference in our midfield either one big mid or one taller mid.

I do rate Fogarty, Bailey and Kelly.
If we already had L Fogarty, agree that it would be worthwhile going a Worpel. Don't forget we have The Sneezer.

Bailey plays that tough in and under role. He may not be as tall but plays it tough.

If we already had L Fogarty, agree that it would be worthwhile going a Worpel. Don't forget we have The Sneezer.

Bailey plays that tough in and under role. He may not be as tall but plays it tough.

Both Bailey and L Fogarty are good defensively and Bailey is a harder type which we definitely need.

If we went with a Scloithe at 69 that would help. Is Ainesworth from WA hard at it? 185cm and a tad bigger. He seems to be one that is likely to be available at 37.

And yes Ah chee is 188/189cm so that will also help.

Ive said for a time our mids are too similar, no real point of difference and a bigger, taller marking mid is needed. Ah chee fits that but a 190+ cm true mid would be nice.

Both Bailey and L Fogarty are good defensively and Bailey is a harder type which we definitely need.

If we went with a Scloithe at 69 that would help. Is Ainesworth from WA hard at it? 185cm and a tad bigger. He seems to be one that is likely to be available at 37.

And yes Ah chee is 188/189cm so that will also help.

Ive said for a time our mids are too similar, no real point of difference and a bigger, taller marking mid is needed. Ah chee fits that but a 190+ cm true mid would be nice.
Ballard perhaps?
Worpel doesn't fit with your height parameters but if I had my choice, I'd swap him with Bailey.

This draft is really weird with it's evenness and depth from around 18 to 40.
One mans trash is anothers treasure.

All seem to have favourable traits with a perceived issue. (height/weight/speed ect)

Looking back in 4-5 years, I think this will be one of my favourites to see how close we got.

No doubt.

If it was guaranteed that we wouldn’t end up with any of Clark, Higgins, Bonar etc... at 13 I would have preferred to trade out this years first as well for a couple more second rounders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok time to move on. Adelaide select Harrison Petty, a promising key defender who won't want to go home to Melbourne after a couple of years.

Suma Magic is up. CM9000 can change this pick if he gets in first.

The tag from CC didn't work for me for some reason, and I haven't really been checking the thread. Still, sorry for holding this up.

Harrison Petty was who I was going to pick anyway (good choice Fivey). I'll get a write up done soon.

The tag from CC didn't work for me for some reason, and I haven't really been checking the thread. Still, sorry for holding this up.

Harrison Petty was who I was going to pick anyway (good choice Fivey). I'll get a write up done soon.

That worked out nicely then!

Sorry, should've PMed you before taking your pick for you but I was offline most of yesterday.

That worked out nicely then!

Sorry, should've PMed you before taking your pick for you but I was offline most of yesterday.

It's fine, can't really help when real life calls.

Is there a specific reason why CC's tag didn't work? Seems like a pretty rare occurrence.

It's fine, can't really help when real life calls.

Is there a specific reason why CC's tag didn't work? Seems like a pretty rare occurrence.

Temporary problem with the chickens in the servers, presumably :p

Hawks - take Ben Paton.

I like Paton has a good all round game tested very well at the combine and was one of the most consistent all year.

Which earned him a spot on the bench in the u18 All Australian team.

8354aecf2d34033c2b33f9718d5bbbb8.png

donetts14 your up

Last edited:
Pick 44: Oscar Clavarino (Brisbane Lions)
Dandenong/Vic Country
Rebounding Defender
195.6cm/85.1kg

Brisbane's second to last pick in the 2017 Draft, the selection of Clavarino fills another Brisbane need. Clavarino is seen as a bit of a project for the Lions, with question marks over his current frame and confidence at the forefront. Standing at almost 196cm, Clavarino's size fits into the traditional key defender mould, although his best role is as an intercepting defender, an interesting prospect. Elite endurance for his size, very strong overhead and reads the play exceptionally, with development in the right environment and a bit of belief in his own ability, Clavarino could be just about anything. Will need a huge preseason and a few kilos to be in the picture for Round 1, but raw potential could see him as a big factor in the Lions 22 in years to come.

Lions 2017 draft so far:

1. Luke Davies-Uniacke (Inside Mid)
15. Nathan Murphy (Medium Utility)
18. Sam Hayes (Ruck/Forward)
26. Connor Ballenden (Key Forward/Back)
44. Oscar Clavarino (Rebounding Defender)

Last edited:
Selection #45 - St Kilda choose Tom McCartin, 193cm KPF.

Brother of Saints key forward and former #1 pick Pat. Tom is an undervalued talent for mine, at least on BigFooty. He's mobile, has excellent endurance and a strong vertical leap. His sticky hands overhead coupled with his accurate kicking, both for goal and in general play, are his best assets. I think he could bolt in the top 30 come Friday, and would love WC to take a punt on him.

After going for Brayshaw, Clark & Miers with my first three picks, I felt I could go tall. I'd have looked at a KPD, but all the preferred ones were taken (Taylor, Petty, Clavarino). I also think TM presents excellent value at 45.

WCE_phil and Port are up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back