Competitions Eagles Board 2017 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

The Eagles need 2 clubs to take talls before us and or O'Brien to be elevated before my desired one of Constable or Clark.

I can write a decent case fro Freo and Pies going early but doubt they will. Brander offers a lot for the Saints and they have the other pick for Brayshaw or Stevenson. Can't see Carlton or Dogs going tall. O'Brien may be a reach but Carlton are not blessed with pace and he may be of interest. GWS may be swayed with Brander being a prior academy talent with high likelihood of staying. Adelaide would go Fogarty if still available but Naughton would be a perfect replacement for Lever.

So, I am holding my breath but feeling confident we will be able to take one of Constable or Clark. We need to hope that Rawlings will prevail and ensure we do the right thing. What about Bonar I hear your say. I would risk it leaving him to our pick at 21. Yes he may not be there but there is a possibility he will be.

What about Bonar I hear your say. I would risk it leaving him to our pick at 21. Yes he may not be there but there is a possibility he will be.

Ideally would love one of Bonar or Oscar Allen to be one of second round selections come November also.

Along with Jack Higgins I’m a fan of Allen. Watched him in a couple of the Nationals games, unfortunately didn’t get to see him play at WP, but his work rate really stood out to me.

Can see a role for him in our team as a 3rd tall forward that works up and down the ground, similar to Lynch at Adelaide.

It's pretty interesting to see Stephenson slide. That's 3 of us in a row that have him strongly in contention but he hasn't been quite right.
I suspect many think higher of an inside mid as outside skills are highly desired but lower rated.

I actually think Collingwood will go tall or go Stevenson. There was so much criticism that Wells was the only player that offered them genuine outside pace and they tried with Freeman 3 years ago. I believe St Kilda have recognised the need for speed as have Carlton. If Pies go Stevenson, Blues have supposedly interviewed O'Brien and if that is the case, we may have Constable and Clark to choose from at 13.

Ideally would love one of Bonar or Oscar Allen to be one of second round selections come November also.

Along with Jack Higgins I’m a fan of Allen. Watched him in a couple of the Nationals games, unfortunately didn’t get to see him play at WP, but his work rate really stood out to me.

Can see a role for him in our team as a 3rd tall forward that works up and down the ground, similar to Lynch at Adelaide.
Brisbane would benefit from Oscar Allen at 15 or 17 now that they have let Schacke go. They have a need for a another tall forward and they development of Hipwood as the primary target gives them options for 2nd or 3rd tall. Balta would also be an option for them in those slots.

Pick 7: St Kilda - Andrew Brayshaw

Since Coffields been taken, I pick Andrew Brayshaw with the Saints first. He should add to St Kilda's outside run and class as they look to build a more balanced midfield group.

Knightmare's Profile:
Best position: Inside midfield
Height, weight: 183cm, 80kg
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Projected draft range: first round
Similar to: Angus Brayshaw
August Ranking: 18
Rationale: Consistently outstanding numbers and well-rounded game sees Brayshaw rise to a top 10 position.
Strengths:
Contested ball winning
Tackling
Stoppage work
Clean at ground level
Footy smarts
Kicking
Vision
Endurance
Evasiveness
Production
Consistency
Contributes effectively both at stoppages and in general play
Weaknesses:
No clear second position

Callum Twomey's Profile:
Brayshaw hit the end of the season with a wave of momentum, including kicking two goals from 20 disposals in the first week of the TAC Cup finals and backing it up with 25 disposals and a goal in the Dragons' preliminary final win. The smart, tough and hard-working midfielder was also one of his side's best in its Grand Final loss last week with 21 touches. The younger brother of Melbourne's Angus has a nice all-round game and a hard and committed approach.

Adammania9's Profile:
Andy is pretty much exactly like his older brother. He isn’t a pretty midfielder but just gets the job done. He loves a contested possession and is a good user of the footy. He is a natural creator and he even kicks goals himself. He's one of the best two-way runners in the draft also.

Last edited:
I know, I'm just getting a bit of help from the Saints board.

However, it's been an hour since I asked and I haven't gotten any replies, so I'll probably give it another 10 minutes or so before I pick.
No rush at all mate, just wasn't sure if you realised or not. Take your time. :)

Pick 8: St Kilda - Jack Higgins

O'Brien and Stephenson were considered at this point, but I've decided to go with Higgins. According to the Saints board, they're actually in need of a quality small forward to hold down a spot, and Higgins offers a pint of difference with his flexibility to also play a midfield role. He's got great skills, game sense, and will provide class on the outside should he be moved into the middle.

Knightmare's Profile:
Best position: General forward/outside midfield
Height, weight: 178cm, 76kg
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Projected draft range: first round
Similar to: Toby Greene
August Ranking: 14
Rationale: Looking ultra-impressive as both a forward and midfielder. One of this year's most ready-to-go and complete performers.
Strengths:
One touch at ground level
Natural crumbing forward
Kicking skills on both sides of the body
Goal sense
Lowers his eyes and hits forward 50m targets
Plays taller than his height with his overhead marking
Capable one-on-one mark
Tackling pressure
Plays well as forward or midfielder
Production
Leap
Agility
Endurance
Work rate
Work ethic
Consistent performer
Weaknesses:
Impact per possession low as midfielder

Callum Twomey's Profile:
Higgins' outstanding season was capped when he became the first Oakleigh Chargers player to win the TAC Cup's Morrish Medal as the best player for the season. It highlighted the small forward/midfielder's consistency and capacity to always impact a game. His ability to play as a 'small full forward' was obvious in the Chargers' win over Bendigo late in the season when Higgins kicked seven goals, and he finished the year with 32 majors from 14 games at that level. He's clean and neat by foot and hand, and has rounded off his game nicely this season. Pound for pound he's one of the best in it.

Carbine Chaos you're up.

With Pick 9 the Western Bulldogs select AIDEN BONAR.

101017_BonarLarge.jpg

Position: Inside Mid (with the potential to play all over the ground)
Club: Dandenong Stingrays
Height: 190cm
Weight: 87kg

Do I think he'll go this early on draft day? Thanks to two knee recos, probably not. But everything about Bonar screams 'Joel Selwood-type' injury steal for me. He's strong, fast and can kick goals from the midfield. Has the ability to play forward after spending time there after his first knee reco. His pace allows him to add significant pressure around the ball, something which put me off the somewhat cumbersome Constable in comparison (that sweet, sweet alliteration). Has a big boot and can hoof it 60m, a trait which helps get over the modern zone defences. He's a perfect package for modern day football and would be happy for the Eagles to take a punt at 13.

Why here? Simple, I felt as though somebody was going to pull the trigger before Pick 16. Ideally I would have snagged Higgins here and Bonar at 16 but happy to take him here and watch him develop into one of the better players from the draft (provided his knee holds up). Vault me either way.

Others considered? Stephenson was a strong consideration for myself as well but I wanted a stronger, more contested player here and also had concerns about his consistency and field kicking. O'Brien came close, as did a few taller players that have slid, but ultimately I think the Bulldogs are okay for talls at the minute and could use some more strength in the guts.

ROYAL EAGLE is back up with the next pick for the Blues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Pick 9 the Western Bulldogs select AIDEN BONAR.

101017_BonarLarge.jpg

Position: Inside Mid (with the potential to play all over the ground)
Club: Dandenong Stingrays
Height: 190cm
Weight: 87kg

Do I think he'll go this early on draft day? Thanks to two knee recos, probably not. But everything about Bonar screams 'Joel Selwood-type' injury steal for me. He's strong, fast and can kick goals from the midfield. Has the ability to play forward after spending time there after his first knee reco. His pace allows him to add significant pressure around the ball, something which put me off the somewhat cumbersome Constable in comparison (that sweet, sweet alliteration). Has a big boot and can hoof it 60m, a trait which helps get over the modern zone defences. He's a perfect package for modern day football and would be happy for the Eagles to take a punt at 13.

Why here? Simple, I felt as though somebody was going to pull the trigger before Pick 16. Ideally I would have snagged Higgins here and Bonar at 16 but happy to take him here and watch him develop into one of the better players from the draft (provided his knee holds up). Vault me either way.

Others considered? Stephenson was a strong consideration for myself as well but I wanted a stronger, more contested player here and also had concerns about his consistency and field kicking. O'Brien came close, as did a few taller players that have slid, but ultimately I think the Bulldogs are okay for talls at the minute and could use some more strength in the guts.

ROYAL EAGLE is back up with the next pick for the Blues.
Good gutsy pick as he brings a really strong point of difference. The jury will be out on where he goes come Draft night but I expect him to be one of the first rising star nominees

Last edited:
Pick 7: St Kilda - Andrew Brayshaw

Since Coffields been taken, I pick Andrew Brayshaw with the Saints first. He should add to St Kilda's outside run and class as they look to build a more balanced midfield group.

Knightmare's Profile:
Best position: Inside midfield
Height, weight: 183cm, 80kg
I reckon this guy will end up the top player for this year's draft (except for 2 others), he's a complete midfielder, good size, inside, out, hard edge to him, runs hard defensively, will be a leader in the future as he's already shown great maturity and application to improve his game. Da-Vis-Uni-Ack-E and Raynor have outstanding natural ability above all others in this draft and could surpass Brayshaw if they show the same level of application.

I reckon this guy will end up the top player for this year's draft (except for 2 others), he's a complete midfielder, good size, inside, out, hard edge to him, runs hard defensively, will be a leader in the future as he's already shown great maturity and application to improve his game. Da-Vis-Uni-Ack-E and Raynor have outstanding natural ability above all others in this draft and could surpass Brayshaw if they show the same level of application.
Support the sentiment here. I would say Freo would be silly not to take him with 5.

I can see Freo going with Naughton at 5 given they’ll be taking a top mid with 2.
I believe Naughton would be ideal for Freo. A Rance type attacking CHB. That said, Freo seem to be averse to taking a tall with their first pick. Last year was different but I believe they still view Logue with midfield capability.

If I was picking for Freo, I would go Dow at 2 (if not available then Cerra) and Naughton at 5.

I believe Naughton would be ideal for Freo. A Rance type attacking CHB. That said, Freo seem to be averse to taking a tall with their first pick. Last year was different but I believe they still view Logue with midfield capability.

If I was picking for Freo, I would go Dow at 2 (if not available then Cerra) and Naughton at 5.

I’d lean towards Dow at pick 2 if I was Freo as well.

Not a knock on LDU but Dow is more of a balanced mid than him in my opinion.

Noah Balta (VIC)
profile thanks to knightmare
PICK 10
Classy forward think hes a good pick for \carlton

Best position: Key forward/key defence
Height, weight: 194cm, 92kg
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Projected draft range: First to second round
Similar to: Jarrad Waite
September Ranking: 5
Rationale: Speculative call, but Balta has the attributes and on-field impact to be the best key position player in this draft. Possesses explosive pace, extremely long kick and mix of cleanness at ground level and contested marking could see Balta develop into anything.
Strengths:
Versatility to impact games in any of the 18 field positions
Freakishly clean and one touch at ground level
Wins the ball cleanly at speed
Explosive, breakaway pace from congestion
Breaks the lines
Burst athlete who can get several touches in chains forward
Agility
Vertical leap
Strength
Contested marking
Gets front position in marking contests
Reads the drop of the ball early
Difficult to contain one the lead or leaping up at the football
Takes marks at full stretch
Stands up through tackles
Tackling
Scoreboard impact
Weaknesses:
Unclear best position Inconsistent performances

Noah Balta (VIC)
profile thanks to knightmare
PICK 10
Classy forward think hes a good pick for \carlton

Best position: Key forward/key defence
Height, weight: 194cm, 92kg
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Projected draft range: First to second round
Similar to: Jarrad Waite
September Ranking: 5
Rationale: Speculative call, but Balta has the attributes and on-field impact to be the best key position player in this draft. Possesses explosive pace, extremely long kick and mix of cleanness at ground level and contested marking could see Balta develop into anything.
Strengths:
Versatility to impact games in any of the 18 field positions
Freakishly clean and one touch at ground level
Wins the ball cleanly at speed
Explosive, breakaway pace from congestion
Breaks the lines
Burst athlete who can get several touches in chains forward
Agility
Vertical leap
Strength
Contested marking
Gets front position in marking contests
Reads the drop of the ball early
Difficult to contain one the lead or leaping up at the football
Takes marks at full stretch
Stands up through tackles
Tackling
Scoreboard impact
Weaknesses:
Unclear best position Inconsistent performances
Good pick I like Balta !!

GWS have a list stacked with talent, even after losing a few players in the trade period. Regardless, I went with who I though was best available at this pick. GWS choose (credit to Knightmare for the profile):

jaidyn-stephenson-of-the-rangers-runs-during-the-round-one-tac-cup-picture-id663694712

7. Jaidyn Stephenson (VIC)

Best position: Outside midfield/general forward
Height, weight: 189cm, 76kg
Recruited from: Eastern Ranges
Projected draft range: Top 10
Similar to: Isaac Smith
September Ranking: 15
Rationale: Has demonstrated the capability to play wing, forward or midfield. Strong finish to the season and big performances in the biggest games, including best on ground honours in Under-18 All Star game sees stocks rise.
Strengths:
High leaper
Aerial marking threat
Clean at ground level
Takes on the game with his run and is a genuine line breaker
Acceleration
Agility
Tackling pressure
Provides second and third efforts
Strong tackler
Reading of ruck taps
Composed with ball in hand