Competitions Eagles Board 2017 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne - Pick 30 - Gryan Miers

miers.jpg

So, Melbourne's list seemed pretty balanced to me, so I headed on over to their board to read their draft thread. Nothing but tumbleweeds. Either they think that now they've got Jake Lever their premiership assault is fully primed, or they've all gone into hibernation since they fell arse-backwards out of finals.

Reading a bit more deeply, I gather that they think they need some pace and an injection of x-factor. Gryan Miers has that in spades. he kicked 7 goals in the TAC cup final, and tested well at the combine. He's listed as an inside mid/forward, which to me says that he can make something happen in the forward line even when delivery is wayward. I reckon a lot of clubs (including the Eagles) will have their eye on him.

Charlie Spargo was the other choice here. With him off the board, time to jump on Miers. They're both very promising mid/forward options in the second round.

Over to ROYAL EAGLE for Carlton...

Melbourne - Pick 32 - Jack Petruccelle

petruccelle.jpg

More speed! Petruccelle recorded the fastest sprint time at the combine.

He likes to jump at the ball, although he doesn't always catch it when he gets there, and he likes to carry the ball at pace, although his decision-making doesn't always keep up with his speed of movement. Which is to say, he's a raw talent. But not just an athletic talent, because he gets the ball enough, and enough of that is contested, to suggest he has decent football instincts.

If he's going to thrive anywhere, it'll be next to ball-winners like Viney, Oliver and Brayshaw, who can release him to break lines.

new breed - I believe West Coast have yet another pick...

33 WEST COAST EAGLES

Sam Taylor KPD ( WA 18s Swan Districts )
5/5/1999 | 196cm 85kg

Have chosen Sam Taylor from Swan Districts FC really have invested in the future picking up Sam Taylor named as FB in the 18s All Australian team this season . Taylor is a lock down defender and played in the SD WAFL team including finals where he proved himself already at that level .

PROS
Excellent Marking ability and reader of the play
Good height and good mover for his height .
Could play AFL in 2018 if required .

CONS

Kicking a little unrealiable under pressure though Taylor has a good kicking action and its a minor adjustment experienced at WAFL level .

Really Taylor is a very valuable pick for WCE and with Schofield / MacKenzie doubtful in 2019 and with Gorter delisted I can see Taylor being a long term player at WCE plus you need to keep drafting young KPP players like Taylor when available .

Turboman1994 Sydney up next

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney Select Bailey Banfield all my options were taken so I went with BPA i knew

Pick 35: St Kilda - Matthew Ling

DvlVcmT.jpg

Ling is an outside midfielder with elite pace and sharp disposal on his left. As the need for a small forward is covered by Higgins, he should improve the Saints outside game as a major linebreaker and provide excellent ran and carry. Overall, the best option at this pick and one that suits St Kilda's needs.

Matt Balmer's Profile:
#18 Matthew Ling
Outside Midfielder (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
21/04/1999 | 183.1cm | 75.1kg
Previous ranking: #17

Scouting notes: Left footer who is a good ball user on the outside. Has flown under the radar and likely will end up as the first Geelong Falcon drafted. Is a smart footballer and makes good decisions. Not a big ball winner, but has elite agility that allows him to step opponents around the ground.

Last month: Ling played one of his better games for the season, with 23 disposals and six tackles in the Geelong Falcons’ TAC Cup elimination final win. Ling showed off his good agility and rebounded the ball with speed, hardly missing a target on his left foot. Had 15 disposals and three inside 50s in the preliminary final, but was largely restricted in the TAC Cup Grand Final with 11 disposals and six marks. Ling’s 10 disposals were largely effective in the NAB AFL Under 18 All Stars game on Grand Final day. His sprint time of 3.03s and 8.30s in the agility was very good & he looms as a top 25 prospect come draft night.

Knightmare's Profile (from his phantom draft):
Arguably the fastest line breaker in the draft. Ball use on left is precise and can open up games.

dajesmac you're up.

Pick 35: St Kilda - Matthew Ling

DvlVcmT.jpg

Ling is an outside midfielder with elite pace and sharp disposal on his left. As the need for a small forward is covered by Higgins, he should improve the Saints outside game as a major linebreaker and provide excellent ran and carry. Overall, the best option at this pick and one that suits St Kilda's needs.

Matt Balmer's Profile:
#18 Matthew Ling
Outside Midfielder (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
21/04/1999 | 183.1cm | 75.1kg
Previous ranking: #17

Scouting notes: Left footer who is a good ball user on the outside. Has flown under the radar and likely will end up as the first Geelong Falcon drafted. Is a smart footballer and makes good decisions. Not a big ball winner, but has elite agility that allows him to step opponents around the ground.

Last month: Ling played one of his better games for the season, with 23 disposals and six tackles in the Geelong Falcons’ TAC Cup elimination final win. Ling showed off his good agility and rebounded the ball with speed, hardly missing a target on his left foot. Had 15 disposals and three inside 50s in the preliminary final, but was largely restricted in the TAC Cup Grand Final with 11 disposals and six marks. Ling’s 10 disposals were largely effective in the NAB AFL Under 18 All Stars game on Grand Final day. His sprint time of 3.03s and 8.30s in the agility was very good & he looms as a top 25 prospect come draft night.

Knightmare's Profile (from his phantom draft):
Arguably the fastest line breaker in the draft. Ball use on left is precise and can open up games.

dajesmac you're up.
A pick before Geelong! Steven Wells would be seething!

Turboman1994

You’re on the clock. Guys how would we feel limiting this to three rounds instead of four? We’re already at that point where things are slowing down.

Agree Carbine. It’s come to a bit of a halt.

Selfishly I want 4 rounds because it’s more picks for the Pies but I’m accepting of any decision.

Turboman1994

You’re on the clock. Guys how would we feel limiting this to three rounds instead of four? We’re already at that point where things are slowing down.
As far as talent goes, I would like to go through to at least pick 69 so that we see what else may be available at our R4 pick and see what is left on the table. The whole thing lost momentum early and suggest we have a 3 to 4 hour limit between the hours of 8am and 11pm. No drama for people saying they cannot access BF - if you are limited in time then perhaps it is not the right time to be considered. Alternatively send you a list of priorities when you know you are at work for a large block.

27 WEST COAST EAGLES

Brandon Starcevich
187cm / 88kg Midfielder / Forward ( WA 18s East Perth )

Starcevich is not your polished midfielder but is a strong contested player with a fair bit of grunt also being WA based I wanted to choose a WA junior at this pick after the first two picks on VIC juniors .

Brandon is also capable of playing forward if required but its his power in the contest that will help WCE when he arrives at AFL level .

There were other choices available but I believe Starcevich while maybe taken too high can add something to the squad in the future .

brandon-starcevich-6521-1494829423.jpg

Over to you Falco for the next two picks
Starcevich seems to be underrated in the media atm, he looks fairly well rounded.

As far as talent goes, I would like to go through to at least pick 69 so that we see what else may be available at our R4 pick and see what is left on the table. The whole thing lost momentum early and suggest we have a 3 to 4 hour limit between the hours of 8am and 11pm. No drama for people saying they cannot access BF - if you are limited in time then perhaps it is not the right time to be considered. Alternatively send you a list of priorities when you know you are at work for a large block.
Don't know that we need to, do we? There's like a whole month till the draft, and what else are we going to do?
No qualms either way, happy to go 4 rounds. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back