Competitions Eagles Board 2017 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Starcevich seems to be underrated in the media atm, he looks fairly well rounded.
Sumich was pumping his tyres up prior to the combine.

I personally think he will be available at pick 37 and I see better value in the 20's than him. Feedback from some scouts that were across for the carnival was that he was a just possibility to get drafted after the Perth based games but they were not that rating him that high. However his performances in Victoria games were better and enhanced his stocks as did the finish to his East Perth form last in the season. Hence his invite to the All Star game

Melbourne - Pick 37 - Toby Wooller

His grandfather kicked 200+ goals for Geelong, so this might be another one in the last couple of picks that has slipped through their grasp. Here they are together. Toby is on the left.

wooller.jpg

Not sure that he'll be any better in 2018 than getting Stewart Crameri as a DFA, but he's certainly younger. And he's not Jack Watts. Welcome to Melbourne, Toby Wooller! If Jesse Hogan goes home, Tom McDonald is needed in the backline, Cam Pedersen can't keep up his 2017 form, and Sam Weideman doesn't come on, you're it...

38 WEST COAST EAGLES

ZAC BAILEY
Inside Midfielder ( Southern Districts NT / Allies )
23/09/1999 | 182cm 81.1kg

Speedy midfielder who gets to the right spots at stoppages and very good in the 18s Championships for the Allies .

Bailey would offer plenty at this pick could even be the pick of the Eagles draftees if he continues his impressive 18s Championships form .

PROS
Good burst of speed away from contests
Inside midfielder wins contested ball

CONS
Bailey is usually a clean kick but can have the odd poor game by foot

upload_2017-10-26_14-42-31.png

getgaff Collingwood next

PICK 39: COLLINGWOOD - Harry Petty

I was keen on adding the forward power of Wooler for Collingwood but just missed him. Still happy to settle on SA's best player in the Under 18 champs and AA Defender Harry Petty. Key details below

HEIGHT: 194cm/ WEIGHT: 81kg.
CLUB: Norwood FC/South Australia.
BEST POSITION: Key Position Defender.

AA tall defender at the Under 18 championships and SA's MVP at the Champs he was a lock down option on taller forwards but had a good knack of curtailing smaller more agile players also

Still very slight and has a lot of development yet but showed great "coach ability" and a strong desire to improve himself in his draft year.

Modern day tall defender in that he is athletic, reads the play very well, has a smart footy brain and is a strong pack mark, also not afraid to sit himself in the hole of an upcoming forward.

Can see some similarites with former Crow Lever, possibly modelled his game style a bit?

A real general and leader of the back half he would slot in nicely at Collingwood under the guidance of expereienced heads like Goldsack and Dunn in particular.

Thanks Hutchjutch (not tagging a Dockers fan ;)) for some assistance with the profile

wraglesweb and Adelaide are next

Last edited:
Adelaide Pick 40 - Dylan Moore 175cm 66kg

After Adelaide losing Cameron I couldn't go past Moore....

He's a pesky little player with a heart of phar lap he Definitely gets under the oppositions skin......

images-17.jpeg

He has neat skills good goal kicking sense elite aerobic capacity taking out the 2km time trial and 2nd in the yoyo test at the combine.
he can rack up the ball and be a damaging little player all this helped him make the u18 AA team.

Pick 41: Gold Coast select Ryley Stoddart from Vic Metro/Eastern Rangers
upload_2017-10-27_7-54-38.png
Ryley ticks a lot of boxes for a modern day half back. What do I like about him? He has a beautiful leg peg and hits targets further down the ground. The word tenacious is thrown in when people talk about him. He is strong under pressure, handles the pressure and makes good decisions with ball in hand. He is also someone who backs his own judgement and not afraid to leave his opponent and intercept.

While the Suns may have lost the Saad and his pace running the ball out of defence, Stoddart will step in. He is prepared to take it on by foot but his main strengths of good decision makings and hitting targets will ensure the Suns can be fast into attack. Ryley is also good enough to transition the play through the centre corridor – trusted to do it right.

He will take a couple of pre-seasons to get his body strength right to play AFL but no more than most.

jesterwester - over to you

Last edited:
Some good names have gone in the last couple of picks- it has taken me some time to choose!

Nick Shipley would be who I would be after, although I believe he is a GWS academy player. If so, do GWS match? Falco

Seeing as I have No more picks left surprised Nathan Murphy hasn't been picked up yet.

Probably go top 25 in the real thing !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some good names have gone in the last couple of picks- it has taken me some time to choose!

Nick Shipley would be who I would be after, although I believe he is a GWS academy player. If so, do GWS match? Falco
GWS match the bid on Shipley, keep your hands off him!

Seeing as I have No more picks left surprised Nathan Murphy hasn't been picked up yet.

Probably go top 25 in the real thing !
I picked him up for Gold Coast at 19. I see a lot of upside to him and he would complement the talls that they have up front as well as able to go back.

Pick 41: Gold Coast select Ryley Stoddart from Vic Metro/Eastern Rangers
View attachment 432144
Ryley ticks a lot of boxes for a modern day half back. What do I like about him? He has a beautiful leg peg and hits targets further down the ground. The word tenacious is thrown in when people talk about him. He is strong under pressure, handles the pressure and makes good decisions with ball in hand. He is also someone who backs his own judgement and not afraid to leave his opponent and intercept.

While the Suns may have lost the Saad and his pace running the ball out of defence, Stoddart will step in. He is prepared to take it on by foot but his main strengths of good decision makings and hitting targets will ensure the Suns can be fast into attack. Ryley is also good enough to transition the play through the centre corridor – trusted to do it right.

He will take a couple of pre-seasons to get his body strength right to play AFL but no more than most.

jesterwester - over to you

Nick Maxwell look-alike!

Ok, so with GWS matching my bid on Shipley, Fremantle then move down to pick 43.

With said pick, fremantle selects Nathan Kreuger

196cm, 88cm, hard working almost utility type who is probably more suited to a flank at this stage, most likely as a forward. He has excellent hands overhead, X factor and a lovely left foot on him. Does have a bit of the Tom Lamb look about him with his hair & size but think his attitude combined with his talent will see him succeed and well worth a shot at this pick. For those that have watched him more closely than me can see the comparison to Sam Reid of the swans.

Having taken his SA teammate in Fogarty, and Rayner who can impact straight away- Fremantle can afford to take a shot on a guy that has such a high ceiling and can be a decent 2nd tall in time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back