Competitions Eagles Board 2017 Mock Draft

Sorry I did forget to tag. So if it is you Miguel Sanchez you are up next

OK, Hawks take Oscar Clavarino. Writeup to come tonight, but basically I'd narrowed it down to Clavarino and another guy who I now can't remember, so Clavarino it is :oops:. He was the first choice anyway.

Saints and CM9000 are up.

Pick 44 - Hawthorn - Oscar Clavarino (key defender, Dandenong Stingrays, 194cm/80kg)

This is Hawthorn's only pick inside the top 50 in two drafts so they'll be pretty keen to get as promising a youngster as possible onto their books otherwise their list profile will get pretty out of whack, so I just looked for the best talent still available.

Clavarino is a decent stopper but probably has performed best in an intercept marking role which is something that the Hawks will be looking to fill after the retirement of Gibson. He's been compared with Jake Lever and you would much rather prefer to get a Lever in the 40s now rather than trade two first rounders for him in a couple of years.

From what I've read I'd be surprised to see him last this long on draft day though you can never tell of course. Anyway I'm sure the Hawks would be delighted if he did.

Last edited:

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Pick 45: St Kilda - Ben Paton

Paton is an attacking back pocket/half back flanker with a terrific kick on both sides and good endurance. As most of St Kilda's needs have been met with prior picks, he represents the best available at this point.

Foj1's Profile:
Ben has a terrific year as a 19 year old at the Murray Bushrangers and for Vic Country which culminated in All Australian selection this year.
Paton is an attacking half back flanker/ back pocket who provides plenty of run and is a terrific kick of the footy on both his left and right side.
Ben is quick enough and has a pretty good endurance base. Like a lot of young defenders Paton needs to get the balance right between when to defend and when to attack however I think that comes with experience. He showed some good defensive instincts at the National carnival particularly when matched up on Rankine.

AFL Draft Central Reports:
1. Back pocket (Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country)
19/10/1998 | 185cm | 78kg
Averaged 18 disposals, four marks and four rebound 50s per game playing as a small defender. Uses the ball well by foot and was often tasked with the kick out duties.

2. Despite being sick in recent weeks, Paton was able to win the ball around the contest and across either arcs. He did rest forward at times, but his run was important throughout the day and did take some good marks late in the contest. One of the better Bushrangers, particularly early when they put the pressure on the Dragons.

3. Lined up on Miers early on and throughout the game at times and did a fairly good job. He has a penetrating kick coming out of defence and a good sidestep which he showed on multiple occasions. Paton took a fantastic contested mark sliding in from the side of a pack and then took an intercept grab in a rare stint pushing forward, cutting the deficit to just six points late in the third term.

squashface you're next.

darksquare

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2016
Edgewater
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Melbourne - Pick 47 - Ben Miller

Best available player, I reckon. Draft stocks definitely getting thinner at these picks. I wanted Jackson Ross. Considered taking the wrong Brayshaw here in the hope of one day collecting the set, but that's a job for the rookie draft.

Miguel Sanchez - time to pick with your red and black hat on.

I hate that hat, it's got weird needle things sticking out of it.

Anyway Essendon pick Subiaco's Brayden Ainsworth. Bombers need inside mids, I was tossing up between him and Cassidy Parish but I figure Ainsworth is the better prospect. Plus "Cassidy Parish" sounds more like a character in a novel set in a rich private girls school than an AFL footballer, but maybe that's just me.

squashface is up again.

Pick 48 - Essendon - Brayden Ainsworth (inside mid, Subiaco, 183cm/75kg)

An inside mid from Subiaco who's described as a clearance machine ... hmm, that sounds familiar. Ainsworth led the Under 18s in clearances and was named in the All-Australian side, before going back to Subi and playing a big hand in their reserves premiership, although he didn't break into the senior side. Despite that, he could probably have an impact at AFL level in his first season. One draft profile made him sound like a cross between Priddis and Powell-Pepper (although if that was actually true he's be going in the top three, not at the end of the third round).

Essendon's biggest need is for inside mids with Watson gone and Heppell and Zerrett having to do the lion's share of the work now. It's a need they didn't really address with any of their "Three S" acquisitions in the trade period so it will probably be top priority for them on draft night.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
At pick 50, Suns take Brayden Crossley.

He is an Suns academy product and after some discussions with the Suns board, they expect to only take 3 live picks and to upgrade their rookies. It makes sense to take him here and save future bids as this is about the right place.

On the night - Crossley may be subject to a bid and assuming the bid is over pick 25, I believe it will be matched.

He is a genuine ruckman at 198cm and 105kg. He was also named as starting ruck for the U18 AA team in 2017.

Turboman1994 - over to you

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
fc,550x550,silver.jpg

Reckon we call time on Turboman to try and keep things moving. Think Carbine would agree.

If Turboman1994 gets online and their favoured player is still available then they can select him.

eaglespremiers and Brisbane you’re up.
Net problems at mine persisting and my phone is making things difficult. Trying to pick for Turboman, just give me a sec.

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Pick 53 - Richmond
Hugh Dixon 195cm, 92kgs. (combine stats will be up shortly)

Hugh looks another really likely type, could be a true KPF.
I'm actually really happy yo land him at this stage.

+ Contested Marking
+ Good Bodywork
+ Reasonable athleticism for his size
+ Potential

- Will be a project and take time.

AsterixTheGaul , You're up mate.

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Pick 55 - Bayley Fritsh
new breed

Just joking - Real pick

Richmond - Pick 55
Liam Ryan

He seems to be a very divisive player on these boards, I'm very much in the "pro" camp.
An amazing talent, could be a 40-50 goal forward.
Well worth the risk at this stage.
I need to pick up a KPD however the player I want should still be there at my next pick.

This is my 3rd forward selected but they're all different to each other.
Allen can play the link role (or swing down back), Ryan closer to home.
Tigers needed forwards and they got them.

Proper write up to follow.

getgaff
It's the toothless Bogans turn.

Last edited:
Back