Competitions Eagles board 2018 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast Select Michael Bennell from Perth.

188cm 70ish kg Wing/HFF

Unlikely to be drafted but anyone who has watched Michael Bennell play will tell you if his freakish ability. Moves like a gazelle can roost the ball 50plus m on both feet and has talent coming out of his wazoo.

Brisbane Draft Summary
Given I had no early picks, I'm very happy with the spread of talent I've landed.

21. Brisbane - Sam Sturt (Dandenong Stingrays, forward, 188cm, 79kg)
It's no secret that I pop my cookies over this lad, I picked him as he was best available in my eyes.
So many attributes I rate, such a small amount of experience in the game. This kid will be special.
Very happy to land him with my first pick in the draft.

36. Brisbane - Jacob Kennerley (Norwood, outside mid, 184cm, 76kg)
Outside midfielder who runs all day. Nice skills and poised.
Again I went for best available and I think this kid is pretty much a sure thing and will be at lease a solid player.

9. Brisbane - Marlion Pickett (South Fremantle, midfielder, 183cm, 85kg)
I wanted a level head in the backline, someone to take over the Hodge role, someone with talent and I got that with Pickett.
Plug and play in probably Brisbanes only area of need. Very happy to take him here.

48. Brisbane (matched bid) - Connor McFadyen (Wilston Grange/Brisbane NGA, midfielder, 190cm, 81kg)
Matched big and a bloody bargain this late...A big, athletic and strong inside midfielder with lots of upside.

North's draft haul:

19. North Melbourne (matched bid) - Tarryn Thomas (North Launceston/North NGA, midfielder, 189cm, 73kg)
47. North Melbourne - Boyd Woodcock (North Adelaide, forward/mid, 180cm, 71kg)
49. North Melbourne - Darcy Fort (Central District, ruckman, 205cm, 99kg)
52. North Melbourne (matched bid) - Bailey Scott (Suns academy/North father-son, midfielder, 186cm, 74kg)
56. North Melbourne - Harry Reynolds (Sandringham Dragons, utility, 190cm, 75kg)
71. North Melbourne - Kyron Hayden (North Melbourne, redrafted)

Very happy with that. In reality I think the bids on Thomas and Scott will come much earlier which will push some of those other picks back.

I didn't really identify a need for North's list other than some ready-to-play backup for Goldstein, which I got with Darcy Fort who I think is probably the best ruckman outside the AFL system at the moment other than maybe Zac Clarke, who's a few years older plus possibly getting to Essendon through the back door anyway.

The Woodcock pick was just best available (plus funniest name available), a small forward who can hopefully press up into the midfield as his career progresses, who has shown himself capable of competing against men with his great game in the SNAFFLE grand final.

Reynolds is a real smokey, a player who was playing school footy for most of the year. I think he can offer something off half-back and with their overall draft haul North can afford to take a risk at that pick.

With the Hayden pick I considered taking a mature player who could help with their depth, after they cut fairly deep with their delistings. In particular I considered Honeychurch and Neade from the DFAs as well as Jye Bolton, but there wasn't anyone I liked more than Hayden and I was pretty concerned some campaigner would steal him (because if I was picking for another club I would), so back in he comes.
I was hoping to see you take a Gaff and Kelly insurance policy player

Where is O'Neill you flogs :eyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back