Competitions Eagles board 2018 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 61 Richmond select

Brett Bewley

Height: 186cm
Weight: 83kg
DOB: 14/4/95
Club: Williamstown

Bewley was one of the strongest performers in the NAB AFL State Draft Combine and his test results – a 2.99 in the 20m sprint and a recorded time of 22.4 in the YoYo endurance test (the best out of the national and state testing) were testament to the work he puts into his craft. Bewley, 23, is a carpenter by trade and he enjoyed a productive season with Williamstown, gathering the fourth-most disposals in the competition. He's a strong body, he kicks the ball well and he's good overhead. A strong chance to be drafted.

I was interested in Grigg for my last pick.

But I’m taking inspiration from the road to the draft podcast today. Shifter chose Tom Joyce, a 181cm mid from WA who performed well in the carnival last year but got injured early this year. He seems like he has a good all-round game and was touted to be a leader this year in the state team.

It’s a crap shoot from this point on, picking a player who has slid due to injury seems a good a bet as any.

Check him out on the draft machine.

http://m.afl.com.au/draft/draft-machine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far Carlton have taken Rankine with 1, and a small mid Tom Joyce with their next pick. They don't really need key forwards or rucks, so I was looking for best available beyond that.

This guy seemed best available, and is a decent pick considering that their small forwards are pretty crap.

Averaged 24 touches, 5 tackles and a goal in colts this year. Also made the jump to reserves then league.

Having selected three players around 180cm, the blues would have to go bigger in the rookie draft (although TBH I don't know if they have any picks there).

Tyron Smallwood (Claremont/Western Australia)

Not much has been said about the classy outside midfielder/small forward, but he earned a National Draft Combine invitation and is one of the players we rate as a mid-draft prospect. He just does a lot right and is a player who while undersized, is capable of being accountable for an opponent. He kicks goals and lays tackles, and can also move through the midfield with an ability to win the footy and drive it forward. He is not as quick as other small forwards, but he has fairly good evasion skills, and his ability to execute by hand or foot is impressive. Smallwood just seems like the type of player that clubs secretly want to drop and then call it a bargain later on, because he has some very draftable qualities.
https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/2018/11/12/afl-draft-central-final-2018-power-rankings/

Check out his video: http://draftmachine.afl.com.au/?v=2018a#

Eastcoasteagle

Pick 14: Adelaide Crows - Hugo Munn, Sturt (197cm, 93kg). Key position forward

Crows finally land some homegrown talent and fits their last list need of a developing key forward as Tex and Jenkins are getting into the twilight of their careers. Cannot believe this guy is still here, will go 30-50 on the night. Munn already has a strong body and loves to crash packs with it. Had a sound championships and has played plenty of senior football at Sturt this year, has been training with the crows earlier this year and modelling his game on Tex's.

North's draft haul:

19. North Melbourne (matched bid) - Tarryn Thomas (North Launceston/North NGA, midfielder, 189cm, 73kg)
47. North Melbourne - Boyd Woodcock (North Adelaide, forward/mid, 180cm, 71kg)
49. North Melbourne - Darcy Fort (Central District, ruckman, 205cm, 99kg)
52. North Melbourne (matched bid) - Bailey Scott (Suns academy/North father-son, midfielder, 186cm, 74kg)
56. North Melbourne - Harry Reynolds (Sandringham Dragons, utility, 190cm, 75kg)
71. North Melbourne - Kyron Hayden (North Melbourne, redrafted)

Very happy with that. In reality I think the bids on Thomas and Scott will come much earlier which will push some of those other picks back.

I didn't really identify a need for North's list other than some ready-to-play backup for Goldstein, which I got with Darcy Fort who I think is probably the best ruckman outside the AFL system at the moment other than maybe Zac Clarke, who's a few years older plus possibly getting to Essendon through the back door anyway.

The Woodcock pick was just best available (plus funniest name available), a small forward who can hopefully press up into the midfield as his career progresses, who has shown himself capable of competing against men with his great game in the SNAFFLE grand final.

Reynolds is a real smokey, a player who was playing school footy for most of the year. I think he can offer something off half-back and with their overall draft haul North can afford to take a risk at that pick.

With the Hayden pick I considered taking a mature player who could help with their depth, after they cut fairly deep with their delistings. In particular I considered Honeychurch and Neade from the DFAs as well as Jye Bolton, but there wasn't anyone I liked more than Hayden and I was pretty concerned some campaigner would steal him (because if I was picking for another club I would), so back in he comes.

North's draft haul:

19. North Melbourne (matched bid) - Tarryn Thomas (North Launceston/North NGA, midfielder, 189cm, 73kg)
47. North Melbourne - Boyd Woodcock (North Adelaide, forward/mid, 180cm, 71kg)
49. North Melbourne - Darcy Fort (Central District, ruckman, 205cm, 99kg)
52. North Melbourne (matched bid) - Bailey Scott (Suns academy/North father-son, midfielder, 186cm, 74kg)
56. North Melbourne - Harry Reynolds (Sandringham Dragons, utility, 190cm, 75kg)
71. North Melbourne - Kyron Hayden (North Melbourne, redrafted)

Very happy with that. In reality I think the bids on Thomas and Scott will come much earlier which will push some of those other picks back.

I didn't really identify a need for North's list other than some ready-to-play backup for Goldstein, which I got with Darcy Fort who I think is probably the best ruckman outside the AFL system at the moment other than maybe Zac Clarke, who's a few years older plus possibly getting to Essendon through the back door anyway.

The Woodcock pick was just best available (plus funniest name available), a small forward who can hopefully press up into the midfield as his career progresses, who has shown himself capable of competing against men with his great game in the SNAFFLE grand final.

Reynolds is a real smokey, a player who was playing school footy for most of the year. I think he can offer something off half-back and with their overall draft haul North can afford to take a risk at that pick.

With the Hayden pick I considered taking a mature player who could help with their depth, after they cut fairly deep with their delistings. In particular I considered Honeychurch and Neade from the DFAs as well as Jye Bolton, but there wasn't anyone I liked more than Hayden and I was pretty concerned some campaigner would steal him (because if I was picking for another club I would), so back in he comes.

Phar Lap’s Australia ‘s greatest Racehorse, well the strapper was a very famous Woodcock.. Tommy Woodcock..

A bit of trivia as the name sounded familiar..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Phar Lap’s Australia ‘s greatest Racehorse, well the strapper was a very famous Woodcock.. Tommy Woodcock..

A bit of trivia as the name sounded familiar..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also Roger Woodcock kicked 600 goals for Norwood in the pre-AFL days (and was the profile pic of former AFL flak-catcher Patrick Keane on Twitter, which is the only reason I've heard of him).

I wonder if Boyd is any relation? Surely there can't be too many Woodcocks in South Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back