Autopsy Eagles Def Freo by 30 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Croz fly under the radar a lot with his kicking , without grey around as a bad kick ( I think he is reasonable ) , croz weakness show. Bring deluca in and play grey in wafl .

For a 1st year player Logue's strength is impressive. Fought on against Daw and Darling who are big units. He actually did beat Darling on few occasions and looked good at times in the 2nd half.

I actually like Logue as a player, just don't think he is ready yet for afl. I was watching on tv and not at game, but really didn't see him do too much. As for playing on and beating daw, he is hardly an elite player

Positives:

No one won that game
Ryan
Fyfe is springing for marks again.

Negatives:
Possibly the worst exhibition of football I've seen since the early 2000s

Nick Suban

I don't know. Nick Suban was Nick Suban - he did some great things, he worked as hard as anything, but he did some dumb things and got some tough calls - typical Suban. Overall I thought he was OK and he was no worse a user with the ball than just about everybody else including some supposed great kickers like BHill, Weller, Walters etc..

If nothing else, he kicked a ******* goal when he had the chance. That's better than most.

What a shitshow.

Probably Brad Hill's worst game of his career but at least he kept trying his guts out.

Tabener needs to come in - if we're going to persist with skying in bombs to our forwards we need someone who has half a chance of clunking one.

Kersten needs a kick up the arse and while Logue isn't quite AFL standard, I don't mind what I see and am happy keeping him in the team to help him get there.

I actually like Logue as a player, just don't think he is ready yet for afl. I was watching on tv and not at game, but really didn't see him do too much. As for playing on and beating daw, he is hardly an elite player
Yeah cool. Much of a muchness. I just see the AFL as fast tracking his progress but a case could be made either way. Neither Darling or Daw are elite. I was just talking about their strength compared to a first year player.

Things I learnt:

- We STILL need a big fwd who knows how to lead, mark and kick goals.

- WC are the biggest pretenders since my over-weight Uncle Jim played the Tooth fairy in the community hall play. If they are going to get smashed in the clearances and around the ground by a bunch of kids, they've got no hope against half decent teams in this league. At least we know where we're at.
With McCarthy and Kersten signed up for 3 years each, will the club bother to recruit any more KPF before 2020?

Agree with most above. All our kicking forward of centre was awful. Aside from that we smashed them.

Kicking aside I didn't think anyone was terrible. Obviously if you include it many were. Crozier is getting scapegoated here, he presented well and kicked better inside 50 than Neale, Billy, Subes and probably others.

Tough to watch but I don't think it is nearly as bad as it looks. We kick to a few leads and convert and it is a standard 80-70 win.

Disappointed but not worried. Showed more than enough outside of the kicking.

Also, the Eagles are nowhere near it. They are going to soldier on thinking they can win the flag and they really can't. Need to rebuild as much as we did in 2016.

Death by 1000 cuts today.

I love watching the game at the pub as much as the next person but my god, it's so hard to hold in the anguish of watching the sort of s**t we dished up today.

5 goals 14, give me a ******* spell.

Kicking inside forward 50, where is the bloody structure?

Football is supposed to be a bit of fun and finding some joy in it no matter the circumstances but there is no joy in watching the sort of s**t we dished up today.

People criticising Croz, yeah, he's not perfect but he was a lot better than Ballantyne and Kersten and I think before we talk about dropping players, let's look in particular at Kersten.

Frankly goal kicking practice is in order along with lowering the eyes when kicking inside 50 and some ******* lessons in communication. How often do we see teammates spoil each other? Where is the communication?

Absolutely painful as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know. Nick Suban was Nick Suban - he did some great things, he worked as hard as anything, but he did some dumb things and got some tough calls - typical Suban. Overall I thought he was OK and he was no worse a user with the ball than just about everybody else including some supposed great kickers like BHill, Weller, Walters etc..

If nothing else, he kicked a ******* goal when he had the chance. That's better than most.
Outside of getting pinged for holding the ball a few more times, today was peak Suban.

I don't know. Nick Suban was Nick Suban - he did some great things, he worked as hard as anything, but he did some dumb things and got some tough calls - typical Suban. Overall I thought he was OK and he was no worse a user with the ball than just about everybody else including some supposed great kickers like BHill, and Walters.

Nah i think his sheer potatoness early in the game cannot be overlooked. Yes he stepped up towards the end but the lack of a right foot killing that certain score early, the atrocious contests, the classical HTB...

I don't care that we might get less out of whoever comes in. It's games into Deluca/Grey vs more of the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a 1st year player Logue's strength is impressive. Fought on against Daw and Darling who are big units. He actually did beat Darling on few occasions and looked good at times in the 2nd half.

Yep , getting better all the time. I am strangely buoyed by that performance , won the game everywhere but on the scoreboard, we are not far away, the defense kept them to just 74 points even with all the 50's and rebounds from the forward line.

There's a lot to like apart form the forward line. and if we'd converted better even carrying that dysfunctional unit wouldn't have mattered.

Yep , getting better all the time. I am strangely buoyed by that performance , won the game everywhere but on the scoreboard, we are not far away, the defense kept them to just 74 points even with all the 50's and rebounds from the forward line.

There's a lot to like apart form the forward line. and if we'd converted better even carrying that dysfunctional unit wouldn't have mattered.

Yeah, but no doubt he's got very little natural awareness and that concerns me - it might come though, certainly see some things to build on every game. I'm OK with him, it's very early days, but my expectations are tempered at this stage to be honest.

What a shitshow.

Probably Brad Hill's worst game of his career but at least he kept trying his guts out.

Tabener needs to come in - if we're going to persist with skying in bombs to our forwards we need someone who has half a chance of clunking one.

Kersten needs a kick up the arse and while Logue isn't quite AFL standard, I don't mind what I see and am happy keeping him in the team to help him get there.

strongly disagree that this was brad hill's worst game of his career. Luke McPharlin thought he was freo's 4th best player. take out the 3 misses and he was instrumental in our midfield supply and run. Logue is in his dodo stage re decision making but his athleticism is definitely worth persisting with

edit: What does Kersten actually offer? He averages 1 goal per game which is less than McCarthy or Tabs, yet he seemingly doesn't have to earn his place. He goes missing for most of the game and everyone goes crazy when he pops up for a goal. On merit, wouldn't get a game in Peel seniors

He hasn't taken a contested mark for 2 months.

He's small forward. He doesn't play tall in any way. We have enough small forwards.

All game begging for a tall target up forward. McGovern and Hurn easily swooped for marks. Knew as soon as we named Ballas at CHF that we would struggle.

Ross is ignorant and hell, even arrogant with that gameplan. Now he has to play Tabs, otherwise if he chooses his pet Sutcliffe, over him then questions will definitely be raised

You can blame the quality of the forward entries but there were only about 2 occasions all day where forwards in the 50 led up to the kicker, everyone wants the kick over the back of the defender and most of our players are not skilled enough for that kick and when they are the forward falls over

I think we had an intention to try and use our smalls in a run back to goal strategy and burn the Eagles with pace out the back. THE PROBLEM was we couldn't link up enough and get the ball out the back or were trying to kick out the back from too far out.

It is the only way I can explain what I saw. I don't want to believe there was no actual strategy.

We certainly didn't lead up at the kicker, but I have to believe that was through design and game plan because it isn't that hard to just lead up.

I made this observation a few weeks ago and made mention of it. I genuinely believe it is what we're trying to do in our front half. Obvious problem is we haven't worked it out yet and therefore we second guess as forwards and kickers and that just lead to absolute howlers of disposal.

I mean if anyone wants to watch the game again we weren't 'shanking' kicks inside 50m. We were just drilling passes to the wrong spot.

I need to believe this is the case because if it wasn't then we were truly crap and half a dozen blokes aren't AFL standard with disposal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back