Autopsy Eagles Def Freo by 30 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep , getting better all the time. I am strangely buoyed by that performance , won the game everywhere but on the scoreboard, we are not far away, the defense kept them to just 74 points even with all the 50's and rebounds from the forward line.

There's a lot to like apart form the forward line. and if we'd converted better even carrying that dysfunctional unit wouldn't have mattered.

That's close to how I feel, didn't feel like we got locked in defense as much (except the 1st quarter), we transitioned the ball beautifully at times, the whole length of the field. Just need better ball users at half forward. Once Walters had a lockdown, we had very few who could deliver inside 50 with any precision.

Further to my comment. Our forwards are leading back WAY too early, so they are effectively 65m ahead of the ball carrier, who if they can't hit that little 20-30m hit up target just bomb it long and the defender just turns and takes an uncontested mark.

Once again I will state we're are definitely trying something with our forward line.

I actually like Logue as a player, just don't think he is ready yet for afl. I was watching on tv and not at game, but really didn't see him do too much. As for playing on and beating daw, he is hardly an elite player

Something else on the radio about Logue - but they were suggesting that he tries to take the ball clean each time when defending, when he needs to learn the McPharlin art of putting some body work in there to shift the forward. Subtle changes - he has the strength and just needs to learn a few tricks.

I thought our team had a great day today, they were just at the wrong venue ...

Kiwi-butchers-win-Tri-Nations-tournament.jpg

That was one of the least enjoyable games in the last decade. Appalling skills.

Positives were Blakely continuing to look the goods and seeing first hand what a bog average team the eagles are. A half decent team would have put them away today easy. Sadly that's not us right now

Chicken or the egg.

A poor forward line, no genuine target, an inability to lead at the the ball carrier, an inability to lead into space in the forward line, an inability of our forwards to dummy lead into space to create space for others.
+
Horrendous delivery inside 50 - kicking to the wall that West Coast set up.

Some classic overreacting here people. Seriously, the mids/forward connecting will be the last thing that clicks. At least we can get it out of the back half now.

No way you can judge Logue yet. I would say we have yet to draft/trade for at least 3 of our 6 forwards from our next challenging team. Still very much in the rebuild and we have made definite progress. Relax people.

Well that was frustrating.

We butchered that game by some shocking disposal. It was D grade stuff. I saw better kicks and skills last night on the ground in the kick to kick by 12 year olds after the game at spotless stadium.

Even the goals we kicked we made hard work of.

In saying that the effort and desire was there and we really outplayed west coast everywhere but the scoreboard. And sometimes you have to take a deep breath and look at the long term picture.

West coast are in no mans land. They aren't winning the premiership and they are kidding themselves if they think they can.

I think we are closer to a premiership then what west coast are. I reckon we will knock them off in the 1st derby next year as we keep our steady growth and get another 12 months into this group.

Some classic overreacting here people. Seriously, the mids/forward connecting will be the last thing that clicks. At least we can get it out of the back half now.

No way you can judge Logue yet. I would say we have yet to draft/trade for at least 3 of our 6 forwards from our next challenging team. Still very much in the rebuild and we have made definite progress. Relax people.

we've lost the last 5 derbies, against a team on the decline.
That's not good enough, and we still have too many spuds in our team.
Even Lachie Neale stuffed up two kicks today

Wtf did I just witness? Either the most blatant tank ever or a dysfunctional team completely soft in the head and lacking any system whatsoever. The way the Hills, Neale, Ballantyne, Tucker etc hit the West Coast defenders with 100% efficiency was a joy to watch.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we've lost the last 5 derbies, against a team on the decline.
That's not good enough, and we still have too many spuds in our team.
Even Lachie Neale stuffed up two kicks today
Are you serious? We have been on a MUCH bigger decline than them. They had on average, 2.5 years and 50 games experience on us. The fact that they had to rely on us kicking ourselves out of it is a massive tick to us. Sure they are not great, but they are vastly more experienced and have actual key forwards.

I really don't understand how people think we are supposed to be top 8 teams consistently in rebuild years. Truly boggles my mind.

You can blame the quality of the forward entries but there were only about 2 occasions all day where forwards in the 50 led up to the kicker, everyone wants the kick over the back of the defender and most of our players are not skilled enough for that kick and when they are the forward falls over
Indeed it is far harder to kick the ball over the top to a fleeing target than hit up a lead - yet that's what we do most of the time at least when we aren't just kicking it to nobody in particular. It's just low percentage stuff

Our poor forward entries are a result of our complete lack of forward structure.

Where are you supposed to kick it when your only options ahead are Suban vs McGovern and Kersten vs Hurn? All your options are s**t so of course your forward entry is going to be s**t.

It's the same thing that's plagued us for years. Our players are not bad kicks. Our disposal efficiency elsewhere on the ground is no different to other teams. The problem is our forward structure, and until that improves it's pointless to keep pointing out our poor forward entries each week.

Our game plan apparently revolves around running the ball into our forward line rather than kicking it. That is the only conclusion you can draw if we're not playing anybody in there.

Actually a lot of positives today, just that last bit of polish is lacking. The butchers apron was well and truly on.

I'm not usually one for bashing our own players buuut, I'm really struggling to see why we spent our precious pick 8 on Griffin Logue.
I do. The bloke is 190cm and around 90kg. Freo have picked up many talented players that have been hit with injury in the past. Logue is the jack of all trades but a master of none.... yet. I see him being a 200 gamer for us.

He hasn't taken a contested mark for 2 months.

He's small forward. He doesn't play tall in any way. We have enough small forwards.

He's getting games as our no 1 forward for the last 2 weeks.

Also small forwards are supposed to work very hard and I'm not seeing that with him at any stage

couldn't agree more. You guys gifted us that game and we will continue to decline until our match committee grow some balls.

Duggan's consistency and Nelson's effort a major positive I would have thought. Nelson screams midfielder to me, I dunno if anyone else sees that or i'm just out to lunch.

Didn't think it was as bad as people are making it out to be. Dominated the clearances and entries but just didn't have enough polish on our kicks, composure with our carry and we're missing a bit of the connection with our forwards.

Thought our forwards structured up quite well which has been one of our issues, so I can definitely see improvement in the team as a whole.

I do. The bloke is 190cm and around 90kg. Freo have picked up many talented players that have been hit with injury in the past. Logue is the jack of all trades but a master of none.... yet. I see him being a 200 gamer for us.
Well I hope you're right, just doesn't seem to have an ounce of footy smarts about him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back