Autopsy Eagles Def Freo by 30 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a believer that coaches can only do so much. They build teams, create culture and, if they're good, they put a group of players into a position to win lots of games including big ones. Fact is, Ross has done that and is still doing that. I've got no problem with RTB at this stage. Ross isn't running into a goal and missing from 20m out. I know there are structure issues, but that's a work in progress clearly

If it was a work in progress you'd expect to see some progress after 6 years of working on it.

I haven't seen any. If anything, it's gotten much worse.

I think you're right about Ross Lyon's effect on the club culture. He's definitely been a positive influence there. But as a tactician it's becoming increasingly evident that he doesn't really have many tricks up his sleeve. He's still trying to win the same way he won 5 years ago. It isn't working and he's got no other ideas.

If it was a work in progress you'd expect to see some progress after 6 years of working on it.

I haven't seen any. If anything, it's gotten much worse.

Well, I'd expect it to get much worse when the fwd 50 has been completely gutted including the removal of the club's greatest goal kicker - not to mention a bunch of kids up the field trying to learn their craft while everybody else is trying to shift to a different style of play than the one that the club has had for the previous 4 or 5 years.

I know your angle ydraw, and I don't entirely disagree (I would have liked Tabs in for example), but how many times did we have good options in the 50 and pick the wrong one? And how many shots at goal can you 'structure' your team to create and miss? It clearly, very clearly, needs work and some personnel injection/growth, but it's not as 'non-existent' as some of us are making out.

According to the Lyon press conference he's very happy with Kersten. Apparently he's doing really well. As for Taberner, well you can't read much into the numbers and there are other things to consider.

ie. He doesn't like Taberner and he's unlikely to get more games

If Ross Lyon actually said that, he's a ******* moron.

How could you be happy with a guy that was a complete spud at Geelong and if anything is worse at Freo.

Third tall or not, he has no presence and has no ability to impact a contest....never has and probably never will.

Mind you, given Lyon's issue with playing anyone inside forward 50, I'm not surprised he's happy with Kersten.

If Tabs is not in next week despite some good recent WAFL games, Ross Lyon I am convinced is not genuine about scoring and let's face it, as much as Tabs is frustrating, he has more presence and creates a contest which is better than what Kersten does.

This total tosser,La dolce vita, thinks we dragged them down to our level. As if the Eagles needed any help there. Average age of 27.5 years and La Dolce Vita thinks they're right for a flag sometime soon. Deluded much.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Don't worry about him...flog of the highest order. His previous account got banned from the main board and the west coast board...pretty sure most of the Eagles supporters here have him on ignore. Claims to hate Fremantle but spends most of his time reading our board and reporting it back to his own.

Pretty sure a Fremantle supporter ran over his cat once (or something equally silly) and has an irrational hatred of all things purple.

He'll be reading this for sure... His last account was. Public enemy number 1 which shortened nicely to Penis.

Well, I'd expect it to get much worse when the fwd 50 has been completely gutted including the removal of the club's greatest goal kicker - not to mention a bunch of kids up the field trying to learn their craft while everybody else is trying to shift to a different style of play than the one that the club has had for the previous 4 or 5 years.

I know your angle ydraw, and I don't entirely disagree (I would have liked Tabs in for example), but how many times did we have good options in the 50 and pick the wrong one? And how many shots at goal can you 'structure' your team to create and miss? It clearly, very clearly, needs work and some personnel injection/growth, but it's not as 'non-existent' as some of us are making out.

Nail on head

Thoughts from the game.

As frustrating a match as you're ever likely to see. The frustration stemmed from
- wanting to beat WCE
- having them covered in many areas around the ground
- good movement and desire let down by fwd 50 connection again and again and again
- the misses!!!!!!
- fwd half structure being nowhere even though it's been a problem all year.

If you take the frustration out of it, it was a pretty positive effort really.
- don't think we'll lose to WCE again for a while
- our half back line caused some great turnover opportunities and some of the transition work was stunning
- positive growth from the kids.

Some learnings
- Ballas is done at Freo
- Our fwd line will not work anytime soon with our current game plan
- we have some serious hunger in this group
- Blakley is going next level.

Really poor game of football.
Not overly upset with anything other than entries into the forward line which were appalling.
The goal kicking accuracy was a freak outlier and anything closer to our norm and we win the game.

The in the back call against Suban made my blood boil, to put us within 2 goals with 10 mins with all the momentum instead it killed any momentum we had.
The loss stings but not as much as a first round exit from finals followed by the recruitment by another couple 34 years olds.
We know where we are and WCE have not much too look forward to.
I look forward to Priddis being wheeled out for the first bounce of the 2025 season, are motorised wheelchairs legal or?

lol.... just lol, good read for a Monday. Whatever helps you sleep at night mate, plus was good seeing the purple army leave the game early

So - a team who kicked 5 goals in a game couldn't get over the line, who'd a thunk it?

Equal scoring shots overall is a positive though, and if they were straighter we would've been much closer and/or won. Inaccuracy's been an old issue of ours among the pile of other forward concerns. I was speaking with a bunch of Freo fans before the game and we all agreed the game might be lost due to the non-existant forward line, and lo and behold that's exactly what happened. With Apeness out, McCarthy suspended and senior ruck injuries/form it was always going to be a stretch - and I understand the need to let Taberner back his performances up. Aside from personnel, the other issues have been highlighted multiple times on this board. It was almost comical listening to the commentators, every time we'd win the ball there'd be literally no one available in the forward half of the ground. Even Pav was chuckling about it but if we'd be challenging for a finals spot we'd be more filthy than we currently are.

Simpson is a smart coach against us. He probably looked at the team sheet and realised we had a superior midfield and greater speed due to our overall younger team. He would have just focused purely on their defenders and half-backs to patiently prepare and position themselves every time a Freo player was going forward with ball in hand. Most of the time they knew exactly where the ball was going to come in from. Aside from that all they had to do was make the most of their limited opportunities in forward and they did. They put in an average performance and made us look like fools.

We're a young side and that will happen, all that fluff from Logue and a few others can be forgiven - what can't be is the forward-structural nightmare that has been created. Ross is nobody's fool and he'll be aware of it, but with the last 6 or so games he needs to experiment in getting it right. If we see the same codswallop from here on in I really won't bother with next year at all.

Was interesting hearing the commentators suggesting a set up like Gellong did with injured Dangerfield. Lols abound with how stupid it is to have "a full forward that sits in the square" as a dynamic attacking strategy.

If Ross Lyon actually said that, he's a ******* moron.

How could you be happy with a guy that was a complete spud at Geelong and if anything is worse at Freo.

Third tall or not, he has no presence and has no ability to impact a contest....never has and probably never will.

Mind you, given Lyon's issue with playing anyone inside forward 50, I'm not surprised he's happy with Kersten.

If Tabs is not in next week despite some good recent WAFL games, Ross Lyon I am convinced is not genuine about scoring and let's face it, as much as Tabs is frustrating, he has more presence and creates a contest which is better than what Kersten does.

According to the AFL stats, Tabs averages 1.6 goals per game at 89% scoring accuracy and averages 9.8 disposals a game
Kersten averages 1.1 goals per game at 55% scoring accuracy and averages 10.3 disposals per game

Tabs also averages 4.4 score involvements per game where Kersten averages 4.0

Tabs can also act as a backup ruck

Preferrencing Kersten over Tabs just doesn't make sense. Kersten wasn't much at Geelong as a third tall and he's substantially less at Freo as a KPF

Lyons selections are simply nonsensical at times

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol.... just lol, good read for a Monday. Whatever helps you sleep at night mate, plus was good seeing the purple army leave the game early
It happened the week before against Port too, Subi crowds like to get home before it gets dark on a Sunday night.

According to the AFL stats, Tabs averages 1.6 goals per game at 89% scoring accuracy and averages 9.8 disposals a game
Kersten averages 1.1 goals per game at 55% scoring accuracy and averages 10.3 disposals per game

Tabs also averages 4.4 score involvements per game where Kersten averages 4.0

Tabs can also act as a backup ruck

Preferrencing Kersten over Tabs just doesn't make sense. Kersten wasn't much at Geelong as a third tall and he's substantially less at Freo as a KPF

Lyons selections are simply nonsensical at times

Kersten over Tabs only makes sense to me if they are intending to cut Tabs loose (or he doesn't yet perform a certain role how they want) or they are going to bring in a genuine key forward during the offseason and are playing Kersten outside of his weight class knowing he is at a significant disadvantage against the key backs - asking him to bring the ball to ground if he can't mark against someone with a half foot more reach.

Then when he is relegated down the order he can play a role more suited to his abilities, which is as a running ground ball forward.

Kersten over Tabs only makes sense to me if they are intending to cut Tabs loose (or he doesn't yet perform a certain role how they want) or they are going to bring in a genuine key forward during the offseason and are playing Kersten outside of his weight class knowing he is at a significant disadvantage against the key backs - asking him to bring the ball to ground if he can't mark against someone with a half foot more reach.

Then when he is relegated down the order he can play a role more suited to his abilities, which is as a running ground ball forward.

I get the strong impression that Lyon doesn't like Taberner. Lyon is noted for having favourites and moving on those he takes a dislike to. I'm actually fully expecting Taberner to be be delisted by season's end and get picked up in the draft by another club...where he will do pretty well

edit: Meanwhile, we will all be looking for a tall forward in the next few drafts because we can't trade one in

Re: B. Hill's disposal - was this as bad at Hawthorn? I really never saw him in enough games there to know.

It just seems some players move over here from other clubs and we see a deterioration in skills, or on the flip side leaving our club and becoming guns elsewhere.

Could just be bitter still.

Hasn't he got a sore leg? It's probably a bit numb from the painkillers.
The main problem are always playing too many sore player in the team , hamling and Johnson look very sore last week.,Add in Lee spurr and mundy I think freo asking the youth to carried the senior instead of the other way round .

Hey, first of all I'm not in any way here to cause arguments or cause a fight or anything like that. I have been intrigued about Freo for a while now and from the outside was always a bit hesitant about coming into the Dockers forum. IMO Freo have some if the best and most exciting talent in the comp, but are getting held back or not being able to play the best of their ability due to one thing: Ross Lyon and his out of date game plan. He's still stuck in 2009, he's 90% contested footy, 10% attack. From the outside, it seems that he would rather lose by 3 goals compared to taking on the game and either winning or losing by 6 or more goals. That's just my opinion. I've listened to talk back radio about him, and nearly all Freo supporters say the same thing every week. I'd love to hear from you guys regarding your coach and his game plan. Again, I'm not trying to cause arguments, and if you like you can come back and bring up the drug saga etc. But all I want is opinions from the die hard Freo supporters.
Cheers

I get the strong impression that Lyon doesn't like Taberner. Lyon is noted for having favourites and moving on those he takes a dislike to. I'm actually fully expecting Taberner to be be delisted by season's end and get picked up in the draft by another club...where he will do pretty well

Me too. Lyon hasn't rated Taberner since day 1. He was subbed off every time he played when the sub rule was still around. Now he just won't play him at all. I think Taberner would do much better at another club under another coach, one which actually values kicking goals rather than just trying to prevent goals.

Your group of premiership contenders struggled to put away a bunch of kids who couldn't hit the side of a barn door.

Lucky Simmo's got all that quality up and coming youf, that must help you sleep at night <3

Hey, first of all I'm not in any way here to cause arguments or cause a fight or anything like that. I have been intrigued about Freo for a while now and from the outside was always a bit hesitant about coming into the Dockers forum. IMO Freo have some if the best and most exciting talent in the comp, but are getting held back or not being able to play the best of their ability due to one thing: Ross Lyon and his out of date game plan. He's still stuck in 2009, he's 90% contested footy, 10% attack. From the outside, it seems that he would rather lose by 3 goals compared to taking on the game and either winning or losing by 6 or more goals. That's just my opinion. I've listened to talk back radio about him, and nearly all Freo supporters say the same thing every week. I'd love to hear from you guys regarding your coach and his game plan. Again, I'm not trying to cause arguments, and if you like you can come back and bring up the drug saga etc. But all I want is opinions from the die hard Freo supporters.
Cheers
There would be many on this board that would agree with you.

I think the view you put forward is rather unfair at this stage. We are fielding a very young, inexperienced team who are probably doing much better than many expected (although patchy as most young teams are). Some of the problems that have plagued us are much improved (again still patchy). Our transition from defence is quite aggressive, with high use of the corridor, and our ability to do that successfully is improving.

At best our forwards need a lot of development and at worst we don't have the forwards we need on our list (probably a bit of both). Our system to enter the 50 and work within the 50 is horrid. Whether Ross deals badly with this, or whether we are in transition remains to be seen (maybe a bit of both).

Cheers

From the outside it might seem that way but it is incorrect. Ross has altered the game plan but the players are incapable of carrying it out consistently at this stage of their development. With where we are in our rebuild, it is too early to make any judgement on Ross or the game plan and none should be made for another 12 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back