Autopsy Eagles defeat Swans by 34

Remove this Banner Ad

Not criticism, more reality...he has given everything he has to give... there is no more improvement here...here, there is no more improvement ( you have to say it like the chopper movie bit...)

Since Ronke holds the record for goals kicked with tackles made, is it possible he might have more to give than he’s producing at the moment?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

dont agree
We lack a lot of talls. Alliir is best as a third tall. intercepting. he is played as first or second tall and today as ruck. i like him as third tall/intercepting take the game on type. Lack of talls in the ruck and up front have pushed him outside his comfort zone. good for his development. im not as negative as others on this forum. we are down. yes. but we are young and developing. im optimistic for our future. a couple of academy players with skill and pace coming in next year. im happy as a swans fan

Good game, despite the margin it felt like the two late goals in the first we kicked decided the game. This year isn't worth much anyway, get a good first rounder this draft, you guys will be hard to beat with Franklin and Daniher as your two main targets next year.

Any chance of lending us McGovern? Just a question!

Was a huge reason you won.

Please try someone else, Hayward is lost at the moment. He needs some Intro club or whatever is being played at the lower level to rebuild the confidence he lost when he got his jaw smashed against Carlton. Hayward was one of the brightest young players going around, but right now is taking a spot he does not deserve.

Yes, easy to forget he is the 11th fastest player in the AFL era to reach 50 goals.

Given the year that this is, selections to improve the side are not the main focus. With no seconds footy of any real note, we need to alternate some selections to actually see what we have got. No use alternating with average players who we basically have a fix on...Ronke, Gray,Cunningham.....we need to assess the Footes, Amarty's Warners, etc and our only option this year really is to do it at the level. I am not sure about the argument they need to earn it, I don't really see how they earn it this year other than behind the scenes where we cant see. My view though is they need to get some exposure for the benefit of our future.

I did not mind Melican and Clarke coming in because they were experienced players who had not had their chance this season. I feel they will want to have a look at the older squad players first. Then the younger players more likely to get selected later in the season.

Though I don't think there will be mass changes after ever loss. Or large amounts of young players being debuted. It is still round 6 against the Premiers.

I did not mind Melican and Clarke coming in because they were experienced players who had not had their chance this season. I feel they will want to have a look at the older squad players first. Then the younger players more likely to get selected later in the season.

Though I don't think there will be mass changes after ever loss. Or large amounts of young players being debuted. It is still round 6 against the Premiers.

They were okay, just have to question what the point is? Why not play Gould? We need to use this year for what it is.

Good game, despite the margin it felt like the two late goals in the first we kicked decided the game. This year isn't worth much anyway, get a good first rounder this draft, you guys will be hard to beat with Franklin and Daniher as your two main targets next year.

Yes, I thought those goals gave you belief and the game turned from there. Franklin and Daniher, on the other hand, is a pipe dream.

They were okay, just have to question what the point is? Why not play Gould? We need to use this year for what it is.
Maybe because he isn't ready?

This is a guy who was told to get into shape at the end of last year because he wasn't up to standard to be worth drafting. That he took that on the chin and made improvements is great, but it is possible that the club feel that he isn't yet at a point where he can run out a full game at AFL level.

While I understand the desire to be able to see the new players in action, they need to be justifying their selection. You may think there are players in the current 22 who ought to be dropped due to poor performance, but you only do that when there are good performances from their potential replacements that justify the swap. Hard for any of us on here to make any judgements on that without being able to watch them play or train.

Maybe because he isn't ready?

This is a guy who was told to get into shape at the end of last year because he wasn't up to standard to be worth drafting. That he took that on the chin and made improvements is great, but it is possible that the club feel that he isn't yet at a point where he can run out a full game at AFL level.

While I understand the desire to be able to see the new players in action, they need to be justifying their selection. You may think there are players in the current 22 who ought to be dropped due to poor performance, but you only do that when there are good performances from their potential replacements that justify the swap. Hard for any of us on here to make any judgements on that without being able to watch them play or train.

Doesn't have to be him, but any one of Gould, Stephens (who played senior SANFL last year in the guts), or Warner would be fine. It just seems these selections are "lets try to not lose by too much" rather than building for 2021 and beyond. We aint making the finals, lets build. Now I'm not saying play all of them but 1-2 of them is a nice mix, and they can swap in and out.

Doesn't have to be him, but any one of Gould, Stephens (who played senior SANFL last year in the guts), or Warner would be fine. It just seems these selections are "lets try to not lose by too much" rather than building for 2021 and beyond. We aint making the finals, lets build. Now I'm not saying play all of them but 1-2 of them is a nice mix, and they can swap in and out.
Part of what has to be done this year is work out which of the players who are coming off contract get another year on the list. We have a very long list of players who don't yet have a contract for 2021, a list which includes Melican, Grey and Clarke who were three of our four "ins" this week. Just as important as getting games in to our good young players is sorting out which of the players who have been on the list for a few seasons now or who have been brought in as mature aged players are worth persisting with.

I would be very surprised if we didn't see some games from all three of Gould, Stephens and Warner this season, but selecting them before they have earned the call up isn't necessarily fast tracking their development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of what has to be done this year is work out which of the players who are coming off contract get another year on the list. We have a very long list of players who don't yet have a contract for 2021, a list which includes Melican, Grey and Clarke who were three of our four "ins" this week. Just as important as getting games in to our good young players is sorting out which of the players who have been on the list for a few seasons now or who have been brought in as mature aged players are worth persisting with.

I would be very surprised if we didn't see some games from all three of Gould, Stephens and Warner this season, but selecting them before they have earned the call up isn't necessarily fast tracking their development.

I get that view, I just can't agree sorry, I'd rather get games into players that will be here and will contribute long term. Lets be real is a Clarke type really one we need long term? Grey should be playing as an inside mid (I wouldn't be against him as an inside mid)

A lot of talk about Stephens, Gould and Warner who come to our club as relative unknowns without much chance to prove themselves.

But what about Foot and Wicks? Both really impressed in the NEAFL last year, both could play a role in our side. Foot as that Ronke/Gray/Taylor role, and Wicks as that small forward who can rotate through the mids (a la Papley.)

Feel like these types of selections would serve both purposes of injecting some youth and energy into the side as debutants, as well as being less unknown than the three recent draftees and kids who we need to know can play or not.

A lot of talk about Stephens, Gould and Warner who come to our club as relative unknowns without much chance to prove themselves.

But what about Foot and Wicks? Both really impressed in the NEAFL last year, both could play a role in our side. Foot as that Ronke/Gray/Taylor role, and Wicks as that small forward who can rotate through the mids (a la Papley.)

Feel like these types of selections would serve both purposes of injecting some youth and energy into the side as debutants, as well as being less unknown than the three recent draftees and kids who we need to know can play or not.

Wouldn't mind either one play next week actually. Not the worst shout actually.

The game went how I thought it would go,

My favourite part was the commentary talking about the Grand Final moving to WA.

"Gee knowing your going to be hosting the grand final must be a big advantage." "Yeah". "Yep".

Idiots.

My favourite part was the commentary talking about the Grand Final moving to WA.

"Gee knowing your going to be hosting the grand final must be a big advantage." "Yeah". "Yep".

Idiots.

In fairness, I don't see how West Coast couldn't be in the grand final this year.

Not after they just played such AMAZING footy and Nic Nat played the greatest ruckman game in AFL/VFL history.

The only hurdle may be Shuey's injury. Btw did you hear? He was out for most of the game after he did his hamstring

Wouldn't mind either one play next week actually. Not the worst shout actually.

This rebuild will last an awfully long time Unless we:

- uncover another A grade mid or two from recent drafts. Rowbottom is coming good. Florent is not A grade and won’t be unless his defensive game improves. If McInerney continues to improve, there is something there but it is not enough to cover for JPK and Mitchell.

- uncover two more key defenders organically. Not happening! We simply don’t have the cattle.

Then we can TOP up with another elite KPF and perhaps another mid.

I am still trying to get over the fact that we let Nanks go. And Mitchell. I am also confused by the trading of list cloggers such as Taylor, Thurlow, arguably Clarke and the list goes on. I am being patient with Gray. The coachesare clearly struggling to develop mature players. Other teams seem to be better at this. All in all I support recent comments that our recruitment has been poor of late and we will pay for years.

That said, throw Reid and Franklin back into the team and watch Hayward play his original role well. And watch Heeney wreak havoc. Ditto for ruck and KPD. The team lacks structure because it’s entire backbone is missing FFS. We are too hard on the players that are playing band aid roles.

Idiots.
Sometimes they say the quiet part out loud without realising it.

Theres a lot of requests / demands that we play debutants.. The Swans have debuted maybe more players than any other club the last couple of seasons. Horse has said in the past that 'they need to be ready,, that to throw them in when not ready can damage their development'.
With the injuries at the moment to All our talls, which as Joycerema just said 'is our backbone, and has destroyed our structure',, to debut players now could be like feeding them to the lions.
Haywood, Blakey, McCartin (pre-injury) are struggling because the oppos best defenders are taking them.. No Buddy or Reid filters further down. Same goes for Allirr, COR and the entire defence. The no ruck puts extra pressure on McInerney, Florent and Rowbum - who are doing ok, but would be much better off if the ruck contest was even. Basically all the inexperienced players are suffering at the loss of our experienced Talls.
Don't forget that McLean and McInerney (who have played less than 10 games) are getting a lot of game time / development
In saying all this.. I can see a Foot, Ling, Wicks, Stoddart, Amartey or Maibaum get a game real soon.. and if we have Buddy/Reid and McCartin, Sinkers, Brand all playing later in the season, then there's opportunities for Gould, Stephens, Warner etc

ps.. No team in the comp would have won their last game with the equivalent injuries that we have

Theres a lot of requests / demands that we play debutants.. The Swans have debuted maybe more players than any other club the last couple of seasons. Horse has said in the past that 'they need to be ready,, that to throw them in when not ready can damage their development'.
With the injuries at the moment to All our talls, which as Joycerema just said 'is our backbone, and has destroyed our structure',, to debut players now could be like feeding them to the lions.
Haywood, Blakey, McCartin (pre-injury) are struggling because the oppos best defenders are taking them.. No Buddy or Reid filters further down. Same goes for Allirr, COR and the entire defence. The no ruck puts extra pressure on McInerney, Florent and Rowbum - who are doing ok, but would be much better off if the ruck contest was even. Basically all the inexperienced players are suffering at the loss of our experienced Talls.
Don't forget that McLean and McInerney (who have played less than 10 games) are getting a lot of game time / development
In saying all this.. I can see a Foot, Ling, Wicks, Stoddart, Amartey or Maibaum get a game real soon.. and if we have Buddy/Reid and McCartin, Sinkers, Brand all playing later in the season, then there's opportunities for Gould, Stephens, Warner etc

ps.. No team in the comp would have won their last game with the equivalent injuries that we have

Our injuries are no worse than most clubs

One is a 33 year old forward , most clubs dont bother with them but yeah he is a key player if hes ever healthy again
Reid would be delisted at most clubs
McCartin was playing like rubbish
Brand is what a 3 game hawks reject, not established 22
Sinclair everyone wanted dropped anyway
Naismith looked ok but is where you could be good money he would be , has he got to 30'games yet
Knoll wouldn't get a game at EB games

the fact you are right and we cant win with those outs is the issue, the team isnt very good,but its not true other teams dont cope with similar or even worse

the expectations of this current team should be bottom 4 side, we cant do more repair work until the off season, I reckon the sooner people expect patches of good footy at best, the odd surprise win when the team is expected to lose,the easier it is

I agree dont rush every kid in, but at the same time i think its pointless patching the team up with guys who show little when they play, i wont name names, but there 5 at least yesterday why bother

One is a 33 year old forward , most clubs dont bother with them but yeah he is a key player if hes ever healthy again
Naismith looked ok but is where you could be good money he would be , has he got to 30'games yet

the fact you are right and we cant win with those outs is the issue, the team isnt very good,but its not true other teams dont cope with similar or even worse

the expectations of this current team should be bottom 4 side, we cant do more repair work until the off season, I reckon the sooner people expect patches of good footy at best, the odd surprise win when the team is expected to lose,the easier it is

I agree dont rush every kid in, but at the same time i think its pointless patching the team up with guys who show little when they play, i wont name names, but there 5 at least yesterday why bother
Spot on , there no good when fit (Take buddy away from this ) but vital when injured

I get that view, I just can't agree sorry, I'd rather get games into players that will be here and will contribute long term. Lets be real is a Clarke type really one we need long term? Grey should be playing as an inside mid (I wouldn't be against him as an inside mid)

Clarke had a pretty good game. 4 tackles, 14 disposals, 9 contested possessions, disposal at 92%.
Went hard at it hassling and getting at their players in possession.
I'd be keeping him in the team.

Dawson, AA, Ronke, Florent, McInerney all 60% or under DE. We cannot possibly win a game like that. Florent had a complete mare. We need him to have a great game to be a chance of winning atm I think.

Agree on Gray but I think it will only happen much if JPK, Hewett or Parker are out. He's cover - and money well spent IMO. We need depth and I think we could see clear upside from how he's going atm. He's no numpty - has form on the board at Port as a productive AFL player.

Another few positives:
Blakey at least turned up.
Rowbottom looking good to improve.
McLean competes real hard...
McInerney is still very young but starting to show something.
Um...

McCartin to come in next week at KPD is a positive.

Good to see a positive slant on things in BF for a change. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back