Eagles Dodge Drug Bullet

Remove this Banner Ad

What an odd thing to be proud of.

And if these players purchased the stuff, it is a violation of both the WADA Code and AFL rules. Regardless of what happened afterwards.

"Stewart said his diligence over imported supplements had prevented at least three Eagles players from facing suspensions."

Good god what a flog. Talking himself up without thinking things through.

On second point, I stopped giving a s**t about the nuances of the drug rules long ago but I'm fairly sure that is not the case. It seems this is a case of tainted supplements in which the banned substances were not listed on the ingredients, which is a massive problem in the unregulated supplements industry. You'd only be done if the substances were listed.

If I was an athlete who bought a souvlaki and for some reason it had been taken to a get injected with clenbuterol and IG by a dodgy chiropractor wth a coke problem, and for some reason in a bout of paranoia about my equally dodgy looking souvlaki I spent 1000s of dollars getting it tested, I can't be done just for buying a souvlaki. Forgive the ridiculous souvlaki analogy, I'm very hungry.

Good headline on the article too. Nod to a few ex-Eagles and their buddy John Kizon perhaps?

What an odd thing to be proud of.

And if these players purchased the stuff, it is a violation of both the WADA Code and AFL rules. Regardless of what happened afterwards.

I would imagine only if the banned substance was actually stated and there would also have to be intent to take or supply.

Given their due diligence - I don't see how any prosecuting authority could mount an argument a player ever intended to take or supply a banned substance.

This is a good news story about strong protocols being established and followed within a professional sporting environment.

Hmmm, not good.
As I've said before, I think this kind of thing is pretty wide spread in the AFL, not on the same scale as the Dons, but there just the same.
It won't surprise me should more of this kind of thing surface, including my club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't really know enough details on either case.

For Lees, perhaps the banned substance was in the stated ingredients whereas the Eagles supplements didn't have a banned substance listed - hence them getting it tested.

Another factor going for the Eagles players was the club sending it to be tested, and this seemingly being part of procedure. If the intent is only to take it after being confirmed safe acts as a nice circuit breaker.

Correct.

Shows that "some" players are actively seeking any advantage...outside of any club control.
I don't think there was any doubt of that Pazza. If they got caught, they copped their whack. As BlackCat says - if they got caught, they are stupid. What happened at Essendon was unprecedented where they decided to take it in-house.

The bit that stands out for me is:

“I can’t speak for all of the players but the ones I have spoken to have no sympathy for the Essendon players,” he said.

“The AFL does education sessions on illicit substances, performance enhancing substances and harassment. The players are very well educated.”

I cant imagine the players at other clubs being of too differing an opinion...

I thought intent was enough?
There was no intent. There were no banned substances on the label. It differs to the Lee case because he was importing banned steroids. There's a difference between importing a banned substance and just not knowing its banned and importing a seemingly innocent substance with no sign of a band substance then finding out after going through the correct protocols

There was no intent. There were no banned substances on the label. It differs to the Lee case because he was importing banned steroids. There's a difference between importing a banned substance and just not knowing its banned and importing a seemingly innocent substance with no sign of a band substance then finding out after going through the correct protocols

But they could've known it contained a banned substance.

But they could've known it contained a banned substance.
If they knew it did then Id say Stewart also would have known and wouldn't have bothered to proceed with the $900ea test. That and as unlikely as it may seem, AFL players aren't that stupid to knowingly import a banned substance. WAFL players dont get anywhere near the same sort of education as AFL players do.

"Stewart said his diligence over imported supplements had prevented at least three Eagles players from facing suspensions."

Good god what a flog. Talking himself up without thinking things through.

On second point, I stopped giving a s**t about the nuances of the drug rules long ago but I'm fairly sure that is not the case. It seems this is a case of tainted supplements in which the banned substances were not listed on the ingredients, which is a massive problem in the unregulated supplements industry. You'd only be done if the substances were listed.

If I was an athlete who bought a souvlaki and for some reason it had been taken to a get injected with clenbuterol and IG by a dodgy chiropractor wth a coke problem, and for some reason in a bout of paranoia about my equally dodgy looking souvlaki I spent 1000s of dollars getting it tested, I can't be done just for buying a souvlaki. Forgive the ridiculous souvlaki analogy, I'm very hungry.

Good headline on the article too. Nod to a few ex-Eagles and their buddy John Kizon perhaps?

Why so bitter?

If they knew it did then Id say Stewart also would have known and wouldn't have bothered to proceed with the $900ea test. That and as unlikely as it may seem, AFL players aren't that stupid to knowingly import a banned substance. WAFL players dont get anywhere near the same sort of education as AFL players do.

More importantly if they were intending to take a supplement that they knew contained a banned substance why even bother to give it to Stewart to check? He just stop them taking it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back