Traded Eagles Pick 50+2018 1st for Gold Coast Picks21,26,37+2018 2nd

Remove this Banner Ad

Or Weedons.

But you could say that any year about any picks. If you waste your picks, any trade that adds picks will look like a mistake.

I was sceptical about this swap when it was discussed in connection with the Digs, but the addition of the Suns' 2018 second-rounder makes this deal acceptable to me. Who knows - WC might come back in 2018 armed with that pick and find a way to upgrade it back into the late teens.

It really all boils down to how early the outgoing first-rounder ends up being. If it's pick 5, that will obviously sting. If it's pick 13-14, not so much.
That is the real concern, but stands independant of the trade I guess.

WC have a shocking 2nd round pick history over a 10 year period, slipping way below the average rate of success for picks in that round.

But, there is likely a strategy involved here and possibly less risky than Weedon, Lamb, Notte or Rotham type players are the focus.

Last edited:
WC needn’t fear their new 2018 second round pick being any worse than about 22.
Yeah. That's the crucial part. It's not like we've just checked out of 2018. It's a pick downgrade from mid first (hopefully) to early second.

In return, we've added three second-rounders in 2017.

And the outgoing pick 50 in 2017 is therefore of negligible value.

Would WC have used pick 50 this year as their sixth pick?

Maybe not. So it basically becomes a freebie.

The whole trade is about the 2018 downgrade.
Yep, in fact we probably included it mainly because the AFL will reject a pick swap that is too stacked in one teams favor. Plus GC may have a late academy pick in mind.

It's pretty much a freeby.

Not sure there's a heap of value in the 25+ range this year but WC backing themselves to either take some players or upgrade those picks for a better pick this year.

Should look to on-trade a few for Pick 16, Carlton can then use one of those selections to grab Kennedy.

Not sure there's a heap of value in the 25+ range this year but WC backing themselves to either take some players or upgrade those picks for a better pick this year.

Should look to on-trade a few for Pick 16, Carlton can then use one of those selections to grab Kennedy.
Or WC should just try to pinch Kennedy?

Not sure about this one. West Coast could well fall in a big hole next year. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a top 6 pick in a super draft.

Bold call that may come back to bite them in the arse.

Big risk considering their isn't a lot of talent in the second round of this draft.

Obviously Eagles think we will lose Gaff next year and get a first round compo for him

Yeah crazy. Think that was an AFL special. Rockliff got exactly the same.

I'd expect Gaff and Rockliff to be on similar contracts.

Compo might even be phased out next year come to think of it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given everyone raves about the 2018 draft and shits on the 2017 draft I don't understand our want to have multiple picks this year.

We haven't used a top 10 pick since Gaff (had 6 which we traded to get Sheed at 11 and Yeo) and we're a chance to have one next year. I'd have been more comfortable trading this year's first pick.

Obviously Eagles think we will lose Gaff next year and get a first round compo for him
Or we hope to package the Suns' second-rounder (early 20s presumably) with a player and seek to trade back into the first round.

Maybe the Suns will give us their first-rounder for pick 22 and Tom Lamb.

hmmm if we finish top 8 next year, then its an ok deal
If WC finish top 8 and GC finish bottom 4, it's a clear win for WC.

It would mean WC add three second-rounders in 2017, making the outgoing pick 50 redundant, for a downgrade from 14ish to 20ish in 2018. That's fine.

If Eagles fall apart makes sense for GCS.
If Eagles mid range then a win for them as GCS 2nd rd next year will be low.

Exactly. Gold Coast play their first 10 games away from home due to the Commonwealth Games.

Eagles next year will actually have a ruckman plus the 2016 draftees who played zero games this season plus five picks inside the first two rounds plus Ah chee.

Alot of younger and faster midfielders replacing Priddis and Mitchell.

Eagles wont slide much or at all next season and finish mid table IMO.

Exactly. Gold Coast play their first 10 games away from home due to the Commonwealth Games.

Eagles next year will actually have a ruckman plus the 2016 draftees who played zero games this season plus five picks inside the first two rounds plus Ah chee.

Alot of younger and faster midfielders replacing Priddis and Mitchell.

Eagles wont slide much or at all next season and finish mid table IMO.
Playing in Cairns/Townsville and the Gabba wont be too bad for them while Metricon is out of action.

Depends if the new Stadium is favourable as a home ground to how we end up in 2018 to a degree .

Pleased with the draft pick swap , need to wait and see with our drafting though I think a few WA players will be a good chance ...even Patmore earlier then expected but i'm guessing .

I don't think WC will slide that much and should therefore win this trade.

The interesting questions will be how well Naitanui comes back from his knee and how well can WC play at Perth Stadium. I believe the new stadium will have similar dimensions to the MCG which WC haven't played to well on, with some suggesting "the web" doesn't work on wider grounds.

The Web is Dead.

Just hope Simpson realises this as well.

Playing in Cairns/Townsville and the Gabba wont be too bad for them while Metricon is out of action.

Playing in Townsville and Cairns is not far off being the equivalent of playing in Sydney and Melbourne from a travel perspective.

Given everyone raves about the 2018 draft and shits on the 2017 draft I don't understand our want to have multiple picks this year.

We haven't used a top 10 pick since Gaff (had 6 which we traded to get Sheed at 11 and Yeo) and we're a chance to have one next year. I'd have been more comfortable trading this year's first pick.

These statements tend to be a little weird though. 2008 was talked up as a super draft and 2009 a weak draft, while in the end they reasonably comparable.

Stronger drafts tends to improve the quality from 10-20 and beyond rather than the quality of those first ten picks. With a few exceptions in the 2000's with very weak top tens. A pick in the early 20's could be of similar value to our pick 13 this year.

We might lose Gaff to free agency and get a pick tied to our ladder position anyway. Which would see us by back into the first round or end of it at the very least.

Are they? Fyfe and Martin are awesome but I'd still take 2008 over 2009 pretty easily.

We turned 7, 22, 23 into Sheppard, Weedon, Stevens in 2009 and 2, 18, 20 into Naitanui, Shuey, Swift in 2008.

I know two fifths of * all about the upcoming draft, but we seem to be the only club actively trying to accumulate picks in the 20s. It's unusual.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back