Traded Eagles Pick 50+2018 1st for Gold Coast Picks21,26,37+2018 2nd

Remove this Banner Ad

What If ?
Fremantle take multiple Second Rd pick with this year second Rd .
Tim Kelly instead of pick 2 Brayshaw /Cerra , Bailey Fritsch/Liam Ryan , Zac Langdon and this year GC second Rd .

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...st-coasts-recruiting-department-ng-b88751211z
Veteran recruiting guru Scott Clayton has joined West Coast in a significant boost to the club’s list management plans.

It is understood Clayton, the inaugural Gold Coast list manager, will join the existing Eagles recruiting staff rather than become part of any shake-up of the department.

Staff were told of the appointment this morning, with Clayton to be based in Melbourne.

Clayton left the Suns after last year’s national draft as the club opted for change in several key football positions.

Gee I am not sure about Clayton. Is he good at his job?

With Clayton going to the Eagles, this trade goes from looking incredibly poor to slightly suss.
Anyway it was signed off at the time so well done Eagles.
Hopefully we can get some Gold Coast bargains this year.
You do realise at the time with West Coast considered to be bottom 4 and GC on the improve, everyone was questioning why West Coast would do such a trade rather than the other way around?

You do realise at the time with West Coast considered to be bottom 4 and GC on the improve, everyone was questioning why West Coast would do such a trade rather than the other way around?

Gold Coast had just booted their coach and Ablett had skipped town. I don't think bringing in Weller, Holman etc. was topping up for a flag. Plus they had to play all over the place for the first half of the year. West Coast had lost a lot of experience but still had plenty of quality. Not everyone would have been in the Robert Walls boat surely.

This trade is probably going to serve as one of the first cautionary tales about future picks in this uncertain era. When you're relying on another team to finish low you're always exposing yourself to a fair bit of risk (and worse its risk that you have no control over). I personally wouldn't want my club bringing in future first rounders from other clubs unless you're doing it on the basis they are going to finish pretty high (eg trading with a GWS type).

I can understand why Gold Coast made the call though. The draft this year was rated as a very strong one and no Eagles were not expected to finish that high by most. If Eagles had had a disaster year we may have been sitting here lauding them. Still at least pick 18 this year probably has more value than an equivalent pick last year so lets see what they can do with it. They may yet recover from this with some good drafting/trading.

This trade demonstrates how lucrative a gamble can be from the West Coast perspective. Backed themselves in and picked up 3 second rounders for free essentially.

Alternatively from the Gold Coast perspective it also highlights how dangerously perilous trading future picks can be.

This was crazy at the time now it's just insane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Clayton going to the Eagles, this trade goes from looking incredibly poor to slightly suss.
Anyway it was signed off at the time so well done Eagles.
Hopefully we can get some Gold Coast bargains this year.
I actually thought it might have violated the AFL's rules at the time, but because it was a future pick, WC finishing bottom 2 would have had the points differential within an acceptable range.

Enjoy your forthcoming surplus of quick, skinny players who get injured a lot. Cherish the 5 years you have with McGovern because you won't be getting another player like him with Clayton in your recruiting management.

Apparently he is only doing the East coast recruiting so at least he won't be given unfetted reins.

Allowing Clayton who was already told he was not required and had a horrible history with recruiting to run last years trading is an indictment on my club.

The result? paid massive overs for Weller and gave away 4 picks for a 2 pick upgrade, supposedly to give it to Freo for Weller. Clayton didn’t even check with Freo before making the deal. He is either incompetent or crooked, either way I’m glad he’s finally gone.

Evans etc can’t blame that drafting debacle on the previous administration.

That having been said, it’s done, nothing can do but learn from it.

This deal made no sense then and it still doesn't. A suns poster said to me we didnt need the picks hence the trade. But they are valuable picks. Could have gotten something for it

I actually thought it might have violated the AFL's rules at the time, but because it was a future pick, WC finishing bottom 2 would have had the points differential within an acceptable range.

Says it all really. We would have to finish bottom 2 for the trade to even be legal if done in fixed picks.

Why did we recruit Clayton again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back