Resource Eagles Player Ratings 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

BeornJ

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I will be updating this table throughout the season.

I use the website wheeloratings.com to get the rankings, and then colour co-ordinate to demonstrate players who are ranked elite, above-average, average, and below-average in their positions.

All players

1713745961959.png

Players 24 and under ranking for their age group.

1713746402399.png

Last edited:
Round One:

Elite: 0
Above Average: 5
Average: 8
Below Average: 10

Notes:
  • Ginbey is being ranked as a midfielder even though it is clear he didn't play a lot of midfield minutes in round one.
  • Jamieson is being ranked as a key forward when it should have been Key Defender, or Ruck
  • Chesser ranked quite high considering he only played a half
  • Reid is already ranked as above average for a midfielder, and is currently the second highest first year player (not counting mature recruits)
  • Our KPPs stunk in round one, hopefully we see a quick improvement.

1710721487074.png

Round Five

Elite:
Above Average: 5
Average:
Below Average: 17

Notes:

• Waterman and Yeo are our two elite players after round 5.
  • Reid is far and away the best ranked player for his year group. His average ranking points is 11.58, the next best is Will Graham with 9.10 (however, Graham has only played 2 games). He is also the 2nd ranked teenager (behind Sheezel). Ginbey is the fifth ranked teenager.

1713151254740.png

1713151226787.png

Last edited:
Round Six

Elite:
Above Average: 6
Average: 6
Below Average: 16

Notes:

• Sheed is ranked as below average but this is after 10 or so minutes of play, so
  • Reid is the 28th ranked midfielder, and with an average ranking points of 14 he is nearly double the next best player of his year group (Will Graham at 8.63)
  • Ginbey is flying under the radar but is the 4th best rated player in his age group, and is averaging the most contested possessions in his age group.

1713746432542.png

Players 24 and under

1713746446690.png

Round Six

Elite:
Above Average: 6
Average: 6
Below Average: 16

Notes:

• Sheed is ranked as below average but this is after 10 or so minutes of play, so
  • Reid is the 28th ranked midfielder, and with an average ranking points of 14 he is nearly double the next best player of his year group (Will Graham at 8.63)
  • Ginbey is flying under the radar but is the 4th best rated player in his age group, and is averaging the most contested possessions in his age group.

View attachment 1966975

Players 24 and under

View attachment 1966976
Thanks BeornJ is there any reason why Hough is so low. I think that most people on this site would have really rated his season so far?

Thanks BeornJ is there any reason why Hough is so low. I think that most people on this site would have really rated his season so far?
Sheppard used to be rated really lowly as well.

The main reason is that it is hard to quantify 'shut-down' roles.

Stats don't reflect taggers keeping oppo players to career low numbers, or defenders keeping their opponents quiet/goal-less.

Also, just to be clear, this resource is not my personal rating of players, it is simply organising data of 'player ratings' of eagles players after each round.

According to AFL, this is how players get points towards their ratings:

'
Which acts a player makes on the field contribute to his score?
Every time a player is involved in a passage of play he will have the chance to accrue points. But rather than his score being a simple tally of his possessions, marks, tackles, hit-outs, free-kicks and scores, his performance will be measured using a system called Equity Ratings. The system determines where and how a player influences a contest and whether the player's effort then results in a positive result for his team. Equity Ratings includes what coaches love to describe as "pressure acts". As a result, players are rewarded for interrupting opposition passages of play as well as setting up scores for their own team.

So as you can see. Taggers and lock down defenders are a real flaw of this rating system but to be fair, it would be very difficult to quantify it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back