Autopsy Eagles Post Match: We’re on to the Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Great sides in Europe have great depth.. championships and cups have been won with great players sitting on the pine or not even on the team sheet.. we have this tendency of just wanting to get players out there based on reputation.. time to change it up.. play players when necessary and in positions that win games.

They don't like it.. stiff s**t. Deal with it.
In Europe they play a different sport with a different amount of games every year.

So Howe gets pinged for a 50 for a little hold whilst WC constantly creep over the mark and umps completely ignore it. :think:

The amount of times they blocked our players when going for a mark was driving me crazy. Also I counted at least 2 times when we were awarded a free kick for HTB and they didn’t give it back straight away. No 50.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

After a promising start in the first term, Collingwood squandered their momentum over the following three quarters to fail comfortably against the reigning premiers West Coast. The Magpies attempted to replicate the style of play that the Eagles like to play, which is an uncontested, high-possession and marking game which became less effective as the game wore on.

Collingwood had a remarkable number of stats in their favour without getting the points. The Woods were +52 for disposals (384 - 332), +53 for handballs (165 - 112), contested possessions were +8 (134 - 126), uncontested possessions were won by a differential of +40 (246 - 206), while marks had a differential of +18 (115 - 97), with further gains in Contested Marks by +4 (14 - 10), +14 for uncontested marks (101 - 87), and Marks Inside 50 were +2 (14 - 12). Hit-outs were won by +23 (42 - 19), stoppage clearances were +3 (25 - 22), while tackles had a positive differential of +3 (41 - 38), and Tackles Inside 50 had a positive differential of +2 (9 - 7). West Coast had their advantages with centre clearances by +3 (15 - 12), kicks by +1 (220 - 219), and Inside 50’s by +8 (50 - 42). Clearances were even (37 each).

Dayne Beams (26 disposals @ 69%, 202 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 4 marks, 6 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50’s, 2 Rebound 50’s & 1 goal) started well, before dropping off. Taylor Adams (26 disposals @ 65%, 369 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 4 marks, 3 goal assists, 6 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 centre clearances & 7 Inside 50’s) had a solid return in his first game of the season. Adam Treloar (25 disposals @ 64%, 230 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions,8 marks, 2 tackles, 6 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 Inside 50’s & 2 goals) had an imposing second term with two majors, but was fairly quiet outside of that quarter. Steele Sidebottom (25 disposals @ 88%, 352 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 7 marks, 4 tackles, 3 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50’s, 4 Rebound 50’s & 1 goal) had a solid second half after a slow start. Chris Mayne (24 disposals @ 75%, 241 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 8 marks, 2 tackles, 8 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 2 Inside 50’s) played his role. Brodie Grundy (22 disposals @ 73%, 13 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 40 hit-outs, 4 marks, 5 tackles, 4 score involvements, 11 clearances, 5 centre clearances, 6 stoppage clearances & 2 Rebound 50’s) was the only player in the midfield group that cleared the ball regularly, while Scott Pendlebury (21 disposals @ 81%, 256 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 4 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 6 Inside 50’s) got the footy forward quite a lot with a below-average number of disposals.

Brayden Maynard (23 disposals @ 83%, 342 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 11 marks, 4 tackles, 5 score involvements, 2 clearances & 3 Inside 50’s) was Collingwood’s most prolific defender for the evening. James Aish (21 disposals @ 76%, 156 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 6 marks, 2 score involvements & 5 Rebound 50’s) found the footy, without using it productively. Jeremy Howe (21 disposals @ 90%, 328 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 7 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 7 score involvements & 7 Rebound 50’s) competed well at marking contests, and contributed to the team’s ball movement on transition. Tom Langdon (19 disposals @ 95%, 126 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 6 marks & 4 score involvements) had a mellow game and Darcy Moore (17 disposals @ 88%, 284 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 2 score involvements, 2 Inside 50’s & 3 Rebound 50’s) managed to overcome an ankle injury to play out the game.

Jordan De Goey (18 disposals @ 67%, 353 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 7 marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 3 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 7 score involvements & 3 goals) was the only scoring threat for the majority of the game, especially in the first term when he started like a house on fire as did the team. Brody Mihocek (13 disposals @ 77%, 279 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 9 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 2 score involvements & 1 goal) provided a secondary target on an otherwise dour night. No other forwards worthy of a mention.
Collingwood’s next game will be on April 12 against the Western Bulldogs at the MCG. More tackling, more clearances and Inside 50’s from the midfield division will be required to ensure that the contest is made into a forward-half game that is played on Collingwood’s terms.
Cool and thorough stats run down and does give some good insight.

But you cant measure intent. Adams stats look like he had a similar game to Sidebottom, Beams and Treloar, but he was willing to attack the game with courage and wasnt packing his dacks about the task infront of him.

A bit of talk about putting the lid back on.
My question is
Who the **** took it off?
Keep the lid off I say. Problems arise when the lid goes back on. These guys are awesome when they've got their confidence up and are middle of the road when they lose a bit of confidence and play safe.

I thought your guys had a great first quarter. You would have scored heavily against a side that isn't so well organised down back and possibly should have anyway with some better goal kicking.

I think on our side we just play with a lot of discipline in our structures. Eventually we force some errors and punish the opposition on the turnover. It creates some risk aversion and brings our intercept talls right into play. Barrass seems to be a good match up for Cox and I think that really hurts you guys in terms of getting the ball to more dangerous spots i50.

It was a great contest and pretty clearly the skill level of both sides is a cut above the majority of what we have seen around the league this season.

You guys will be right there at the pointy end again no doubt. Good luck from here.

I thought your guys had a great first quarter. You would have scored heavily against a side that isn't so well organised down back and possibly should have anyway with some better goal kicking.

I think on our side we just play with a lot of discipline in our structures. Eventually we force some errors and punish the opposition on the turnover. It creates some risk aversion and brings our intercept talls right into play. Barrass seems to be a good match up for Cox and I think that really hurts you guys in terms of getting the ball to more dangerous spots i50.

It was a great contest and pretty clearly the skill level of both sides is a cut above the majority of what we have seen around the league this season.

You guys will be right there at the pointy end again no doubt. Good luck from here.
Way too much sense. We prefer to be hysterical.

Far too early in the season to lose our collective minds. 1-2 in the first three games is a pass for me but now its critical we win at least 5 of the next 6 if we're really going to challenge again. Being at the game, it seemed pretty apparent that the Eagles' defensive scheme is second to none. They shut down just about all of our switches after quarter time and we pretty much had to get all our goals through luck or individual brilliance from then on. I still think we should win our fair share of games as very few teams have the personnel or collective discipline to strangle us the way the Eagles and Cats have so far.

I think on our side we just play with a lot of discipline in our structures.
Yeah, this exactly. Being at the game made this all the more apparent. I highly doubt there are many teams that can replicate this standard of defence over 4 quarters which is why I'm not as pissed off about this loss as some other people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WCE are as tight as a drum defensively. Brilliantly coached and players read it and respond so quickly, much better than any other team at making in game adjustments. On point with all the little professional things to stop the ball for a few extra seconds to help set up in defence. Just a super professional outfit.

Pretty sure they will be in the grannie. Have the same 2 teams ever been in the gf 2 years in a row? taht would be interesting.
You need to look at our history

It was simply a carbon copy of the grand final except we didn't take our chances as well when we were on top.

It's not so much that West coast is a bogey team as much as we simply don't line up well against them.

We didn't correct any of our weaknesses in the off season, and their tall players out marked ours time and time again when they were on top.

Not the end of the world, we still played fairly well so it wasn't a Geelong style loss. 1-2 was where I had us when looking at our draw, so hopefully we can turn it around as the season progresses.

Last edited:
On the footy show this morning they showed four instances where the eagles were just harder at the ball than us,which led directly to four goals.They were definitely harder at the contest than us,and the second quarter was a disaster for us.The game was won and lost in that quarter.We lost all self belief after they took control in that quarter.

This.

In the cold hard light of day, I feel even worse than last night.

I can’t shake off my disappointment. And I hate saying this about a Collingwood team, but where was the spirit, the pride? It was a shocker.
We were rarely first to the ball, did not run hard, did not help teammates, simply were not hard enough.

Did we think this year was just gonna happen, without a superhuman effort? We will need that now to climb out of this trough.

This.

In the cold hard light of day, I feel even worse than last night.

I can’t shake off my disappointment. And I hate saying this about a Collingwood team, but where was the spirit, the pride? It was a shocker.
We were rarely first to the ball, did not run hard, did not help teammates, simply were not hard enough.

Did we think this year was just gonna happen, without a superhuman effort? We will need that now to climb out of this trough.
C’mon VP, we weren’t that bad

C’mon VP, we weren’t that bad

I think we were jmac. Sorry, but I’m despairing of what I saw last night.

Gloomy all day, haven’t been able to watch any other footy.

Guess I’ll be over it by Friday, and back to the G.

I think we were jmac. Sorry, but I’m despairing of what I saw last night.

Gloomy all day, haven’t been able to watch any other footy.

Guess I’ll be over it by Friday, and back to the G.
It was a high quality game VP. If we lose to the dogs I will share your despair

They do it intelligently. They do it before there is any separation, rather than reaching out like Howe did.
Yes they do it well it wastes far more time then Howes 1-2 second grab and release. They often buy the defence up to 30 secs to set up.
Whether there is separation of not the rule is to prevent time wasting and disadvantaging the team with the ball. How the 50s dont get paid in those situations is a farce.
Howes 50m was harsh as the gap between the mark and him touching the opponent was minimal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back