Autopsy Eagles Post Match: We’re on to the Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes they do it well it wastes far more time then Howes 1-2 second grab and release. They often buy the defence up to 30 secs to set up.
Whether there is separation of not the rule is to prevent time wasting and disadvantaging the team with the ball. How the 50s dont get paid in those situations is a farce.
Howes 50m was harsh as the gap between the mark and him touching the opponent was minimal.
The ones where two blokes are on the ground are too hard to call. Can't tell if it's genuine time wasting or staging for the 50.

C’mon VP, we weren’t that bad

It's funny because most of the game reviews were basically saying that it was clearly the two best teams in the comp going at it.

I felt their were some mistakes but we were right in the game up until that s**t 50 in the last. Not blaming that for the loss but it was a close game.

The same thing happened in 2010. Lost to the best teams early in the year then got on top at the end of the year.

As long as we make top 4 we are a chance. Hell nowadays top 8 is a chance. We can set the season up over the next 6 weeks and if we play like we did last night we will win most of them.

The ones where two blokes are on the ground are too hard to call. Can't tell if it's genuine time wasting or staging for the 50.

There were plenty where we had a player standing and a WC player on the ground holding his legs to prevent him running back or off...they're not hard to call. Also even the wrestling ones most the time you can see who is instigating and who is playing for frees. just call the obvious ones will do.

It was simply a carbon copy of the grand final except we didn't take our chances as well when we were on top.

It's not so much that West coast is a bogey team as much as we simply don't line up well against them.

We didn't correct any of our weaknesses in the off season, and their tall players out marked ours time and time again when they were on top.

Not the end of the world, we still played fairly well so it wasn't a Geelong style loss. 1-2 was where I had us when looking at our draw, so hopefully we can turn it around as the season progresses.

So you came into the season thinking we would be on a losing ledger after 3 rounds? after being in the GF you thought we would go backwards or even stagnate?

I think I was of the opposite I thought we could be 2-1 if we improved over summer, unfortunately I think we have tread water.

There were plenty where we had a player standing and a WC player on the ground holding his legs to prevent him running back or off...they're not hard to call. Also even the wrestling ones most the time you can see who is instigating and who is playing for frees. just call the obvious ones will do.
I tend to agree overall, but it doesn't seem to be the way they are adjudicated. WCE play it beautifully to the adjudication They other thing is that WCE are very good at staying in the protected area until they get a warning without overstaying long enough to cop a penalty.

So you came into the season thinking we would be on a losing ledger after 3 rounds? after being in the GF you thought we would go backwards or even stagnate?

I think I was of the opposite I thought we could be 2-1 if we improved over summer, unfortunately I think we have tread water.

Looking at the games I thought there would be a win, a loss, and a draw/toss-up that could go either way. (And I thought Geelong would be the win, Richmond the toss up, and WC the loss.)

It just so happens that Richmond seems to have gone backwards and became the win, Geelong went forwards and beat us in a tight game, and WC did what they did. I’m not happy about 1-2 but realistically it wasn’t out of the question. If they drop this next one to the Bulldogs though we can start to think about panicking...

Absolutely, it was momentum sapping and they were not even penalties.
I’d love for a senior coach to come out and spray the umpiring, make the AFL stand up and take notice.
They are unaccountable

By the letter of the law, both 50's were there. Umps just generally give more leaway. I think the below the knees free will get get changed before too long.

They are a well drilled team with their zone, we didn’t have the quickness, run and overlap handball to get it forward before they set up.

The slow kicking around style we played against Richmond will never work against West Coast.

We need an extra tall as well when we play them.

They are very good at slowing players down for a few seconds allowing them extra time to set up.

Bulldogs had 24 more disposals, 15 more free kicks, 14 more clearances & 18 more inside 50s than the Suns, and lost by 5 points.

If we cant get past this mob, at the G, then its time to panic.

Almost season over if we lose that. We need to make sure we beat every low side again if we are going to struggle against top sides in the regular season again. It doesn't matter if we are not at our best now but we need the 4 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You

This is the biggest issue we have. With Pendles, Sidey, Treloar, Adams, Beams, De Goey and a reasonable support crew, why do we get beaten out of the middle every week when we have one of the best rucks in the league? Grundy getting 11 clearances is crazy... in the last quarter it seemed like he wasn’t even expecting others to clear forward him, just tapped it to ground and roved it himself!
Yes, no one seem to want to get in and clear the ball, except maybe for Adams. We are supposed to have the best midfield but only hype and on paper. Time for them to stand up and be counted.

If we want to beat WC we'll need to find a better strategy than this kick it to McGovern one.

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Like many, I’ve felt the need to have a permanent ruck coach. I know we have Rocca but he never rucked.

A decent ruck coach would definitely improve strategy and cohesion in this situation.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

What has a ruck coach got to do with blatant arrogance from our onballers and coaches.

Who the f k thought it a good idea at every stoppage to leave a WC player free?

Still frustrated about last night I thought we were going to show something.

All it proved is we have a lot of work to do.

Grundy always talks to the midfielders before a bounce you’re wrong loki04

I'm sympathetic to this sentiment. Phillips and Greenwood in the forward line is a joke. Neither will consistently hit the scoreboard and neither offers the tackling, harassing and poise that Varcoe does.

But the backline you've named does not match up adequately to the Kennedy, Darling, Vardy, Allen combination.

Disagree.Moore to Kennedy. Howe to Darling. like we had. I like Langdon on a ruckman, it might cost us the occasional contested mark, but it means his zoning off contains less risk. I also like Crisp on a third tall, because he's not bad in the air and can more easily cause damage on the rebound.

What has a ruck coach got to do with blatant arrogance from our onballers and coaches.

Fair enough cant say I've noticed him do it with any regularity but that's on TV.

The centre set up seems very disorganised.

Our centre square plans irritate the hell out of me.
It seems to me we have Plan A of Grundy knocking it backwards to Beams or Adams. If that doesn't work, all players try to tackle and lock the ball in for another bounce. When the ball gets out, chase their player who receives it after being left unmarked because his opponent is unnecessarily tackling someone who had already been tackled.

I thought all three were danger games and the likely win would be Geelong while the other two were more likely losses than wins. Turns out I had the win wrong.

Not saying I didn't think or hope we could have been 3-0, but the more likely result would be that we drop 1 or 2 of the games.

The thing is although I think we have a great midfield, I don't think we have the best list in the competition. West Coast are the team to beat and the cats midfield seems to have gelled better than last year, with the new additions doing well. Richmond can't handle their injuries and Melbourne have fallen apart.

Cats and eagles are the teams to beat so far, while we aren't far behind. Its still early days and if we are the real deal we should be favourites for every match until the bye. Although I predict we drop a game or two (as all teams do) we should be well in the hunt for top 4 by then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back